I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Absolute barrage of good news lately.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dare we say, back of the net?

As its the good news thread I dont want to bring any negativity, but I'll just say that Oxford so far havent officially published any data on the effectiveness against the new UK variant and S Africa variant, and as both are more transmissible, this will be crucial, lets hope it is also positive, but its unknown publicly yet. If it works versus those 2 mutant that will be back of the net.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My Dad is being vaccinated tomorrow! So happy. He's 72 and diabetic, so perhaps "medium" risk, but still just so relieved and happy to hear this. He's an intensely sociable person and so has really struggled with sticking to the rules over the past year.

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you're not wrong about the uplift to mental health.

Oxford/AZ?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I love this thread but as my NSC activity is usually in the evening, the good news stories have usually been posted before I get here.

However, I've just found out that my parents (79 & 73 - strange names!) have been booked in for their jabs next Wednesday in Newark. Although not in the vulnerable category, they both have a few health issues so really pleased with this news.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I love this thread but as my NSC activity is usually in the evening, the good news stories have usually been posted before I get here.

However, I've just found out that my parents (79 & 73 - strange names!) have been booked in for their jabs next Wednesday in Newark. Although not in the vulnerable category, they both have a few health issues so really pleased with this news.

Your parents are 79 and 73 and you are retired ?? Lucky you !!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Apparently my mum was nicknamed 69 - never found out why... maybe we’re related?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can confirm he received the Oxford/AZ vaccine this morning. :smile:

Nice one, must be a huge relief, another 3 weeks and he should be miles safer. Top News!

I'm.group 4, got my Oxford on Saturday, though changed it from 2:45 to 12:10 (registered GP is 45 miles away) to have enough time to get back for the Burnley game!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nice one, must be a huge relief, another 3 weeks and he should be miles safer. Top News!

I'm.group 4, got my Oxford on Saturday, though changed it from 2:45 to 12:10 (registered GP is 45 miles away) to have enough time to get back for the Burnley game!

Love that.

Always Albion as the priority!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whole of UK could be vaccinated by May under ambitious plan to reopen Britain

Over 65s will be invited to receive their Covid vaccine next week amid claims every adult in the UK could be offered the jab by May, it was reported. As of February 1, more than 9.2 million people have received their first Covid jab, with the Government said to be confident that the UK will meet or even surpass its target of vaccinating all over-70s by mid-February. So-far 494,209 have had their second dose.

Whitehall sources are now hopeful that the entire adult population will have received their first dose of the vaccine by the beginning of May, the MailOnline reports. This would be months ahead of the current target of September. Over-65s are expected to be invited to begin booking their appointments at vaccine centres within the next week. Matt Hancock previously stated more than half of the over-70s had already received their jab, as well as nine in 10 of the over-80s.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/covid-vaccine-whole-uk-could-be-vaccinated-by-may-14005608/

I feel by beginning of May (12 weeks time) is still a tad over-optimistic, but the fact we are even talking in such terms is quite incredible. Suggests they believe capacity can still be ramped up quite a bit further.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whole of UK could be vaccinated by May under ambitious plan to reopen Britain

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/covid-vaccine-whole-uk-could-be-vaccinated-by-may-14005608/

I feel by beginning of May (12 weeks time) is still a tad over-optimistic, but the fact we are even talking in such terms is quite incredible. Suggests they believe capacity can still be ramped up quite a bit further.

I think it might already be there to some extent - the further ramping up reflects bigger supplies coming on stream.......the setup and running of a vacc centre also seems to be so slick now they can throw them up pretty much anywhere suitable that is available.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The game changer is the J&J single dose vaccine. It’s efficacy is around 64% which is deemed suitable for the not at risk group. Reduces the number of jabs by 20million or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here