Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No new cases in Beijing as 'mini-cluster' fades away
Beijing has reported no new locally-transmitted cases for the first time since an outbreak began last month.

The outbreak - which was linked to a huge food market in the capital - has led to at least 335 infections.

It caused mass testing, the closure of some venues, and travel restrictions for people in at least 27 of Beijing's neighbourhoods.

But the cluster has seemingly been petering out for some time - the city hasn't reported more than three new daily cases in the past week.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
No new cases in Beijing as 'mini-cluster' fades away
Beijing has reported no new locally-transmitted cases for the first time since an outbreak began last month.

The outbreak - which was linked to a huge food market in the capital - has led to at least 335 infections.

It caused mass testing, the closure of some venues, and travel restrictions for people in at least 27 of Beijing's neighbourhoods.

But the cluster has seemingly been petering out for some time - the city hasn't reported more than three new daily cases in the past week.

That can’t be right ?

Everyone was saying this was their second wave and that this time round it would be much worse than the first time around !

So you mean there is a way of controlling small outbreaks, stone me, you could knock me down with a feather !

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Now this is a good one...…

We are currently treating only 7 inpatients with COVID-19, NONE of whom are in Critical Care at BSUH :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm somewhat loathed to put this in the 'good news' thread, as I'm not that kind of person.

But I can just about make an exception here:-

[tweet]1280524823576395779[/tweet]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ok on a light note and some might not be happy ..but Tescos Holmbush have removed the floor arrows....so happy I just had just to follow my shopping list and mind the people around me...I can’t say I enjoy shopping but boy this evening with no arrows i was mildly happy :)

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ok on a light note and some might not be happy ..but Tescos Holmbush have removed the floor arrows....so happy I just had just to follow my shopping list and mind the people around me...I can’t say I enjoy shopping but boy this evening with no arrows i was mildly happy :)

Just you wait and see, in two weeks time this will definitely cause a SECOND wave and the whole country will be in FULL lockdown !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
No symptoms in 80% of positive Covid tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53320155

There's a tweet referencing this on the previous page but I found this very interesting. Back in March, the assumption appeared to be that roughly 1 in 5 people would have the virus with few to new symptoms. Now we're saying it's 4 in 5 - that's quite a shift.

What's behind that shift? Well, certainly we know a hell of a lot more about the virus than we did in March and we're testing in far greater numbers than we were back then, but I don't think that tells the whole story.

Let's just think about this for a second; who are all these asymptomatic people getting tested? At the outset, only the sick were being tested, but now anyone who wants one can have one. If you're not symptomatic, surely the only reason you would want one would be because you're at a higher risk of contracting the virus through work, for example you work in a medical profession, or as a taxi driver or factory worker and so on. The bulk of these new cases are not reflective of our society as a whole.

Even if we take that small segment of the community, we're seeing cases fall - today's number is the lowest since 18th March. But more importantly, we appear to be seeing a much smaller number of those people get sick. Look at Sweden and the US - cases are soaring, but deaths are not.

To put all of this together, here is my (admittedly non-scientific supposition):

• Cases are in fact much, much higher than is being captured through tests, but only because the bulk of those cases are asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic
  • Even though cases are higher than reported, the number is still consistently falling.
  • For both of those statements to be true, it would have to mean that the virus is becoming considerably less transmissible AND less harmful than it was in February and March.
It's difficult to say why this might be the case, but it's even harder to find any other explanation for the patterns we are seeing. We'll have a good, anecdotal idea in three or four weeks time. Compared to a couple of months ago, we are far, far more socially mobile. In particular, younger people are mixing far more readily with their elderly parents than they were back then. If we don't see a meaningful increase in serious, symptomatic cases then it can only mean one thing: the virus has seen its arse.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
No symptoms in 80% of positive Covid tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53320155

There's a tweet referencing this on the previous page but I found this very interesting. Back in March, the assumption appeared to be that roughly 1 in 5 people would have the virus with few to new symptoms. Now we're saying it's 4 in 5 - that's quite a shift.

What's behind that shift? Well, certainly we know a hell of a lot more about the virus than we did in March and we're testing in far greater numbers than we were back then, but I don't think that tells the whole story.

Let's just think about this for a second; who are all these asymptomatic people getting tested? At the outset, only the sick were being tested, but now anyone who wants one can have one. If you're not symptomatic, surely the only reason you would want one would be because you're at a higher risk of contracting the virus through work, for example you work in a medical profession, or as a taxi driver or factory worker and so on. The bulk of these new cases are not reflective of our society as a whole.

Even if we take that small segment of the community, we're seeing cases fall - today's number is the lowest since 18th March. But more importantly, we appear to be seeing a much smaller number of those people get sick. Look at Sweden and the US - cases are soaring, but deaths are not.

To put all of this together, here is my (admittedly non-scientific supposition):

• Cases are in fact much, much higher than is being captured through tests, but only because the bulk of those cases are asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic
  • Even though cases are higher than reported, the number is still consistently falling.
  • For both of those statements to be true, it would have to mean that the virus is becoming considerably less transmissible AND less harmful than it was in February and March.
It's difficult to say why this might be the case, but it's even harder to find any other explanation for the patterns we are seeing. We'll have a good, anecdotal idea in three or four weeks time. Compared to a couple of months ago, we are far, far more socially mobile. In particular, younger people are mixing far more readily with their elderly parents than they were back then. If we don't see a meaningful increase in serious, symptomatic cases then it can only mean one thing: the virus has seen its arse.

The 5% antibodies discovery doesn't suggest case numbers have been high, but I hope you're reet

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The 5% antibodies discovery doesn't suggest case numbers have been high, but I hope you're reet

5% of the UK population would equate to roughly 3.25m people, versus 286k confirmed cases. That alone would mean we're officially capturing around 9% of actual cases, which tallies with what I'm saying.

I'm not suggesting that we're approaching 'herd immunity', merely that the virus has been through several million people in the UK alone and may have evolved into something that spreads less easily and does less harm.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

[MENTION=27276]Wiz[/MENTION]ard and [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] have shared a few articles on this thread. Lots of evidence to suggest antibodies aren't the primary way of fighting the virus and most people don't have them, only those who were really ill.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
5% of the UK population would equate to roughly 3.25m people, versus 286k confirmed cases. That alone would mean we're officially capturing around 9% of actual cases, which tallies with what I'm saying.

I'm not suggesting that we're approaching 'herd immunity', merely that the virus has been through several million people in the UK alone and may have evolved into something that spreads less easily and does less harm.

Additionally there is increasing talk of the role t cells may be playing in this and if that could account for people being able to fight it off.
Either way it does seem to be a far weaker virus in the community than the one that arrived here

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Possible Reduced Capacity Matches

If any matches of the 2020/21 season are operated on a reduced capacity basis, Season Ticket Holders who have renewed will have an option to be entered into a ballot for the opportunity to access a ticket for the match. We shall aim to ensure that this system is well-communicated, fair and even-handed and that no one supporter receives multiple picks if others have not had the chance to do so.

Seems positive that the PL expects some crowds back by the start of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here