Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Daily Telegraph says

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In todays Daily Telegraph they say that we paid £33,095 in agents fees between July and Dec 04.

On whom and for what?

For a club that is appealing to its fans to give money to keep ity afloat it seems a lot of money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt look at ask the the club because opinions cannot be expressed on there that is only for the those dedicated to ' the gospel according to St Dick'.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
opinions cannot be expressed on there
Thats because it's not for opinions. It's for facts.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I didnt look at ask the the club because opinions cannot be expressed on there that is only for the those dedicated to ' the gospel according to St Dick'.

You mean as they are not yours, there is something sinister about them?

Regarding why we are paying agent fees, well it is part of modern football. If we want to sign players, agents will be involved. People bitch that we do not sign players and when we do they bitch that we are paying agent fees.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
If we don't pay the agent, we don't sign Alexis Nicolas.
If we don't pay the agent, Leon Knight doesn't sign the new contract.

Still, any excuse to slag off Dick Knight eh?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
You mean as they are not yours, there is something sinister about them?

Not really but on many occassions an answer is given which could be either incorrect, inadequate or debatable. Granted the vast majority are probably not in any of those catergories but when like this issue the answer falls into the debatable category then it is best posted on here for people to express a view.

I accept that agents are a burden of modern football that we have to bare but it still seems ironic that a club that can continually not just once ask the supporters for cash to keep them afloat cannot take the Simon Jordan route and say that the agents fees is up to the player to pay not the club.

Are the agents working for the best interests of :
(a) The player
(b) The Club
(c) Couldnt give a damn as long as they earn loads of money for very little work.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Not really but on many occassions an answer is given which is either incorrect, inadequate or debatable. Granted the vast majority are probably not in any of those catergories but when like this issue the answer falls into the debatable category then it is best posted on here for people to express a view.

How do you know the answer is incorrect, do you know more than the club, oh great Sage?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:

Are the agents working for the best interests of :
(a) The player
(b) The Club
(c) Couldnt give a damn as long as they earn loads of money for very little work.
Hardly the clubs fault is it. Agents exist in football, that's not gonna change. If we didn't want to pay agents we wouldn't have any players.

It's not difficult.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
How do you know the answer is incorrect, do you know more than the club, oh great Sage?

Careful or he will point you in the direction of these incorrect answers. I don't think.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Agents are out for themselves, always looking for the maximum amount of profit they can squeeze from clubs. It always seems to take us a long time to sort deals out and i'd suggest that a reluctance to pay the agent what he demands could be a cause.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Not really but on many occassions an answer is given which is either incorrect, inadequate or debatable ... When like this issue the answer falls into the debatable category then it is best posted on here for people to express a view.

You really are a spanner. In what way is this debatable? Have the club lied about the figures? Are they in actuality able to operate without players, but haven't told us? Is Elvis alive and washing the kit?

BensGrandad said:
For a club that is appealing to its fans to give money to keep ity afloat it seems a lot of money.

It is a lot of money, but in my view money well spent given the results. The Falmer inquiry is also a lot of money. Actually, come to think of it so is the £75k a year we pay Adam Virgo. And Mark McGhee, what has he ever done for us? God I think your on to something here BG!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I quoted earlier Simon Jordan is of the opinion that it is the players who should pay the agents for the work they do in securing them a contract NOT the club as he demonstrated with Tim Cahill and if ALL clubs stuck to that principal then the power of agents would be reduced thus saving the club money.

In our case do we not have a director capable of dealing with an agent directly in the cases of Leon Knight Mark McGhee and Alexis Nicholas and their contracts. Do the premiership clubs not have similar? Why does the club need to employ and agent to act for them other than make them aware of players who are out of contract.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
In our case do we not have a director capable of dealing with an agent directly in the cases of Leon Knight Mark McGhee and Alexis Nicholas and their contracts. Do the premiership clubs not have similar? Why does the club need to employ and agent to act for them other than make them aware of players who are out of contract.

Do the club have an agent working for them?

Is there anything you like about our club? Or are you one of these people that will take great pleasure in saying 'told you so' if it all goes wrong?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here