Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Daily Telegraph says

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Re: Re: The Daily Telegraph says

Lokki 7 said:
. Actually, come to think of it so is the £75k a year we pay Adam Virgo.

he is not paid anywhere near that figure (so I'm told...no mention of souce !!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
Do the club have an agent working for them?

Is there anything you like about our club?

I would think that the answer to the first is obviously YES or we wouldnt have paid them/him/her £33.095.

The answer to the second is YES that is why I care for this club so much that I am prpepared to go out on a limb and be castigated for saying things that I KNOW to be true or to express an opinion on an issue.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I would think that the answer to the first is obviously YES or we wouldnt have paid them/him/her £33.095.

The answer to the second is YES that is why I care for this club so much that I am prpepared to go out on a limb and be castigated for saying things that I KNOW to be true or to express an opinion on an issue.

The agents that the club have paid will be the players agents, not their own one.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:

In our case do we not have a director capable of dealing with an agent directly in the cases of Leon Knight Mark McGhee and Alexis Nicholas and their contracts.

The problem here is that you don't even know what the fees were for. How do you know that any of the fees went towards negotiations with these players or the manager? You don't. The money may well have gone towards legitimate work done for the club by agents. But hey it's better to just make stuff up isn't it? It's more fun that way.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While questioning the club about paying £33,000 for players’ agent is a perfectly legitimate course of action, BG believes that this is a glorious opportunity to take a swipe at the club’s current board.

However, any legitimacy coming from Ben’s Grandad’s query is almost certainly reduced to zero by virtue of the fact that he is bitter about Dick being chairman of the club, and by the charge that he believes that Archer, Stanley and Bellotti, if still running the club, would have got us our new stadium by now. That’s not conjecture, he said it himself.

Therefore, any comments made by Ben’s Grandad about the current board lack any credibility.

I think we should wait for the club’s response to mine and Perth Seagull’s question in ‘Ask the Club’ before the fun and games starts up on here. If Ben's Grandad then disbelieves the response, he should present some evidence.

But he hasn't got any, has he?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Uncle Buck, I strongly suspect it's the latter comment.

Bens Grandad, agents are part of the modern game. Did you watch Footbal Diaries on BBC2. Skye Brackpool was amazing. He appeared to be somewhere between contract lawyer and east end spiv. He knew all the angles of the game, and the law to go with it.

Now just imaginge if a lwyer was hired for every contract deal. Most clubs, which there are many, in our situation would have a huge blck hole of extra fees to find.

Agents, like them or not are part of the status quo. I think you will find they are here to stay.

Re: Re: Re: The Daily Telegraph says

The Auditor said:

I knew someone would pick me up but I was making a point. Still, as you say and BG seconds, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
While questioning the club about paying £33,000 for players’ agent is a perfectly legitimate course of action, BG believes that this is a glorious opportunity to take a swipe at the club’s current board.

However, any legitimacy coming from Ben’s Grandad’s query is almost certainly reduced to zero by virtue of the fact that he is bitter about Dick being chairman of the club, and by the charge that he believes that Archer, Stanley and Bellotti, if still running the club, would have got us our new stadium by now. That’s not conjecture, he said it himself.

Therefore, any comments made by Ben’s Grandad about the current board lack any credibility.

I think we should wait for the club’s response to mine and Perth Seagull’s question in ‘Ask the Club’ before the fun and games starts up on here. If Ben's Grandad then disbelieves the response, he should present some evidence.

But he hasn't got any, has he?

You really area prat that cannot see the wood from the tress and cannot express an opinion or view without trying to demean anybody.

If as you say the club has paid players agents to secure their services why it is the players responsibility to do this.

I am not suggesting that the directors of the club have done wrong just queried why there was a need to do this if they were competant themselves or employed competant solicitors. Is this so wrong?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
BensGrandad said:
[I am not suggesting that the directors of the club have done wrong just queried why there was a need to do this if they were competant themselves or employed competant solicitors. Is this so wrong? [/B]

Please see my earlier post re Skye Brackpool, sir.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
BensGrandad said:
As I quoted earlier Simon Jordan is of the opinion that it is the players who should pay the agents for the work they do in securing them a contract NOT the club as he demonstrated with Tim Cahill and if ALL clubs stuck to that principal then the power of agents would be reduced thus saving the club money.

