Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
79 NHS England deaths, down from 129 last Tuesday. Whilst we must always remember these are people and not numbers, its another big drop.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Well also you'd hope it just helps continue to refine, narrow down the search and point scientists in the right direction in terms of what other drugs could help, and in the process of producing new drugs to tackle COVID.

I believe that the expectation is no single drug will solve this, but a combination of drugs, this improvement, with the anti-clotting drug plus others will hopefully improve survival rates significantly.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I believe that the expectation is no single drug will solve this, but a combination of drugs, this improvement, with the anti-clotting drug plus others will hopefully improve survival rates significantly.

I dont think any drug can/ will stop these covids and no flu has ever been cured, I think they say Small pox is the only real vaccine that has eliminated a disease completly. Viruses mutate and dilute so I have read, even the deadly spanish flu / hong kong flu viruses are still around, they just dont kill as many anymore.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The maths behind the findings on that drug:

Ventilated patients

With no drug: 40% of ventilated patients unfortunately die
With this drug: 28% of ventilated patients die

It may not sound a lot but a reduction on mortality by 12%, saving an extra person from every 8 cases is a big breakthrough, considering there has been no drug so far that has been proven to have any effect at all, it’s not a miracle drug but a big finding all the same and could open the door to using it with other drugs to help even further.

What I don't understand is that it talks about non-ventilated (with and without oxygen) patients that die. Do people not get ventilated if they're about to die? Or were they perhaps already very sick in any case?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'm confused, the BBC reporting 233 deaths ???

The 233 reported by the BBC are deaths in all settings across the UK, which is down from 286 last Tuesday. The number mentioned by [MENTION=14080]The Wizard[/MENTION] is deaths reported by NHS England hospitals only.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm confused, the BBC reporting 233 deaths ???

Yeah, Tuesday is a catch up day for PHE outside hospital deaths and they give us no break down of when these deaths actually occurred so I use NHS England hospital figures primarily as they give us reliable data.

Another 20% decrease on last week though all in all as said above, continues the consistent downward trajectory.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The maths behind the findings on that drug:

Ventilated patients

With no drug: 40% of ventilated patients unfortunately die
With this drug: 28% of ventilated patients die

It may not sound a lot but a reduction on mortality by 12%, saving an extra person from every 8 cases is a big breakthrough, considering there has been no drug so far that has been proven to have any effect at all, it’s not a miracle drug but a big finding all the same and could open the door to using it with other drugs to help even further.

The trial shows that Dexamethasone reduces mortality in cases which are already serious. One of the most important things about this is how readily available it is and how well known its effects are which means that it can be used internationally right away. I take 40mg of this drug a week as part of my cancer treatment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The trial shows that Dexamethasone reduces mortality in cases which are already serious. One of the most important things about this is how readily available it is and how well known its effects are which means that it can be used internationally right away. I take 40mg of this drug a week as part of my cancer treatment.

:thumbsup: Agreed, Boris Johnson & Patrick Vallance just said this during the press conference, it’s a very cheap drug has been around since 1957 and isn’t limited by only being able to be produced in certain countries due to copyrights and other deals which is great news.

On another note, best wishes with your cancer treatment mate.

saulth

May 28, 2020
Italy has been reporting less than 100 daily deaths every day in June. Now the figures are further improving, consistently below 50. 44, 26 and 34 in the last three days (Italy is one of the few countries that doesn't seem to have any "weekend effect" in their reports). 202 new positive cases today which is only 0.4% of the total tests. Also, only 177 patients still in ICU's. It was 4100 at the peak.

I have always had a soft spot for Italy and it's fantastic to see their encouraging progress.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Italy has been reporting less than 100 daily deaths every day in June. Now the figures are further improving, consistently below 50. 44, 26 and 34 in the last three days (Italy is one of the few countries that doesn't seem to have any "weekend effect" in their reports). 202 new positive cases today which is only 0.4% of the total tests. Also, only 177 patients still in ICU's. It was 4100 at the peak.

I have always had a soft spot for Italy and it's fantastic to see their encouraging progress.

Lots of positive stuff here, but the standout for me is the 177 patients in ICU. Even with the occasional serious case trickling through, it seems that Italy cannot be far away from the end of their deadly pandemic. Maybe only a matter of weeks. Remarkable, it really doesn’t feel long ago that we were seeing images of page after page of obituaries in places like Bergamo.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
:thumbsup: Agreed, Boris Johnson & Patrick Vallance just said this during the press conference, it’s a very cheap drug has been around since 1957 and isn’t limited by only being able to be produced in certain countries due to copyrights and other deals which is great news.

On another note, best wishes with your cancer treatment mate.

Thanks very much. All good at the moment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
184 deaths announced today, 245 deaths last Wednesday. Continuing the decline.

Just 1100 new infections as well, all coming down nicely.

5F056BCE-A3A4-48C0-8ADE-39FAC2F19FAE.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here