Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not sure there is a demand right now for 24/7..........we are vaccinating the over 80's and other vulnerable people. 24/7 might be more needed down the line, but I think they would be fewer in number . I think they will come on stream as we move down the list - to where occupations are.

I can't see the need for this, ever. Who's going to turn up for their 3am Covid jab when they've got work in the morning :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree that if I have to turn up at 4am to get a vaccine, that would be fine for me. Am thinking the whole pineapple thing over

About getting to a centre in the night .....

I accept that there are a large percentage of over 80s who have stopped driving and so couldn't make a test centre, but in the later cohorts, there's a very high percentage of car ownership (within a household or bubble). Anyway I'm saying that there would be a few who would insist on a monday to friday 9-5, but enormous numbers would go anywhere at anytime for this jab

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I guess when the vaccinations come down to occupations or 20yrs to 49yrs age group, then there might be a need for those workers who work odd shifts - say finish at 5am. But yes, I cant see much demand. I doubt there will be many. Its probably more a headline

The important bit is for them to be widely available location wise - be open from 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and have sufficient supply. I think we getting that bit right.

No one surely works 12 hr days every day of the week. People will need to fit around the NHS . Plus, employers will need to be flexible with their staff - it benefits them

I can't see the need for this, ever. Who's going to turn up for their 3am Covid jab when they've got work in the morning :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
45,553 new infections announced today. That’s the 4th day in a row the number has fallen, and the lowest total so far this year.

11th - 46,169
10th - 54,940
9th - 59,937
8th - 68,053
7th - 52,618
6th - 62,322
5th - 60,916
4th - 58,774
3rd - 54,990
2nd - 57,725
1st - 53,284

Deleted

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Railway workers for one would utilise this I feel, our shift times really are all over the place and an appointment outside of normal hours on the way home from work would be ideal, finish your shift at 2am, jabbed by 3am and home to bed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd take a late night / early morning slot in a heartbeat. Those times would likely have fewer people around which suits my "you've all probably got the virus so keep away from me" stance down to the ground.

I think it also misses the point that - once supplies allow - having vaccinations happen 24/7 means we get this virus over and done with much, MUCH quicker.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'd take a day off work to get the vaccine. Even if only selfish reasons are counted, firstly I get it sooner than I will if I wait until later, and also the sooner everyone (including me) has it, the sooner these restrictions are lifted.

A lot depends on where the shortage of supply is. If the country has more suitable sites than we have staff to staff them, then it would probably be better to double the number of sites and run mostly daytime. If we have spare staff but too few sites, then 24 hour is needed. The main thing is that we inject this stuff as fast as they can make it - in fact, we should be injecting so fast that Pfizer and Astrazeneca are taking on twice and three times the staff (with appropriate qualifications!) just to keep up.

And then if Astrazeneca are working so fast that we can't keep up or we have vaccinated everyone already, then hopefully we will buy up the surplus and distribute it to those less fortunate - the poorer Commonwealth countries would be a good place to start, but any reasonably well-run impoverished country would do. With all the expense we and they have gone through, we can afford to be generous. (And while Astrazeneca are still churning it out in vast quantities we will be able to switch the supply back to the UK in case of mutations to the virus or if annual doses become necessary.)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I guess when the vaccinations come down to occupations or 20yrs to 49yrs age group, then there might be a need for those workers who work odd shifts - say finish at 5am. But yes, I cant see much demand. I doubt there will be many. Its probably more a headline

The important bit is for them to be widely available location wise - be open from 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and have sufficient supply. I think we getting that bit right.

No one surely works 12 hr days every day of the week. People will need to fit around the NHS . Plus, employers will need to be flexible with their staff - it benefits them

I think you may underestimate those that do weird night shifts - so the demand will be there - even if you do care home visits through the night or just do hospitals?

I am also sure employers will be completely flexible

Just get it done 24/7 - even if its for a month or two

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
45,553 new infections announced today. That’s the 4th day in a row the number has fallen, and the lowest total so far this year.

11th - 46,169
10th - 54,940
9th - 59,937
8th - 68,053
7th - 52,618
6th - 62,322
5th - 60,916
4th - 58,774
3rd - 54,990
2nd - 57,725
1st - 53,284

Not down today but no big increase either @ 47,525

Good jump in vaccinated numbers, 2.639m have had first dose.

6dd8e275403a75d8a83f59c7ee24a6bd.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here