Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Secondly, the number of people dying of covid 29+ days after their last positive test is negligible. You must be reckoning either that they catch covid and go more than 28 days without needing treatment before suddenly dying of covid - it doesn't work that way - or else they are going to hospital, getting tested, treated for 29+ days, and no-one thinks to test them again. That doesn't happen either.

The statistics are based on the number of deaths of people who had had a positive test result for COVID-19 and died within 28 days of the first positive test.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So, let's be clear. The next person who makes a provocative statement on here will get a ban, not just from the thread but a few days off NSC.

The reality is in fact these figures are under reported given that people who catch covid more than once, their subsequent illness(es) are not counted only the first occasion of going down with covid. Also don't forget the 28 day cut off for death.

So really the BBC and other news outlets are in fact just going with the understatement that Johnson wants to put out.

The statistics are based on the number of deaths of people who had had a positive test result for COVID-19 and died within 28 days of the first positive test.

[emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It's the first item on the BBC page.

it was when you posted , however it wasnt for quite a long time after the figures were released, and that was my point. Had there been exactly the same % rise announced rather than a drop, then does anyone think it wouldn't have been all over the media instantly?

Someone was suggesting this was the hide from reality thread, I was using this as an example of why it isnt, just a bit of balance thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
5F940B35-8483-466B-814C-739DA449FB3B.jpeg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If you ignore the post content and the many replies that followed regarding how long it took to be put on the bloody website, of the post that you are referring to, you are of course totally correct.

Apologies for besmirching the good news thread further, but some things once said, have to be confronted.

BBC is always the slowest to get news up. Because it's a public service broadcaster it has even greater responsibility to be correct. Crucially, this is the same whichever side of the argument the article the content is backing up. It's got nothing do to with some all pervading BBC led conspiracy to make us all stay in and watch their content. I suggest you follow different people on twitter.

Happy to take this discussion further in the sub forum main covid thread

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Apologies for besmirching the good news thread further, but some things once said, have to be confronted.

BBC is always the slowest to get news up. Because it's a public service broadcaster it has even greater responsibility to be correct. Crucially, this is the same whichever side of the argument the article the content is backing up. It's got nothing do to with some all pervading BBC led conspiracy to make us all stay in and watch their content. I suggest you follow different people on twitter.

Happy to take this discussion further in the sub forum main covid thread

im happy to leave it, im not for a second suggesting the BBC are part of a massive conspiracy, just that in reply to a comment about the validity of this whole thread, it was an example of how "bad" news is more prominently reported than good. We have all seen the BBC put out bad figures within minutes of them being reported. this was simply an example of why the thread was needed and not an attack on the bbc in particular.

If you are indeed of the opinion that the whole reporting from the start of this has been balanced and timely then I fear it is you that need to read other twitter feeds. As it is my twitter consists almost entirely of BHA related followers, cycling, along with some very nice men showing bits of their bodies that wouldn't be appropriate for this discussion!

Anyway on with the GOOD News, all regions showing falling cases

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1418952126244478977[/TWEET]

Another decent graph from John Burn-Murdoch at the FT, explaining why the relatively high % of cases in hospital being vaccinated shouldn't be a cause for major concern.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Another decent graph from John Burn-Murdoch at the FT, explaining why the relatively high % of cases in hospital being vaccinated shouldn't be a cause for major concern.
I had that exact tweet on my bookmark list to post the next time someone was worried that a higher percentage of hospitalisations were double jabbed.

It explains the maths really well.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I must admit I struggle understanding why people don’t get this!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yes and further down the thread it talks about the seat belt analogy ... where 2/3rds of people who die on the roads are wearing seatbelts ... which could be taken as an argument about not wearing seatbelts, until you realise that over 99% do and deaths would be way higher overall without them.

In any case, we need to find and use all the easy to understand analogies to begin to counter the growing market in fake news to the not so bright.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Another clean sweep of drops in the home nations

Absolutely massive drops as well. 40 percent plus.

24,950 UK cases today. We were at 60,000 not so long ago. To channel my inner Daily Mail, they are absolutely PLUMETTING.

Went out for a few beers at the weekend. Lots of places operating in true pre-pandemic style, felt great ordering my first pint at the bar in 18 months and everything felt very normal. I’m struggling to find any other reason for the dramatic drop in cases than the virus is now simply running out of places to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here