Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
here is a perfect example of why this thread is needed. Todays figures have been public for about an hour. There is (if my maths is right) a massive FORTY % drop since in new cases since last Sunday. Had this been a 40% rise you can bet it would have been all over the news web pages and BBC alerts sent out. As it is, there is NOTHING on the BBC News website page at all.

This is NOT the "can't handle reality thread" its the "lets see the actual reality" thread

It’s one of the front page stories on bbc news and sky news web sites.

Everyone just chill out a bit.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It’s one of the front page stories on bbc news and sky news web sites.

Everyone just chill out a bit.

I think we are all chilled, my post was to illustrate why I feel you had got the point of the thread wrong. Yes its now on the BBC Website, as is right, but I would say had it been a 40% rise the news alerts and banner headlines would have been sent out within minutes of the figures, not an hour and a half or so later.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
here is a perfect example of why this thread is needed. Todays figures have been public for about an hour. There is (if my maths is right) a massive FORTY % drop since in new cases since last Sunday. Had this been a 40% rise you can bet it would have been all over the news web pages and BBC alerts sent out. As it is, there is NOTHING on the BBC News website page at all.

This is NOT the "can't handle reality thread" its the "lets see the actual reality" thread

This has been reported but the media are still insistent on mostly pushing bad news and fear even in the face of hugely encouraging information and even this is caveated. I have no idea why anyone bothers with mainstream outlets anymore unless they are actively seeking mental health problems. They are hugely complicit in the utter shit show that is society today even taking covid out of the equation.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It's the first item on the BBC page.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This has been reported but the media are still insistent on mostly pushing bad news and fear even in the face of hugely encouraging information and even this is caveated. I have no idea why anyone bothers with mainstream outlets anymore unless they are actively seeking mental health problems. They are hugely complicit in the utter shit show that is society today even taking covid out of the equation.

It's the first item on the BBC page.

:thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

The reality is in fact these figures are under reported given that people who catch covid more than once, their subsequent illness(es) are not counted only the first occasion of going down with covid. Also don't forget the 28 day cut off for death.

So really the BBC and other news outlets are in fact just going with the understatement that Johnson wants to put out.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The reality is in fact these figures are under reported given that people who catch covid more than once, their subsequent illness(es) are not counted only the first occasion of going down with covid. Also don't forget the 28 day cut off for death.

So really the BBC and other news outlets are in fact just going with the understatement that Johnson wants to put out.

Reinfection accounts for less than 0.5% so will barely make a difference to the official figures, Robert Pestons tweet earlier has already been debunked as utter bullshit !

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The reality is in fact ...

The good news is that both of your "facts" are essentially false. Firstly, the number of people suspected of possibly having covid twice is 23,000 total over the whole pandemic. They are the people tested twice 90 days apart and found to have covid both times. It is not known how many of them have caught it twice and how many caught it just the once and haven't shaken it off completely.

Secondly, the number of people dying of covid 29+ days after their last positive test is negligible. You must be reckoning either that they catch covid and go more than 28 days without needing treatment before suddenly dying of covid - it doesn't work that way - or else they are going to hospital, getting tested, treated for 29+ days, and no-one thinks to test them again. That doesn't happen either.

So in reality you aren't just posting bad news on the good news thread, you are posting lies pretending to be bad news on the good news thread.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The good news is that both of your "facts" are essentially false. Firstly, the number of people suspected of possibly having covid twice is 23,000 total over the whole pandemic. They are the people tested twice 90 days apart and found to have covid both times. It is not known how many of them have caught it twice and how many caught it just the once and haven't shaken it off completely.

Secondly, the number of people dying of covid 29+ days after their last positive test is negligible. You must be reckoning either that they catch covid and go more than 28 days without needing treatment before suddenly dying of covid - it doesn't work that way - or else they are going to hospital, getting tested, treated for 29+ days, and no-one thinks to test them again. That doesn't happen either.

So in reality you aren't just posting bad news on the good news thread, you are posting lies pretending to be bad news on the good news thread.

Also good news, we found the one person that takes Peston seriously so we can block them

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Stupid boy! :lolol: :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here