Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've been extremely reluctant to criticise the media coverage of this (many of the criticisms of the coverage for being "too negative" I found to be from people who were a bit keen on the "happy clappy" news and the idea this would just go away on it's own), but the parroting of the 70% figure this morning is hugely misleading and I worry will cause people to not trust the vaccine, which is wrong as when it is given in the way it is planned to be given it's efficacy is much nearer 90% than 70%.
I'm confused, at 7am the BBC radio news said the Oxford vaccine was 70% effective.... At 10 am it's now 90%???... in line with rival vaccines.... Has Johnson asked for the results to be " Liberalised" again?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Doesn't the 70% though provide the % required for herd immunity to come into play. That on its own is a huge moment. Add to that that high risk can be given the other vaccines and suddenly things look so much better for everyone.

This new one may not be quite as effective, but its storage requirements, and its cost mean that it, rather than the other two, is the real game changer on a national and international scale.

Having to keep vaccine at sub arctic temperatures precludes mass vaccination in anything other than "first world" populations as infrastructures simply do not exist across vast swathes of Africa, South America, Asia for it to be practicable for world wide mass use.

As others have said, we are now able to see a clear way out of this in the relative near future, and even possibly by the end of Spring.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm confused, at 7am the BBC radio news said the Oxford vaccine was 70% effective.... At 10 am it's now 90%???... in line with rival vaccines.... Has Johnson asked for the results to be " Liberalised" again?

the dosing make a difference, they've just headlined the standard number, then a better number for non-standard later on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Seems to be all about dosage levels - for comparison, Pfizer's vaccine is 60% effective if just given as one dose.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't the 70% though provide the % required for herd immunity to come into play. That on its own is a huge moment. Add to that that high risk can be given the other vaccines and suddenly things look so much better for everyone.

This new one may not be quite as effective, but its storage requirements, and its cost mean that it, rather than the other two, is the real game changer on a national and international scale.

Having to keep vaccine at sub arctic temperatures precludes mass vaccination in anything other than "first world" populations as infrastructures simply do not exist across vast swathes of Africa, South America, Asia for it to be practicable for world wide mass use.

As others have said, we are now able to see a clear way out of this in the relative near future, and even possibly by the end of Spring.

For me a really key thing is also that the Oxford vaccine is not-for-profit. Feel much more comfortable about that given it will likely be used to help a lot of poorer countries who will be desperate for it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Oxford results are really interesting (and potentially incredibly encouraging) - actually more effective with overall LESS vaccine over two shots.

What did the trial show?
More than 20,000 volunteers were involved, half in the UK, the rest in Brazil.

There were 30 cases of Covid in people who had two doses of the vaccine and 101 cases in people who received a dummy injection.

The researchers said it works out at 70% protection.

When volunteers were given two "high" doses the protection was 62%, but this rose to 90% when people were given a "low" dose followed by a high one. It's not clear why there is a difference.

"We're really pleased with these results," Prof Andrew Pollard, the trial's lead investigator, told the BBC.

He said the 90% effectiveness data was "intriguing" and would mean "we would have a lot more doses to distribute."

There were also lower levels of asymptomatic infection in the low-followed-by-high-dose group which "means we might be able to halt the virus in its tracks," Prof Pollard said.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I'm no expert in these things, but these % efficacy figures on my reading should be considered a little more deeply. Headline for Pfizer is 95% headline for Oxford (on BBC) was 70%, despite the obvious already pointed out here, that Oxford is actually 90% if given low/high dose, all of these figures are still only looking at how many people who had been vaccinated caught covid versus how many who hasn't been vaccinated in the control groups...... Where the people were and relative disease virality would be a factor as would luck to a degree.......

But the biggest message from reading between the lines (rather than just % efficacy figures) is that in Pfizer, Moderna and now Oxford they all have 100% records in preventing against severe disease/hospitalisations and most importantly death.

And that is great news. If a few more people get mild covid on Oxford vaccine than pfizer but avoid hospital, severe issues or death that is still great news.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've been extremely reluctant to criticise the media coverage of this (many of the criticisms of the coverage for being "too negative" I found to be from people who were a bit keen on the "happy clappy" news and the idea this would just go away on it's own), but the parroting of the 70% figure this morning is hugely misleading and I worry will cause people to not trust the vaccine, which is wrong as when it is given in the way it is planned to be given it's efficacy is much nearer 90% than 70%.

There has been some criticism of the companies (AZN) communication of today’s news......but it is also apparently known to be more cautious in the way it releases drug news

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
For me a really key thing is also that the Oxford vaccine is not-for-profit. Feel much more comfortable about that given it will likely be used to help a lot of poorer countries who will be desperate for it.

100% agree. To be produced in India, at massive scale and at £3 a dose this one is likely to be the global gamechanger. And that really matters. Obviously most of all for the billions of people in countries where this will be the main option but also, in the longer term, for us here and our ability to get back to fully normal life.

There's a lesson here about funding of medical research. But that's for another thread I think.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I was pretty shocked by the lowness of the 70% figure, and my reaction was that I hoped I could get one of the earlier 90% vaccines, but then as a whispered footnote they admitted that if 1/2 a dose then 1 dose was given it was 90%. Why did the headline fanfare undersell it ? :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was pretty shocked by the lowness of the 70% figure, and my reaction was that I hoped I could get one of the earlier 90% vaccines, but then as a whispered footnote they admitted that if 1/2 a dose then 1 dose was given it was 90%. Why did the headline fanfare undersell it ? :shrug:

Tell me about it, this is a great breakthrough, something Britain can be proud of. A cost effective vaccine for the world

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
70% is still absolutely phenomenal. We were told multiple times that anything above 50% would be great news. And the fact that it can be closer to 90% with a different dosing regime (which actually involves using less of the vaccine) is even better.
But even so, if you aren't rich and don't have access to a weapons-grade freezer then this is still remarkable news.

Stumpy Tim

It was reported immediately on Sky News as 90%, but 70% on the BBC. No idea why they chose the different numbers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Because since March if there is a way to make a success seem like a failure the media will find it

Finally seeing some pretty positive, excited stuff on the main news channels tonight........seems as though the main dampening /caution now is to stop things regressing before the vaccination programme gets properly motoring. Even the devolved Governments are coordinating their approach.

It’s absolutely astonishing what the Oxford team have done - not sure what they do with Prof Sarah Gilbert at the end of all this but must be in Nobel Prize territory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here