Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The ‘Coolest’ person you ever met in the flesh?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sir James Black, and Bowie (good, eh. [MENTION=33581]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] :wink:)

I've been acquainted with Luz Hurley's brother for 30 years and spent a couple of hours chatting (OK, ranting) with him at a research event ten years ago and, as always, neither of us mentioned his sister. Perhaps I should ask him if that make me cool in his estimation? ???

(the answer is obviously 'no', merely 'not a prat . . . on this occasion' :lolol:)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
In terms of who others might think of as cool probably Noel Gallagher but for me personally Bjork. I met a few in a previous job, and while I didn't meet her in that sense about 6 months before she died Princess Diana came incognito to the newspaper I worked for. We knew it was someone important because whenever someone "big" came they arranged the security and corridors so it was possible for them to come in and move around without being bothered or gawped at (David Hasslehoff was the last person they'd done it for, a bit weirdly). Anyway, she came through and didn't want the airs and graces of special treatment and seemed instead embarrassed by it. She had to walk through the room I was in, maybe 20 of us in it, so we were all told not to gawp or tell anyone she'd been as she tried to be a normal person moving through the building without fuss to go and speak to the editor. That's very cool to me.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Stirling Moss, genuinely lovely bloke and effortlessly cool.
Not sure if cool, but definitely entertaining, Will Ferrell. As barking mad in real life as he is in the movies. A good laugh but exhausting to be around after a while.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Martin Sheen, Paul Simonon , Tony Allen, Rico Rodriguez (the musician) , Brad Pitt, David Byrne.
Feel very lucky that my job has put me in the company of some amazing people.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mark Williams. Which was nice.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Chris Eubank. He used the tax accountants where my wife was a PA. Surprisingly when I met him and when he was there he didn’t speak with a lisp and was quite a humble guy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I sat next to Sid from Cebeebies for a couple of seasons in the Championship years. Lovely, lovely feller, very laid back and funny, does a whole load for charity, but quietly. Absolutely great with my son who could believe someone from off the telly watched Brighton. He also joined us watching an Albion away game in the Welly and ordered a pot of tea!

Have also met Norman Cook a few times including being served ice cream and coffee by him when the clubs were closed, another diamond.

Growing up my mum would promote and organize jazz gigs at an arts centre. I remember being introduced to George Melly and being astonished at his dress sense.

George was always the epitome of cool. I remember his announcing 'the captain is leaving the ship' as he sank slowly down behind a grand piano, a large Brandy still firmly ensconced in his hand :lolol:

But I did meet one of the coolest of people who has ever lived, strangely through horses of which he had a far greater interest than myself ???

charlie.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Albion-related: Chris Hughton.

Non-Albion related: David Coulthard

Marmite choice: Russell Brand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here