Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Very much this

Having a portfolio of many different drugs certainly helped. Its also reassuring to know that even when this wretched virus mutates to escape current vaccines - they can be tweaked to restore immunity.

Really need to ensure that middle income and poorer countries receive a good share, as many might not have backed a successful horse with enough money, or even had a horse in the first place. This is where AZ will come into its own and the UK can generally be proud of itself.

Sorry - wasn't intending to come across as gruff.

Of everything that's gone on over the last 10 months, it currently seems that vaccine acquisition is something UK has got right, although there is a degree of luck/gambling involved in given you have to choose which horses you back, and how much to back them, when some may not even make the start line proper.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
@Mr Smuggles

I'd hope they would, as the very role places you at a higher risk of encountering an infected person (or unknowingly infecting someone before the vaccine takes effect), but they might decide that a healthy 28-year old doesn't need it. I really hope that this is not their decision.

My wife has (occasional) very mild asthma and is somewhat older than you, so was deemed to be in a higher risk category, but I think the policy is that as many staff as possible who are involved in the vaccination team should themselves be vaccinated first. It would hardly be good for fostering a strong sense of team spirit and mutual trust if some of the staff involved were vaccinated but others weren't.

Good luck, and well done for doing the e-learning Modules for the vaccinator role. I'm proud of people like you.

Thanks Pete. Good luck to your wife. I’m furloughed from my job in aviation and really miss regular human interaction, as well as a sense of purpose. I adore my day job and so would be great to find myself getting some job satisfaction again!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Sorry - wasn't intending to come across as gruff.

Of everything that's gone on over the last 10 months, it currently seems that vaccine acquisition is something UK has got right, although there is a degree of luck/gambling involved in given you have to choose which horses you back, and how much to back them, when some may not even make the start line proper.

It does seem like something they’ve gotten right, but perhaps it’s just sheer dumb luck that the UK’s offering seems to be the best. I get the impression we would’ve always bought the Oxford/AZ in huge quantities just because it has a ‘made in Britain’ stamp. I guess we’ll never know!

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
BREAK: European Medicines Agency has approved Moderna vaccine for EU wide use ��

The EU has ordered 160m doses

Anyone know where we are with this?

I should have said population of EU is 448 Million. (I cant see how to amend posts yet!) Either way point stands, its going to be months before my relatives in germany who are over 70 see a vaccine and by that time, the UK will pretty much all be done. We are very very lucky in the UK and the call not to join EU procurement was the right one despite the stick that Boris got at the time of making that decision.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It does seem like something they’ve gotten right, but perhaps it’s just sheer dumb luck that the UK’s offering seems to be the best. I get the impression we would’ve always bought the Oxford/AZ in huge quantities just because it has a ‘made in Britain’ stamp. I guess we’ll never know!

Oxford/AZ already had the base vaccine researched and tested to a degree, they just needed to encode it to Coronavirus. We are generally world leaders at vaccines in this Country unlike a lot of other areas to do with viruses such as testing or knowing how to prevent infection (wearing masks etc).

It’s so good to be breaking ground on this (if you disregard the millions of jabs given out in China & Russia where they’ve obviously taken some short cuts that a proper democracy would not be able to) and Israel who have managed to acquire and deliver a lot of vaccine quickly and efficiently......somehow? The Government has played it’s vaccine card exceptionally well so far which is a welcome change to the norm. Let’s hope they continue to play a blinder in this respect.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If this comes to be then it’s definitely good news

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1346871497437097991?s=21

Both J&J and Novavax should be revealing the efficacy results for their Covid vaccines within the next 3 weeks.

The UK has ordered 60 million doses of Novavax’s vaccine and 30 million of J&J’s one dose vaccine.

This equates to enough vaccines for 60 million people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oxford/AZ already had the base vaccine researched and tested to a degree, they just needed to encode it to Coronavirus. We are generally world leaders at vaccines in this Country unlike a lot of other areas to do with viruses such as testing or knowing how to prevent infection (wearing masks etc).

It’s so good to be breaking ground on this (if you disregard the millions of jabs given out in China & Russia where they’ve obviously taken some short cuts that a proper democracy would not be able to) and Israel who have managed to acquire and deliver a lot of vaccine quickly and efficiently......somehow? The Government has played it’s vaccine card exceptionally well so far which is a welcome change to the norm. Let’s hope they continue to play a blinder in this respect.

Without wanting to derail the "good news thread" I work with several people based in Israel. It's one of the leading logistics countries in the world with a burgeoning tech and science sector, compulsory military service and they implemented a second lockdown way ahead of most other countries. Plus total population is around 9 million.

With decent logistics and technological infrastructure this can be rolled out and the virus set back relatively quickly.

Yes, I know, before anyone mentions the obvious, but this isn't the thread for it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
postmen b.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Without wanting to derail the "good news thread" I work with several people based in Israel. It's one of the leading logistics countries in the world with a burgeoning tech and science sector, compulsory military service and they implemented a second lockdown way ahead of most other countries. Plus total population is around 9 million.

With decent logistics and technological infrastructure this can be rolled out and the virus set back relatively quickly.

Yes, I know, before anyone mentions the obvious, but this isn't the thread for it.

Not really sure the point you are trying to make (compulsory military service ??). Are you saying we should have done what Israel did? They have better logistics because they have a smaller population and far more wealth. Is their ruling party/leader any better than ours?

Anyway, let’s move on and keep it positive

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not really sure the point you are trying to make (compulsory military service ??). Are you saying we should have done what Israel did? They have better logistics because they have a smaller population and far more wealth. Is their ruling party/leader any better than ours?

Anyway, let’s move on and keep it positive

I'm not making a point about the UK at all.

Everyone in Israel has to do military service. They have a huge proportion of their population who are trained in either medicine, science or logistics.

The post I quoted asked how they did it. That's how.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not making a point about the UK at all.

Everyone in Israel has to do military service. They have a huge proportion of their population who are trained in either medicine, science or logistics.

The post I quoted asked how they did it. That's how.

Sorry, I didn’t see the earlier post. Fair enough

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’ll take all that’s happened in Israel as positive ...because with all those reasons you’ve listed, if they hadn’t have made such progress we’d be saying “blimey if they can’t manage it, how can we manage”

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I was pondering something as well I would regard as good news, been talking about it with a more clued up guy on Twitter and the one other positive I was thinking about, there are still barely any global reports of anyone becoming severely ill with coronavirus twice, certainly within a year, if symptomatic reinfection was prevalent there would be thousands of people becoming reinfected now, digging deeper on this it appears there has been 2 confirmed cases in Asia of reinfection, however both cases the second time were totally asymptomatic and only found on random testing.

It brings me back to studies of the original SARS virus, where people infected still showed immune responses 15+ years later, it will be fantastic news if symptomatic reinfection is highly unlikely within at least a year, possibly longer as it appears to be and would surely mean eventually it will die out, particularly with the vaccine assisting us.

Will be fascinating as science discovers more and more as time goes on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’ll take all that’s happened in Israel as positive ...because with all those reasons you’ve listed, if they hadn’t have made such progress we’d be saying “blimey if they can’t manage it, how can we manage”

Yeah that was kind of my point. It can be done. I'd rather focus in on vaccine success stories than lockdown depression. We ARE getting there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here