Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Double decker bus over at the Meridian centre in Peacehaven doing a drop in service today. Just popped over during a break at work & had my 2nd jab, along with my son. Happy Days.

Need more of this.

There are plenty of people who don't engage with the health services, or the news, or outside world frankly. Not sure why, but anyway, what's important is that we give as many opportunities to people to get jabbed as we can.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Need more of this.

There are plenty of people who don't engage with the health services, or the news, or outside world frankly. Not sure why, but anyway, what's important is that we give as many opportunities to people to get jabbed as we can.

100%.

There were a few older people there for their first jab which I was surprised at tbh. Quite obviously very nervous about it all, but the volunteers were doing a great job at reassuring them and making sure they knew exactly what was happening etc.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Public Health England has just published real-world data - as opposed to those from clinical trials - suggesting having a second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine lifts its efficacy from about 60% to 90%.

We had already seen data on the effectiveness of the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, but these are the first to estimate the effects of the second dose of the AZ vaccine.

The study, published by PHE, looked at cases of coronavirus detected in the community among those aged over 65 (the first groups to be vaccinated).

It found that, a fortnight after the first dose of the Pfizer or AZ vaccine, the odds of getting symptomatic Covid fell by nearly 60%, consistent with previous reports.

After a second dose of Pfizer or AZ, cases were about 90% lower than among those who had not been vaccinated.

These results are better than those observed in the clinical trials and those assumed by scientific modellers supporting the most recent unlocking.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Public Health England has just published real-world data - as opposed to those from clinical trials - suggesting having a second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine lifts its efficacy from about 60% to 90%.

We had already seen data on the effectiveness of the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, but these are the first to estimate the effects of the second dose of the AZ vaccine.

The study, published by PHE, looked at cases of coronavirus detected in the community among those aged over 65 (the first groups to be vaccinated).

It found that, a fortnight after the first dose of the Pfizer or AZ vaccine, the odds of getting symptomatic Covid fell by nearly 60%, consistent with previous reports.

After a second dose of Pfizer or AZ, cases were about 90% lower than among those who had not been vaccinated.

These results are better than those observed in the clinical trials and those assumed by scientific modellers supporting the most recent unlocking.

Blimey... I didn’t expect to see you in this thread. Well done x

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You posting on the CVGNT is good news in itself............hope you’re seeing some of the positive news

All good in the numbers today too - infections stable and deaths and admissions continue to fall on a week by week basis. Only 50 deaths in the last 7 days, and 77 admissions reported. First-jab numbers are rising dramatically again too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just 9 deaths reported today - 42 in the week which is 40% down, admissions also down over 9% - and almost 700k jabs administered.

The UK seven-day rolling average of daily COVID deaths* has fallen to 6 - the lowest level since the start of the pandemic (i.e. March 2020).

The previous low was an average of 7 per day, recorded on 2 September last year.

*within 28 days of a positive test.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1395756976534081545?s=21

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Had my second Jab at the racecourse Friday late afternoon (4:30ish). It was very busy with a short queue to get in . Once again amazed at the efficiency of it all.

The next big test comes over the next week leading up to next weekend. The concern about the Indian variant became a big news story in the week before the 21st May easing of restrictions, and so if it is going to be a major issue then cases, hospitalisations, and deaths should all be rising now. It appears that they aren't. Cases caused by the relaxation last week will start to reflect in the figures from this weekend. So far it all looks very promising . IF figures do not start to show a marked increase in the next few days
then really think we can say the end is not only in sight but coming up very fast

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Two doses from either the AstraZeneca or the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine are over 80 per cent effective in preventing infection from the Indian variant, a new Government study has found.

Data published by Public Health England also revealed that the two doses provides 87 per cent protection from the Kent variant discovered earlier this year.

The study's findings were presented to a meeting of the Government’s New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Had my second Jab at the racecourse Friday late afternoon (4:30ish). It was very busy with a short queue to get in . Once again amazed at the efficiency of it all.

The next big test comes over the next week leading up to next weekend. The concern about the Indian variant became a big news story in the week before the 21st May easing of restrictions, and so if it is going to be a major issue then cases, hospitalisations, and deaths should all be rising now. It appears that they aren't. Cases caused by the relaxation last week will start to reflect in the figures from this weekend. So far it all looks very promising . IF figures do not start to show a marked increase in the next few days
then really think we can say the end is not only in sight but coming up very fast

Cases seem to be rising slightly I think, but only slightly and not enough to be of any real significance. And certainly not enough to be of any consequence. Case numbers may get influenced by testing regimes, so I don't think it's the most reliable indicator. Deaths wouldn't rise or fall, for quite a while anyway - there's a few weeks before cases translate to deaths and a long 'tail'.

So hospital admissions are the key metric for me, and so far they are still heading in the right direction. As long as we dont see any dramatic rise in admissions then we are good. And I'd expect that to be the case. All indications are positive. But given the small element of uncertainty that still remains around the variant, its good to be cautious. One step at a time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
[TWEET]1396132348769492998[/TWEET]

I think it has been declining a few days now so really good news.

I had my 2nd jab this afternoon and am over the moon about it to use a football cliche. We will beat this virus mostly through vaccination and the NHS and govt have done us proud in the roll-out. I am so grateful to all the doctors and nurses who have worked tirelessly for months on end jabbing arms. Must get boring but at the same time be extremely satisfying to know that what you are doing is part of the answer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it has been declining a few days now so really good news.

I had my 2nd jab this afternoon and am over the moon about it to use a football cliche. We will beat this virus mostly through vaccination and the NHS and govt have done us proud in the roll-out. I am so grateful to all the doctors and nurses who have worked tirelessly for months on end jabbing arms. Must get boring but at the same time be extremely satisfying to know that what you are doing is part of the answer.

Got my first on Wednesday - does seem like they're absolutely flying through the 30-39 year old age group now which is good, as that'll make a big difference on spread.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The UK seven-day rolling average of daily COVID deaths* has fallen to 6 - the lowest level since the start of the pandemic (i.e. March 2020).

The previous low was an average of 7 per day, recorded on 2 September last year.

*within 28 days of a positive test.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1395756976534081545?s=21
42 deaths last week. But bearing in mind that 1 in 1,000 pr so have had a positive test in the last 28 days, even if there were no deaths caused by coronavirus at all, the law of averages suggests that there should be about 10 deaths per week with a recent positive test.

When you add in the number of people who were admitted to hospital with their ultimate fatal illness, and caught coronavirus while they were in there - I don't know the number, but there are some - then the number is getting almost as low as it can be.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Got my first on Wednesday - does seem like they're absolutely flying through the 30-39 year old age group now which is good, as that'll make a big difference on spread.

Huge difference in spread. You youngsters are largely more sociable than us oldies! And congratulations on the jab, when I had my first jab, it almost felt unreal - especially as I knew how long vaccines usually take to develop. It really is an amazing achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here