Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
137 deaths in all settings down from 186 last Friday.
D19D7983-39DC-498A-A660-CD98F6EF27B2.jpeg

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
PM in daily briefing:

"I want to work as fast as possible to get cricket back and we will be publishing guidelines in next few days so cricket can resume in time for next weekend"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I consider it good news that it looks very, very unlikely we will see a further national lockdown.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I consider it good news that it looks very, very unlikely we will see a further national lockdown.

Without wishing to dampen the "Good news" thread can we please get through the coming weekend before we start making too many blase predictions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven't added to the Sturm und Drang of this thread yet.

Maybe in a few months. . . . . . .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Without wishing to dampen the "Good news" thread can we please get through the coming weekend before we start making too many blase predictions?

Not really a blase prediction or even conjecture, more based on the comments from Professor Ferguson and other experts who have said the chances of needing another national lockdown are very, very small. I consider their comments to be good news, as it suggests a direction of travel towards local lockdowns.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

over the past couple of months there have been lots of dire predictions following very widely publicised events that were going to cause a second wave. VE Day, Bank Holidays, BLM Protests, Beach Days , First Relaxation of Lockdown, the list goes on. However 2-3 weeks after each of these, the infection rate,hospitalisation and then the death rate continued the downward trend with barely a blip. As time has gone on the estimated number of people currently with the disease in the community has gone from something like 1 in 400 to 1 in several thousand, meaning the likelihood of coming into close enough contact with someone for long enough to catch the disease has shrunk by a huge amount. Other countries in Europe that have relaxed lockdowns have followed the same trend. The expectation has always been that there will be isolated outbreaks and these would be contained with localised restrictions.

In light of the above, I don't think predictions that things are slowly returning to normal are "blase" at all, but reasonable based on everything we have seen before. Plenty off polls nationwide (and on here) show something like 80% are not going to be rushing out and packing into local pubs.

Of course there is a danger that there will be a resurgence, however that would be true at anytime until we have a vaccine that has been given to the vast majority of the population. That isn't likely for many many months, possibly years or even not at all. We can not remain in lockdown forever. So far the relaxing of lockdown has been successful and has not resulted in a second wave, or even a spike in new cases. This all indicates the governments timetable of relaxation is working and correct.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
over the past couple of months there have been lots of dire predictions following very widely publicised events that were going to cause a second wave. VE Day, Bank Holidays, BLM Protests, Beach Days , First Relaxation of Lockdown, the list goes on. However 2-3 weeks after each of these, the infection rate,hospitalisation and then the death rate continued the downward trend with barely a blip. As time has gone on the estimated number of people currently with the disease in the community has gone from something like 1 in 400 to 1 in several thousand, meaning the likelihood of coming into close enough contact with someone for long enough to catch the disease has shrunk by a huge amount. Other countries in Europe that have relaxed lockdowns have followed the same trend. The expectation has always been that there will be isolated outbreaks and these would be contained with localised restrictions.

In light of the above, I don't think predictions that things are slowly returning to normal are "blase" at all, but reasonable based on everything we have seen before. Plenty off polls nationwide (and on here) show something like 80% are not going to be rushing out and packing into local pubs.

Of course there is a danger that there will be a resurgence, however that would be true at anytime until we have a vaccine that has been given to the vast majority of the population. That isn't likely for many many months, possibly years or even not at all. We can not remain in lockdown forever. So far the relaxing of lockdown has been successful and has not resulted in a second wave, or even a spike in new cases. This all indicates the governments timetable of relaxation is working and correct.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Slight increase in deaths 136 compared to 100 last Saturday but the downward trend continues, 64 less deaths over the last 7 days compared to the previous 7. New infections continuing to drop, 519 compared to 890 a week ago from 50,000 more tests. Nearly a 2000 drop in total over the last 7 days compared to the previous 7.

136 is yesterday’s number mate :lolol: Today’s full figures haven’t been released yet.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just back from The hollybush and boy have they got it right,yet on a 1-2-1 situation in the toilet the other guy didn't wash his hands. You can't blame Boris or any government for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here