Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
C85269BA-8A01-47F4-8FBC-95BE54920180.png

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Hmmm, today definitely feels like a day to bring this thread back into play!

Not so much 'good news' as 'get some perspective' news.

Yes, infections are rising. Yes that will almost certainly filter through in time to SOME increases in hospital admissions and, ultimately, and sadly, some increase in deaths. But it's not yet anywhere near the situation in March, no matter what the graphs may look like.

First of all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54064347

Also, a quick scout around the worldometer site indicates that some other countries that have seen recent rises have already begun levelling out, eg belgium, germany, spain. And not forgetting the home of NSC's favorite nutter, Sweden, which provides a really interesting case. This seems to show that a long term, exponential rise, while possible (and thus we need to take action to mitigate against it), is not inevitable.

And let's not forget that even if there is some rise in severe cases, we are medically far better equipped to manage them than we were just a few months ago.

Also, in other news, a bit of reading tells us that the pause in the Oxford vaccine trial seems to be nowhere near the disaster that (some of) the headlines might indicate. If you test on 30,000 + people one or two are going to get ill, independent of the vaccine, and cause this kind of 'routne pause'. That seems the most likely explanation for now.

And finally, yes, this government IS a total sh*tshow of utter bellendary and incompetence. But remember that we still have people who know what they are doing behind the scenes. The boring old civil servants, scientists and health officials that will carry on quietly and competently managing things. I think of it like an upside down swan at the moment. While all we can see is legs flailing helplessly, to little or no effect, under the water all is (relatively) serene and under control.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Yes, infections are rising. Yes that will almost certainly filter through in time to SOME increases in hospital admissions and, ultimately, and sadly, some increase in deaths. But it's not yet anywhere near the situation in March, no matter what the graphs may look like.

First of all:

Also, a quick scout around the worldometer site indicates that some other countries that have seen recent rises have already begun levelling out, eg belgium, germany, spain. And not forgetting the home of NSC's favorite nutter, Sweden, which provides a really interesting case. This seems to show that a long term, exponential rise, while possible (and thus we need to take action to mitigate against it), is not inevitable.

And let's not forget that even if there is some rise in severe cases, we are medically far better equipped to manage them than we were just a few months ago.

Also, in other news, a bit of reading tells us that the pause in the Oxford vaccine trial seems to be nowhere near the disaster that (some of) the headlines might indicate. If you test on 30,000 + people one or two are going to get ill, independent of the vaccine, and cause this kind of 'routne pause'. That seems the most likely explanation for now.

And finally, yes, this government IS a total sh*tshow of utter bellendary and incompetence. But remember that we still have people who know what they are doing behind the scenes. The boring old civil servants, scientists and health officials that will carry on quietly and competently managing things. I think of it like an upside down swan at the moment. While all we can see is legs flailing helplessly, to little or no effect, under the water all is (relatively) serene and under control.

:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

First of all:

Thanks for this.

Massively needed perspective on what could appear a pretty shit day for news.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A virologist on radio 5 stated that whilst he couldn’t rule it out, he was of the opinion that we would not go back to the levels of deaths and hospital cases seen at the height of the pandemic.

I think his name was Chris Smith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
tentative, but...

[tweet]1303657235281842176[/tweet]

South African participants in the Astrazeneca vaccine trial have now had their booster jabs rescheduled for early next week following the initial safety pause in the trial. Surely if they'd found, or had the suspicion of, anything potentially serious in the safety review then this wouldn't be happening.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Confirmation that the Oxford vaccine trials are being restarted in the coming days. Source to follow.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The technological advances humankind can make are really astonishing when we're under threat. Nationwide track and trace is an enormous data collection and analysis exercise that I don't imagine had ever been done on anything spacing this scale. The data will tell us so much about how viruses spread through time and between cities. And the investment in testing sounds like it will forever change how we screen for pandemics. We're hopefully moving way beyond the days of from IR thermometers at airports as our main barrier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The technological advances humankind can make are really astonishing when we're under threat. Nationwide track and trace is an enormous data collection and analysis exercise that I don't imagine had ever been done on anything spacing this scale. The data will tell us so much about how viruses spread through time and between cities. And the investment in testing sounds like it will forever change how we screen for pandemics. We're hopefully moving way beyond the days of from IR thermometers at airports as our main barrier.

Indeed - all of this SHOULD mean we are far, far better prepared for future pandemics.

Should.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here