Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Leaked NHS vaccination scheme apparently plans for everyone wanting a vaccine to be able to have one by April. Seems ambitions, but imagine....

[tweet]1329815085452308484[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Daily hospitalisations beginning to head downwards.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really quite uplifting listening to the news this morning.........hearing the Pfizer CEO speak, followed by doctors and others in the UK that are involved in actual full-on logistical planning for administering the vaccine now. Real sense of the light at the end of the tunnel getting nice and bright.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A new study suggests that asymptomatic people with Covid can’t pass it on.

A6CA97FC-576B-4650-952D-03BD4CBEB931.jpeg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A bit hesitant to post this as it's efficacy is not as high as Moderna or Pfizer's vaccines but still good in the fight against Covid as it is much easier to make and distribute and also cheaper to produce.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

The natural R number, with no social distancing etc., is supposed to be around 3, so a 70% effectiveness is sufficient to bring that to <1, which is all that’s required. And that’s not even accounting for the fact that this can rise to 90% depending on how the doses are administered.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The natural R number, with no social distancing etc., is supposed to be around 3, so a 70% effectiveness is sufficient to bring that to <1, which is all that’s required. And that’s not even accounting for the fact that this can rise to 90% depending on how the doses are administered.

Yes, that is what I understand, things are moving in the right way!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The best news is that the Oxford vaccine is dirt cheap and can be stored in a fridge which is a lot better than -70.

And by the sounds of things 70 Percent or more effective. Lower than the others but still higher than some flu vaccines

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A bit hesitant to post this as it's efficacy is not as high as Moderna or Pfizer's vaccines but still good in the fight against Covid as it is much easier to make and distribute and also cheaper to produce.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

this is such good news. as noted the cost and storage make this far more effective for roll out than the Pfizer/Moderna types. they can focus on medical staff and other high risk, the Oxford vaccine rolled out quickly to the masses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If I understood what I heard on Radio 4 correctly it's up to 90% when a half dose is given, followed by a full one a month later. This makes 1.5 doses compared to 2 of others and the low dose comes first. That will make it easier to roll out to people as well.

I truly believe this is the beginning of the end. Noises from government in other Today interviews were "back to normal in 4 months".

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If I understood what I heard on Radio 4 correctly it's up to 90% when a half dose is given, followed by a full one a month later. This makes 1.5 doses compared to 2 of others and the low dose comes first. That will make it easier to roll out to people as well.

I truly believe this is the beginning of the end. Noises from government in other Today interviews were "back to normal in 4 months".

It’s what was reported on bbc.co.uk as well. Also significant results were that not one person who received the vaccine and still caught COVID was hospitalised due to severe symptoms.

The diversity of at least 3 different effective vaccines is a huge boost.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im sure Marshy will confirm this, but my wife came home Friday saying that EVERY member of staff at the RSCH now has the option to take a test every TWO days, to make sure they are clear of the virus.
Incredibly reassuring, and its one of only a handful of hospitals in the country to be part of the programme doing this I believe.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im sure Marshy will confirm this, but my wife came home Friday saying that EVERY member of staff at the RSCH now has the option to take a test every TWO days, to make sure they are clear of the virus.
Incredibly reassuring, and its one of only a handful of hospitals in the country to be part of the programme doing this I believe.

Hi, yes I have been given the self test kits, I have been asked to do 2 a week, which I am happy to do. I am at PRH in HH

I may have some news later. Which is not just stat related :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've been extremely reluctant to criticise the media coverage of this (many of the criticisms of the coverage for being "too negative" I found to be from people who were a bit keen on the "happy clappy" news and the idea this would just go away on it's own), but the parroting of the 70% figure this morning is hugely misleading and I worry will cause people to not trust the vaccine, which is wrong as when it is given in the way it is planned to be given it's efficacy is much nearer 90% than 70%.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I've been extremely reluctant to criticise the media coverage of this (many of the criticisms of the coverage for being "too negative" I found to be from people who were a bit keen on the "happy clappy" news and the idea this would just go away on it's own), but the parroting of the 70% figure this morning is hugely misleading and I worry will cause people to not trust the vaccine, which is wrong as when it is given in the way it is planned to be given it's efficacy is much nearer 90% than 70%.

Does seem to be played down a fair bit. Even 70% is brilliant though as same as Flu vaccine and we are not locked down with that.

Like you say , 90% does seem to be the figure with correct dosage

Fantastic news.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it is annoying, especially as this is better than necessary and the Pfizer is only 60% effective in single dose. typical British response, down playing a success.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Agree with this.

I have understood why there has been a tendency towards caution, and even some of the doom and gloom from govt spokespeople and media, given the danger (and reality, looking at behaviour of many around me) of complacency and the irresponsble political opportunism from some. America has shown us the danger of that. The positivity on this thread has been really important, but it's also been important to stay realistic.

But this is excellent news, no doubt about it and deserves far more positivity.70% - 90% effectiveness (plus keeping everyone who gets it out of hospital) is more than good enough for the majority, and given how much easier and cheaper than the other options this is, it's an amazing result. Pfzer/Moderna for frontline workers and the most vulnerable. Oxford for the rest of us. And we'll be back at the Amex en masse before the end of this season.

Stick with the rules for a few more months and the health side of this crisis will be over soon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're talking about 130 days until a genuine chance at normality. That really isn't very long in the grand scheme of things. For perspective, the concept of Social Distancing was introduced/implemented on the 1st March, 250 days ago.

I had previously prepared myself mentally for receiving a jab around June/July, so this is all very welcome news.

Also, there will be easing as things improve in the New Year - it won't be tight lockdown for 130 days then SUDDENLY everything opened up.

We can see the home straight now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here