Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is undoubtedly good news, and very pleased for you.

However, a note of caution for others. I believe that this situation would have been relatively exceptional - being (i'd guess) at the end of a 'Pfizer day' when there is a determination not to waste any doses. After coming out of deep freeze the Pfizer vaccine needs using pretty quickly and won't keep overnight.. On Astrazenaca days, the pressure is off as I understand that it can be kept refrigerated and used the next day.

As someone volunteering at a vaccine centre we are told to be very clear that nobody gets vaccinated unless they are on the list and for the vast majority of the time this is strictly stuck to. It is only when there is any chance of doses getting wasted, that they will try everything possible to call in NHS staff and vulnerable people at short notice...and ultimately they will stick it into any arm available rather than let it go to waste!

On the good news side - it is just extraordinary how well the whole vaccine programme is going so far. Having now got a sense of how complex it all is, and how much is having to be done 'on the hoof' it is astonishing how smooth it feels, at least where I am. The result of many many amazing people working night and day.

Thanks for the response Highflyer, yes I know I was being cheeky / queue jumping etc and would not have been perturbed of offended had I been refused especially as I was not even aware of what vaccine was being administered at the site my wife had been invited to attend but as she was called so late on a Sunday evening I thought just maybe they may have excess doses so we're calling patients in at the last minute to use these vaccines to ensure no waste etc. The doctor who administered the vaccine said they do not waste any but must use all the Pfizer shots as once they are defrosted they have to be diluted with a substance before injection and cannot be used after a certain amount of time had elapsed.
The main reason why I asked my wife to ask them if they had any excess is my sons wife's sister in law who works in elderly care had her injection in Brighton a couple of weeks ago at the end of the day and she was asked if she knew of anyone who wanted a vaccine as there were some spare, she asked if her husband could have it to which they agreed. Both are in their thirties which I thought was brilliant for them and for ensuring minimal waste of this wonderful gift of science. I hope everyone who wants a jab gets one as soon as possible to end this pandemic asap.

Funnily enough a friend works at a GP practice where they’re giving jabs. Had one spare that would have gone to waste and offered it to our other friends (a couple) who are both vulnerable. So had to decide who got it! Still, at least one did.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Noises are that some over-65s will begin to receive letters and invitations within the next week or so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Noises are that some over-65s will begin to receive letters and invitations within the next week or so.

Makes sense....some areas are already a long way through the O70s already so need to keep the flow going. Can’t underestimate the mental lift this is giving to so many people - even the act being told to book an appointment is uplifting for so many.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Worldometers update - Cases have been falling Globally for 3 weeks in a row now. Vaccines will be starting to help with this soon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My Dad is being vaccinated tomorrow! So happy. He's 72 and diabetic, so perhaps "medium" risk, but still just so relieved and happy to hear this. He's an intensely sociable person and so has really struggled with sticking to the rules over the past year.

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you're not wrong about the uplift to mental health.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Covid mortality down dramatically since start of pandemic, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...matically-since-start-of-pandemic-study-finds

Death rates among people who end up in intensive care with Covid-19 have improved dramatically since the start of the pandemic thanks to advances in treatment, new research has found.

The proportion of those worst affected by the disease who die from it has fallen from 60% when it first appeared early last year to 36% by October, the study of global trends shows.

That drop continues a positive trend that saw the mortality of almost 60% seen at the end of March decrease to 42% at the end of May, it reports.

The findings, based on 52 studies around the globe involving 43,128 patients, have been published in the medical journal Anaesthesia.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
100% effective in stopping people requiring hospital treatment after day 22 E27A8538-E51B-4768-9A13-855AF010FF0A.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Data update :

Positive cases significantly down again, 16,840 reported yesterday (for reference the 7 day average on Jan 1st was over 60,000). 26.9% down on rolling 7 days.
Hospital admissions 2,642 - 22.3% down on rolling 7 day period (accelerating trend)
Deaths down 9.7% on rolling 7 day period (accelerating trend)
350k first jabs given - up 40k on last Tuesday's reported number

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I see they are doing vaccinations at Barnet’s ground ..good news for this guy and a little amusement

“Have missed being able to go to @BarnetFC with dad this year but today he was able to go to the ground - to get his vaccine in the bar below the stand we sit in. Feels strangely fitting ��(He said it was a nice change coming away from The Hive without feeling disappointed.)”

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Good news that we have confirmation that we have a vaccine that apparently reduces transmission by two thirds. To anyone smarter than I, is two thirds good enough to be truly pandemic ending stuff?

At the outset, it was claimed the virus' natural R-rate was 3, but this now appears to be slightly higher due to the new variants. If I'm right in thinking, the vaccine would significantly hasten a reduction in the virus but not necessarily eradicate it alone - is that a fair assessment?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good news that we have confirmation that we have a vaccine that apparently reduces transmission by two thirds. To anyone smarter than I, is two thirds good enough to be truly pandemic ending stuff?

At the outset, it was claimed the virus' natural R-rate was 3, but this now appears to be slightly higher due to the new variants. If I'm right in thinking, the vaccine would significantly hasten a reduction in the virus but not necessarily eradicate it alone - is that a fair assessment?

I think this one is actually very, very tricky to answer without real world results that we will see in the next month or so, I’m guessing during trials they couldn’t say for sure whether transmission was reduced or not and they are beginning to see real world data that proves it’s reducing transmission. Fingers crossed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see they are doing vaccinations at Barnet’s ground ..good news for this guy and a little amusement

“Have missed being able to go to @BarnetFC with dad this year but today he was able to go to the ground - to get his vaccine in the bar below the stand we sit in. Feels strangely fitting ��(He said it was a nice change coming away from The Hive without feeling disappointed.)”

We should have a centre at the AMEX with spectators. They could then see a few shots on target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here