Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Vaccine rollout minister Nadhim Zahawi says there will be a "big increase" in the numbers of coronavirus jabs being delivered from next week.

"It is an ambitious plan. The prime minister is right to set an ambitious target. The NHS has a very clear plan and I am confident that we can meet it," he told BBC Breakfast.

The aim is to vaccinate the most vulnerable by mid-February.

He added there would be a "significant increase" from the 1.3 million vaccines done in the UK since 8 December.

Later speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he said the manufacturing challenge was "complex" but that there would come a time when production stabilises.

And in terms of the deployment, he said there was a "very credible plan" to hit the government targets.

National vaccination centres - in places like sports halls - will be opening in the coming days, he said.

Pharmacies will also be involved, along with the private sector, in delivering the vaccines, added the minister.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Vaccine rollout minister Nadhim Zahawi says there will be a "big increase" in the numbers of coronavirus jabs being delivered from next week.

"It is an ambitious plan. The prime minister is right to set an ambitious target. The NHS has a very clear plan and I am confident that we can meet it," he told BBC Breakfast.

The aim is to vaccinate the most vulnerable by mid-February.

He added there would be a "significant increase" from the 1.3 million vaccines done in the UK since 8 December.

Later speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he said the manufacturing challenge was "complex" but that there would come a time when production stabilises.

And in terms of the deployment, he said there was a "very credible plan" to hit the government targets.

National vaccination centres - in places like sports halls - will be opening in the coming days, he said.

Pharmacies will also be involved, along with the private sector, in delivering the vaccines, added the minister.

This is supposed to be the good news thread, and any reminder that Zawahi is in charge of vaccine rollout is not good news. I wouldn't trust a word he says nor would I trust him to not completely **** this up.

He has no medical background. Although his wife and 2 sons (also no medical background) have recently incorporated a new company 'Warren Medical Ltd', which I'm sure is completely coincidental.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This is supposed to be the good news thread, and any reminder that Zawahi is in charge of vaccine rollout is not good news. I wouldn't trust a word he says nor would I trust him to not completely **** this up.

He has no medical background. Although his wife and 2 sons (also no medical background) have recently incorporated a new company 'Warren Medical Ltd', which I'm sure is completely coincidental.

[emoji2357]

And yet you then find it in yourself to keep chirping about and slam your rhetoric in for good measure, what a Wally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ve heard they all practise on one another initially with 12 inch needles to help with accuracy ..you probably end up with arms like a piece of Swiss cheese :whistle:

Although they'll all have tremendous job opportunities in voodoo once this has passed

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Take that discussion elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BREAK: European Medicines Agency has approved Moderna vaccine for EU wide use ��

The EU has ordered 160m doses

Anyone know where we are with this?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BREAK: European Medicines Agency has approved Moderna vaccine for EU wide use

From today’s Telegraph :

The UK has ordered seven million doses of the vaccine, produced by the US firm. This is enough to vaccinate around 3.5 million people. The study has now exceeded two months of median follow-up post-vaccination.

The US biotech firm’s vaccine has yet to be approved by regulators, but doses could begin being delivered next spring if it meets the standards.

Peter Openshaw, Professor of Experimental Medicine at Imperial College London, said the trial included many high-risk or elderly people, which gave him confidence the vaccine will help those most in need of it.

Unlike the Pfizer jab, the Moderna vaccine can be kept for six months at -20°C, the temperature of a conventional freezer, and can be stored for up to 30 days in a standard fridge – but a dose is three times larger than Pfizer’s.

Moderna is also testing its jab against the faster-spreading version of the disease.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BREAK: European Medicines Agency has approved Moderna vaccine for EU wide use ��

Presumably priority was given to the vaccines we knew we could get our hands on sharpish - Pfizer and AZ.

I've read that Moderna can't get any to us, nor the rest of Europe, until Spring so it seems right that focus was given on the approval of the vaccines that we could start getting into people's arms PDQ.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Presumably priority was given to the vaccines we knew we could get our hands on sharpish - Pfizer and AZ.

I've read that Moderna can't get any to us, nor the rest of Europe, until Spring so it seems right that focus was given on the approval of the vaccines that we could start getting into people's arms PDQ.

Fair, wasn’t a dig at anyone - just hadn’t seen much of this one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tentative signs from the ZOE app - which has generally been a pretty accurate indicator of “what’s happening next” with spread of the virus - suggesting London infections may have peaked 4 days ago.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Tentative signs from the ZOE app - which has generally been a pretty accurate indicator of “what’s happening next” with spread of the virus - suggesting London infections may have peaked 4 days ago.

Good news indeed. I haven't visited London since late Feb, when to all intents and purposes life in the city was completely normal. The figure in the news yesterday that implied 1 in 30 people in the city had Covid as of right now was stark when I think back to how many people I would have walked past on such a typical day in the capital, so it's a relief to hear that lockdown may be having an effect.

I've seen a few sources suggest similar, so that's very encouraging.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair, wasn’t a dig at anyone - just hadn’t seen much of this one.

Sorry - wasn't intending to come across as gruff.

Of everything that's gone on over the last 10 months, it currently seems that vaccine acquisition is something UK has got right, although there is a degree of luck/gambling involved in given you have to choose which horses you back, and how much to back them, when some may not even make the start line proper.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

The population o the EU is circa 695 million. So 160 million doses is a long way short of what is needed and they might not be with them for months as well.This explains what my German uncle was saying. He doesn't think he will be vaccinated by June and he is over 75. By then, even 40 year olds (and maybe 30 year olds) in the UK will likely have had their vaccination in the UK. The EU went on a different procurement strategy from the UK and it hasn't gone as well as the UK's, hence they are quite a few months behind. I remember the UK go getting it in the neck for not joining the EU's procurement but it's lucky for us that Boris didn't. This isn't a criticism of the EU or a leave/remain point. The EU made a call which seemed sensible, but it has not paid off. My only observation is that the UK gov should (and are from people living in Europe, if not the UK press) be getting credit for its procurement which has worked well. It is probably one of the biggest calls in this whole Covid saga and we are lucky that our gov got it spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here