Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Does citing conspiracy theories belong in the "good news thread" out of interest? Seen a fair few times where people haven't wanted discussion about the reasoning behind lockdowns/approaching things with caution etc so I think it works both ways...

Put simply models were put in place for the spread of the delta variant and the fact the true vaccine effectiveness is unknown ( the same models that predicted the severity of the second wave which some of the "experts" here said would never happen last summer). Mixed with rising cases of course there should be caution. What exactly do you want to do that you cant do at the open? We've had a month of sitting inside restaurants and pubs, cinemas reopening. Hardly like you're locked in your living room is it? (I think this is good news)

The hospital data is hugely encouraging at the moment, vaccine speed is fantastic, all good news. So how about keeping your personal theories about why caution is still in place to yourselves...or maybe make a whacky youtube video explaining them to those that might want to listen.....

Very much this. Interesting to see conspiracy theories and insults appearing on a feel good thread like this one. It does rather invite a response......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does citing conspiracy theories belong in the "good news thread" out of interest? Seen a fair few times where people haven't wanted a discussion about the reasoning behind lockdowns/approaching things with caution etc so I think it works both ways...

Put simply models were put in place for the spread of the delta variant and the fact the true vaccine effectiveness is unknown ( the same models that predicted the severity of the second wave which some of the "experts" here said would never happen last summer). Mixed with rising cases of course there should be caution. What exactly do you want to do that you cant do at the moment? We've had a month of sitting inside restaurants and pubs, cinemas reopening. Hardly like you're locked in your living room is it? (I think this is good news)

The hospital data is hugely encouraging at the moment, vaccine speed is fantastic, all good news. So how about keeping your personal theories about why caution is still in place to yourselves...or maybe make a whacky youtube video explaining them to those that might want to listen.....

“Hugely encouraging”.

8 in 3.9 million.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
and getting back out the AMEX in August. :ascarf:

Hopefully,

Although it's interesting that UEFA have said that for games at Wembley a vaccination passport or negative test will be required for entry to games.
Your vaccination status can be shown with the NHS app.

Not much of a leap to see this being required for the Amex to get the benefit of a full stadium. On this basis I have downloaded the app to be ready if required.

Strange that for games in Scotland it's currently not the same and only staggered arrival times are in place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please post positive news relating to Coronavirus in this thread

For each post, include a link to somewhere that, in your opinion, appears to be a legitimate source, along with a short precis or quote relating to the news.

Please read ^^

Cheers.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
BBC SE have just looked at the impact on hospitals from rising cases of the Delta variant over recent weeks.

In effect, there’s been none.

Just 8 patients with Covid in the entire region covering Surrey, Brighton & Hove, East Sussex and Kent.

That’s 8 in 3.9 million.

Just 1 in Brighton and Hove.

I wish the national news channels would mention positive news too.
Just a view from the north here. Bolton is where this virus is at its worst, though it is receding now. 262,000 people live in Bolton, it's a city, fairly dense population (I'm talking numbers not IQ!), low vaccination rate, multi-generational families living together, it's a perfect place for a new virus to spread.

Since the beginning of May, between 2,000 and 2,500 people have died in Bolton. 10 of them had coronavirus, though we don't know in how many of them coronavirus was a factor.

Or take my council area, Pendle. also an area with a lot of multi-generational families, also on the high risk areas. Population of 91,000. Number of deaths in the last three months? About 2,000. Number of them who had coronavirus? None, nil, and zero. The last coronavirus death in Pendle was on 5th March.

Burnley is doing rather worse. After surviving April with no deaths, there was 1 in May and there has been another in June. Again, coronavirus may or may not have been a factor.

Even in the bad areas, or the really bad areas, the areas that are driving the country in further restrictions - it really isn't so bad as it is painted.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just a view from the north here. Bolton is where this virus is at its worst, though it is receding now. 262,000 people live in Bolton, it's a city, fairly dense population (I'm talking numbers not IQ!), low vaccination rate, multi-generational families living together, it's a perfect place for a new virus to spread.

Since the beginning of May, between 2,000 and 2,500 people have died in Bolton. 10 of them had coronavirus, though we don't know in how many of them coronavirus was a factor.

Or take my council area, Pendle. also an area with a lot of multi-generational families, also on the high risk areas. Population of 91,000. Number of deaths in the last three months? About 2,000. Number of them who had coronavirus? None, nil, and zero. The last coronavirus death in Pendle was on 5th March.

Burnley is doing rather worse. After surviving April with no deaths, there was 1 in May and there has been another in June. Again, coronavirus may or may not have been a factor.

Even in the bad areas, or the really bad areas, the areas that are driving the country in further restrictions - it really isn't so bad as it is painted.

Thanks for posting that. It's encouraging data

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Since the beginning of May, between 200 and 250 people have died in Bolton. 10 of them had coronavirus, though we don't know in how many of them coronavirus was a factor.

Or take my council area, Pendle. also an area with a lot of multi-generational families, also on the high risk areas. Population of 91,000. Number of deaths in the last three months? About 200. Number of them who had coronavirus? None, nil, and zero. The last coronavirus death in Pendle was on 5th March.

Edited to change some of the numbers, because my late night brain had exaggerated them by a factor of 10! The coronavirus deaths are simple arithmetic, though. I got them right. :dunce:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Vaccines appear to have broken link between infections and death, says NHS boss
Vaccines appear to have "broken" the link between infections, hospital admission and deaths, and hospitals were reporting less sick, younger patients than before, the chief executive of NHS Providers has said.

"If, and it is a big if, if Bolton has gone through its complete cycle and if others areas follow Bolton, the view from the hospital there was that they were able to cope with the level of infections," Chris Hopson told Times Radio.

"What chief executives are consistently telling us is that it is a much younger population that is coming in, they are less clinically vulnerable, they are less in need of critical care and therefore they're seeing what they believe is significantly lower mortality rate which is, you know, borne out by the figures.

"So it's not just the numbers of people who are coming in, it's actually the level of harm and clinical risk."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Vaccines appear to have "broken" the link between infections, hospital admission and deaths, and hospitals were reporting less sick, younger patients than before, the chief executive of NHS Providers has said.

"If, and it is a big if, if Bolton has gone through its complete cycle and if others areas follow Bolton, the view from the hospital there was that they were able to cope with the level of infections," Chris Hopson told Times Radio.

"What chief executives are consistently telling us is that it is a much younger population that is coming in, they are less clinically vulnerable, they are less in need of critical care and therefore they're seeing what they believe is significantly lower mortality rate which is, you know, borne out by the figures.

"So it's not just the numbers of people who are coming in, it's actually the level of harm and clinical risk."

Looking forward to seeing that story being headline news throughout the day on MSM

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

aligned to this, i cant find it online now but saw some stats indicating even with Delta variant, the infection/hospitalisation rate is 20% of that seen pre vaccine.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My wife has just had a call that she's been chosen as one of the 2,000 to trial the booster jab so she's getting it on Saturday in Brighton, getting one of four different jabs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
My wife has just had a call that she's been chosen as one of the 2,000 to trial the booster jab so she's getting it on Saturday in Brighton, getting one of four different jabs.

Thats good news for others but not so much your wife.

Hope works out

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Can I ask how long since she had her second jab ? Would be interested to know what time period they are trialling as it may give an idea when the boosters may be rolled out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here