Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Cutty Sark

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I wouldn't imagine it would take that long.

http://www.visitbritain.com/corporate/factsfigures/index.aspx

If you guesstimate that people will spend £10 per visit (Transport/Food/Cutty Sark/Other attractions in Greenwich) then you only need 10m visitors to 'break even'.

Not to mention knock on effects, such as employment etc.

liverpool_one said:
joyless existence i have a very happy existence good job nice home beautifull partner. just dont see the point in wasting millions of pounds on something that is as good as gone. the money could be put to alot better uses.

SO CAN WE ALL HAVE OUR MONEY BACK FROM THE "REGENERATION OF LIVERPOOL " THAT THE PUBLIC ARE PAYING FOR THROUGH THEIR TAXES.

cos i Agree with you "just dont see the point in wasting millions of pounds on something that is as good as gone. the money could be put to alot better uses"

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
up until the fire it was £2 to visit the cutty sark visitors centre with no access to ship due to restoration so lets say around a fiver for full tour.
then also take into account that £13 million pounds was given to restore the ship in september 2006 how much is it gonna cost to build a replica which in many peoples eyes will not have the same history as the origional so probably wont bother visiting anyway.

liverpool_one said:
everyone is feeling the cost of the regeneration of liverpool especialy the people of liverpool ie council tax rises.
thats the price of being capital of culture 2008

but my point is that this is pointless and a waste of money............

and why should I bail out these feckless workshy layabouts when I think my taxes could be put to better use like a hospital or schools

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
workshy layabouts = mater of opinion especialy when you dont live here and are probably anti anything north anyway.
regeneration of liverpool a waste of money= yes some of it is but tell that to the people who set up the european funding etc

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What reason would somebody have for torching a part of our national heritage?

Maybe the sheer boredom engendered by the media circus surrounding Maddy's dismissal has prompted someone to take the news into their own hands?...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
liverpool_one said:
then also take into account that £13 million pounds was given to restore the ship in september 2006 how much is it gonna cost to build a replica which in many peoples eyes will not have the same history as the origional so probably wont bother visiting anyway.

I was just wondering this morning how much of the Victory is original. Assumably it has been repaired or renovated just about everywhere by now so is probably not very original at all? It is perceived to be because it has been slow ongoing work. The Cutty Sark after a refurb MAY be just as original as the Victory (i.e not very, possibly) but will always be seen as a replica from here on in.

Seagull Stew

Pavilionaire said:
What reason would somebody have for torching a part of our national heritage?

Maybe the sheer boredom engendered by the media circus surrounding Maddy's dismissal has prompted someone to take the news into their own hands?...

Or it's a bunch of chavs thinking it would be a laugh!

Hopefully the place is CCTV'ed up to the eyeballs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stew, what reason would English Heritage / Greenwhich Council have pointing CCTV cameras at the £1 million a year tourist attraction Cutty Sark when that equipment can otherwise be usefully deployed watching, say, a hospital car park?

Seagull Stew

Pavilionaire said:
Stew, what reason would English Heritage / Greenwhich Council have pointing CCTV cameras at the £1 million a year tourist attraction Cutty Sark when that equipment can otherwise be usefully deployed watching, say, a hospital car park?

:lolol:

Personally I find the fire very sad indeed. As I kid I went on a school trip to Greenwich and was in awe of the great ship. As an adult I lived 100m from the Cutty Sark for a year and greatly enjoyed the historic atmosphere of the area. It is something that can never be replaced and I am saddened that future generations will not be able to experience what I have been lucky enough to enjoy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here