It won't ever happen for as long as demand for talented players exceeds supply.

For a died-in-the-wood Tory like yourself, I'd have thought you'd have supported the ' free market ' ethic in the modern game, that the more you're prepared to pay, the better chance you have of attracting the best players.

You should be applauding the football agent, as with any entrepreneur, for spotting a gap in the market, and exploiting it to their own ends.

But no, instead you seem to be recommending a ' Cartel ' style trade barrier - not exactly the 'survival of the fittest' whilst the rest can wither and die that Maggie endorsed.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
All negotiations on contracts, transfers and fees have to be done through agents in the FL. A £10K bond is required before you can represent a player and no negotiations are able to take place until that happens. There is no way round it.

So the fact that we have brought in Currie, Jarrett, Nicolas, Claridgeand McCammon and sold Currie and Cullip during this period all for £33K seems to me to be reasonably good business.

The player is being represented so in MOST cases it will be the player's interest that the agent has at heart, which in turn will get him a slice of the action. In very few cases will the club come first.

Most companies pay consultants fees for work done just like the club has done so what is the problem?

Just thank god we've not paid the kind of money Leeds have which may lead them to go into administration now that the 41st takeover has failed!

DK and MP make some strange decisions in my opinion but this is not one of them.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
You really area prat that cannot see the wood from the tress and cannot express an opinion or view without trying to demean anybody.

If as you say the club has paid players agents to secure their services why it is the players responsibility to do this.

I am not suggesting that the directors of the club have done wrong just queried why there was a need to do this if they were competant themselves or employed competant solicitors. Is this so wrong?

Substantiate please, how are they incompetant wrt there transfer dealing and how do there dealing deviate from the rest of the football. They have followed the normal practice (not nice I grant you, but not illegal) and have done what the fast majority of other clubs have done .. so how is that incompetant?

You can't chuck accusations around like that without substatiating them,especially if the club are following the nrom. It could be argued that loosing out on Nicolas and Knight becuase they wouldn't pay the agents would have been incompetant and not in the best interest of the club.

What in you view would have been in the best interest of the club .... ?

BTW ...

The reason Jordan didn't pay was because he didn't have the money ....

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Re: Re: Re: The Daily Telegraph says

The Auditor said:

Didn't he say in some magazine a couple of days ago that that is what he was being paid?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've just changed jobs and my new firm paid an agent for finding me.

It's the way of the world, isn't it?

What I don't expect is for the agent to get involved when I negotiate a pay rise, but then my contract isn't for a limited period, so I guess that's where things become different.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
And we have!!

In this particular case we did .... Jordan didn't think the extra cost incurred by the agents fee was worth the player. We obviously did, it may well been taken into account when the fee was agreed. The problem that Jordan had was that he hadn't taken this into account and so it caught him by suprised.

Anyway, you still haven't answered the question ... in your view what should the board have done wrt the agents fee, secondly, in what way are the board incompetant.

You can't chuck shit without backing it up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having read The Argus and the interview with DK I have no problem with the payments that he has made as regards Currie, Nicholas and Knight but would add that in the case of Darren Currie he was rather fortuitous as nobody could have expected, knowing his previous history and record that he would be bought by another Championship side thus repaying us all of our money.

However, my beef is why can the directors of the club knowing who is available, this information is available to anybody, not negotiate a deal themselves thus relieving the club of making payments to agents. The agents are acting on behalf of the players so let those the benefit i.e the player pay their commission or expenses.

This may be the way of the football world and is made plain in Tom Bowers book Broken Dreams about the money Dennis Roach aqquired but it doesnt make it right that a club with so little money as ours that they have to keep asking for donations should have to pay it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here