Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The Government are considering ‘surge vaccinations’ in areas where the Indian strain is in danger of getting out of control. This seems like a great idea, I really hope they pull the trigger and start doing it ASAP as delaying these decision could be costly.

I believe the process has already begun in Blackburn

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Surprised that this story hasn’t appeared here. Results from testing on 1000 taffs has been extrapolated to estimate that 63% have Covid antibodies. What’s most interesting to me is that 38% of 16-34 years have antibodies despite vaccinations not having been rolled out for that age group yet. No doubt there will be some in the more-vulnerable category, such as diabetics, asthmatics and fatties, but even with that accounted for there must be well over 30% that have naturally developed a degree of immunity.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57101238.amp

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Surprised that this story hasn’t appeared here. Results from testing on 1000 taffs has been extrapolated to estimate that 63% have Covid antibodies. What’s most interesting to me is that 38% of 16-34 years have antibodies despite vaccinations not having been rolled out for that age group yet. No doubt there will be some in the more-vulnerable category, such as diabetics, asthmatics and fatties, but even with that accounted for there must be well over 30% that have naturally developed a degree of immunity.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57101238.amp

Actually over 30% of 16-30 year olds have been vaccinated in Wales (including my 28 year old daughter). We are ahead of the game here!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
CDC
@CDCgov
UPDATE: If you are fully vaccinated against #COVID19, you can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal or territorial laws, incl. local business and workplace guidance. More:

USA fully trusting the vaccine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
CDC
@CDCgov
UPDATE: If you are fully vaccinated against #COVID19, you can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal or territorial laws, incl. local business and workplace guidance. More:

USA fully trusting the vaccine.

I’ve got a grudging admiration for how the US deals with certain things. It’s a bit like road accidents.....on the M25, the police’s first action is to close it for several hours for ‘accident investigation work’. The first priority in the US is ‘get that wreckage off the freeway and get it open’.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I’ve got a grudging admiration for how the US deals with certain things. It’s a bit like road accidents.....on the M25, the police’s first action is to close it for several hours for ‘accident investigation work’. The first priority in the US is ‘get that wreckage off the freeway and get it open’.

Fully aware this is off topic (for which I apologise), but about 18months ago I hit traffic on what was probably the M11. About a minute later I reached the front of the queue, where I saw two men hastily carrying a sofa across the carriageway.

How it got there, what they were doing with it, who they were, all these questions went through my head and were never answered. But they got out of the way and we all carried on.

To give a veneer of relevance, my mum, dad, and stepdad have all had their vaccinations and are either on their way to the 2nd or have had it.

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I like that analogy. To that end, Texas opened up pretty much completely over a month ago, including capacity stadiums (such as the 75,000 at the INDOOR AT&T stadium for the BJS Canelo fight at the weekend). Thanks to high vaccination levels, the numbers continue to trend down.

texas.fw.png

Yoda

English & European
Roughly 1 in 1,400 in UK have Covid - ONS survey

Estimates from the Office for National Statistics survey suggest about 47,000 people in the UK would have tested positive for coronavirus in the week to 8 May, down from 57,000 people the previous week.

This is 0.07% of the population – or one in 1,375 people.

It has roughly halved in a week in Wales and Northern Ireland, nearly halved in Scotland but has only decreased slightly in England.

Good news that the ONS figures are still decreasing despite the number of the India variant going up by in the same week.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1393190381605605379[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1393104365171392514[/TWEET]

Vaccinations ramping up now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

So based on AZ, which is the majority, fully vaccinated have there chances of catching subject to a factor of 0.35, and if they they catch it the chance of being infectious to others reduces by 0.5. Overall this means the chances of catching and passing on the virus reduces by a factor of 0.175.

Based on an unprotected (ie no social distancing or lockdown measures) R rate of 3.5, that factor would reduce the R rate to 0.61. That’s obviously based on 100% vaccine take up, but 0.61 gives a lot of leeway for a proportion of anti-vax nutters and more infectious strains whilst still keeping the R to <1.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So based on AZ, which is the majority, fully vaccinated have there chances of catching subject to a factor of 0.35, and if they they catch it the chance of being infectious to others reduces by 0.5. Overall this means the chances of catching and passing on the virus reduces by a factor of 0.175.

Based on an unprotected (ie no social distancing or lockdown measures) R rate of 3.5, that factor would reduce the R rate to 0.61. That’s obviously based on 100% vaccine take up, but 0.61 gives a lot of leeway for a proportion of anti-vax nutters and more infectious strains whilst still keeping the R to <1.

Hmm...no I best not

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I personally think it’s good news

But it seems like it’s a vaccine free for all now?

I know people on their 20s being invited without medical conditions

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
35 years old, been offered my vaccine appt today. Very happy.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Had my 2nd jab (Astra Zenica) 2 weeks ago, 3 days ago I also took part in the clinical trials to measure anti-bodies in my system. They sent me a self diagnosis kit through the post which I duly did, on the test stick where I expected to see a clear indication bar saying I had lots of anti-bodies, it was extremely faint. In fact I could barely see it but my Grandson confirmed it was there but very faint, you then have to take a photo of the result and upload it to the Hospitals website and complete a long questionnaire. I couldn't even see it on the photo but trust the level showed means I am at least a bit protected.
:shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Had my 2nd jab (Astra Zenica) 2 weeks ago, 3 days ago I also took part in the clinical trials to measure anti-bodies in my system. They sent me a self diagnosis kit through the post which I duly did, on the test stick where I expected to see a clear indication bar saying I had lots of anti-bodies, it was extremely faint. In fact I could barely see it but my Grandson confirmed it was there but very faint, you then have to take a photo of the result and upload it to the Hospitals website and complete a long questionnaire. I couldn't even see it on the photo but trust the level showed means I am at least a bit protected.
:shrug:
I’ve had the same kit which I sorted out Friday night....couldn’t see anything ..sigh ...not had 2nd jab yet though...due in a fortnight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here