Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The link above doesn't appear to be working but I think this is what [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] was trying to share

[tweet]1402346372687302656[/tweet]

Very encouraging and proof of the positive effect of the vaccine is having even after just one dose against the Delta variant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC R4 this evening discussed the rise in hospitalisations.

Still just 1,000 in the entire UK as of yesterday. The peak had been 39,000 in mid/late January.

870F82E9-492E-468C-9F97-640DB9C5C165.png

Speaking to a scientist, the instinct (but it’s too early to say for sure) is that the Delta variant has hospitalised some younger folk with far shorter stays.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Still just 1,000 in the entire UK as of yesterday. The peak had been 39,000 in mid/late January.

View attachment 137507

Speaking to a scientist, the instinct (but it’s too early to say for sure) is that the Delta variant has hospitalised some younger folk with far shorter stays.

Its gone down by 2 since yesterday infact!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

View attachment 137507

A lot of evidence supporting this theory now, patients younger, less likely to need critical care. Very rare for anyone who’s had both doses to be hospitalised and those that have been have other health conditions too.

D

Deleted member 2719

My wife has just had a call that she's been chosen as one of the 2,000 to trial the booster jab so she's getting it on Saturday in Brighton, getting one of four different jabs.

I have a lot of love for you wife.............if you know what I mean:smile:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A lot of evidence supporting this theory now, patients younger, less likely to need critical care. Very rare for anyone who’s had both doses to be hospitalised and those that have been have other health conditions too.

So, for those that have been hospitalised, it could just be a precautionary measure rather than an emergency?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just a view from the north here. Bolton is where this virus is at its worst, though it is receding now. 262,000 people live in Bolton, it's a city, fairly dense population (I'm talking numbers not IQ!), low vaccination rate, multi-generational families living together, it's a perfect place for a new virus to spread.

Since the beginning of May, between 2,000 and 2,500 people have died in Bolton. 10 of them had coronavirus, though we don't know in how many of them coronavirus was a factor.

Or take my council area, Pendle. also an area with a lot of multi-generational families, also on the high risk areas. Population of 91,000. Number of deaths in the last three months? About 2,000. Number of them who had coronavirus? None, nil, and zero. The last coronavirus death in Pendle was on 5th March.

Burnley is doing rather worse. After surviving April with no deaths, there was 1 in May and there has been another in June. Again, coronavirus may or may not have been a factor.

Even in the bad areas, or the really bad areas, the areas that are driving the country in further restrictions - it really isn't so bad as it is painted.

Interesting, out of interest are they doing surge testing and vaccination, my friend who lives in Colne got her vaccine from a pop up bus.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Interesting, out of interest are they doing surge testing and vaccination, my friend who lives in Colne got her vaccine from a pop up bus.
They were in the town centre on Saturday offering vaccinations to anyone. In fact, they were stopping people as they went past to make the offer. I know a couple of under-25s who took advantage.

Colne has been typically very low case numbers anyway. From late February to late May the number of cases in Colne never exceeded 10 in a week. It's drifted up a bit now, up to 19 in the last 7 days (out of 18,000 population).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Good news - for me - I went into my first shop since March 22nd 2020 today, going to my local Asda at 6am this morning!

Nobody about, staff masked, self service till - I may go again within the next year!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good news - for me - I went into my first shop since March 22nd 2020 today, going to my local Asda at 6am this morning!

Nobody about, staff masked, self service till - I may go again within the next year!

Imagine waiting 15 months then breaking your duck with Asda FFS

Although I know a lot of people who are "braving" shops for the first time in the last few weeks

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
33206 reported delta cases since 1st feb

42 deaths

606 cases lead to admission into hospital

383 of which had the same admission date as test result - which might mean they are in for something else.

Vaccine doing its job for the at risk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here