Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The ‘Coolest’ person you ever met in the flesh?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never met him but Steve McQueen was the king of cool

And still is. Legend. :bowdown:

692DDE16-4F46-4FAE-9C6E-76EFB2500E48.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Joe Strummer, St Moritz Club in Soho. He, and a lady friend, literally sat at our table assuming the seats vacated by friends (one being the former poster [MENTION=1699]London Calling[/MENTION]) who’d gone to the bar were free. We were never going to tell him it was taken so he joined us for the rest of the night. An absolutely engaging, friendly and cool as **** chatterbox guy.

[MENTION=24354]Cesar Chavez[/MENTION] was also there that night

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Johnny Marr at a party.

No one else knew who he was and he just spent a couple of hours talking all things Smiths, The The, Manchester City and was the personification of being comfortable in their own skin.

Was also once phoned by Gordon Brown, who, regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, was extremely smart, personable and quick to take on ideas.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The verger bloke Edward Perry in Dad's Army. When we were kids, we went with my Mum to see a theatre play of Dad's Army at the
theatre Royal. The verger bloke came out last from the stage door and we all walked through the Lanes chatting. Top bloke.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Brian Ferry back in the early 80's in that Pub in Pulborough by the bridge over the Arun, wearing a cream coloured suit and drinking white wine, simply oozed sophistication to my then young untrained eyes...also Agnetha Fältskog while I was working as a sparks on the North Terminal at Gatwick, she was being ushered through a V.I.P. entrance, I stood gawping at her, she just smiled and put her finger to her lips and shushed me to keep quiet as she didn't want any attention, absolutely stunning looking, I seem to remember it was just as ABBA were breaking up.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A rather pickled Pete Postlethwaite in the toilets of the Charles Dickens Tavern in Melbourne, two hours before he was due on stage to perform in Scaramouche, the 100 yr old clown!

What a legend!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tommy Steele when I was about 7 on a ship to Cape Town. Took time out to chat to me most days on the trip. The fact that I still remember it means he must have made an impression on me.

I haven’t met any cool famous people since, I have met plenty of self important arses though :smile:

Actually I tell a lie, Sir Colin Cowdrey a few years before he passed on, absolute gent, also Des Lynam.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Des Lynam :bowdown:

I have met him a couple of times, lovely man and yes, very cool

At the league 2 or whatever it was called in those days Albion dinner. I was very drunk, he was very tolerant when I asked him how he could be an Albion fan when he spent most of his time watching genuinely top class teams. Can’t remember what his answer was though :lolol:

On another occasion on Ferring Rife with him pushing his bicycle along

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I sat next to Sid from Cebeebies for a couple of seasons in the Championship years. Lovely, lovely feller, very laid back and funny, does a whole load for charity, but quietly. Absolutely great with my son who could believe someone from off the telly watched Brighton. He also joined us watching an Albion away game in the Welly and ordered a pot of tea!

Have also met Norman Cook a few times including being served ice cream and coffee by him when the clubs were closed, another diamond.

Growing up my mum would promote and organize jazz gigs at an arts centre. I remember being introduced to George Melly and being astonished at his dress sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here