Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The clubs last chance to help create an atmosphere.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
You'll only get the perfect "atmosphere" if everyone in the stadium can hear everyone else.

The FACT is:- the acoustics are ensuring that the sound doesn't travel. It mainly reflects downwards, back to where it started. North Stand singers sound great in the North Stand, for example - but the noise doesn't (and won't) get heard in the South Stand, or at the far ends of the East or West Stands.

No amount of packing extra singers into a section of the ground will change this. It's how the stadium has been designed.

I don’t really agree with the comments regarding acoustics at the Amex as Leeds and dare I say it palace proved last season, a large a vociferous following in the South stand can make a noise that resonates round the ground better than almost any stadium I’ve been to of a similar size.

When the north and to a lesser extent the West stand is in full voice the Atmosphere is cracking IMO and I’ve witnessed this from a few different spots around the ground it’s just being a new ground not all the singers are near each other which I reckon means there’s not much togetherness like you’d find with an away following, the chanting is often fragmented from what I can see.

If the club is accommodating with people changing seats and the more vocal fans proactive then it wouldn’t take a huge amount of effort for people to move seats so that vocal supporters are bunched together more, this would make a huge difference.

I also think the NSK, who I am supportive of (although not my cup of tea) would do well to congregate in the south stand rather than the North where there’s more scope for accommodating new ‘members’ I feel the NSK with their flags and banners and willingness to try new chants are a brilliant addition to our home support but not really in keeping with the traditional North stand support.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For me the atmosphere is just fine at the Amex, when the game is deserving of it the noise volume rises, when the game is dull the atmos goes a bit flat. Compared to other away grounds I've been too I think we do a reasonable job and have nothing to be ashamed of. I was lucky enough to sit in a mates 1901 seat on tuesday night and the stadium sounded ok, I could even hear the south stand at some point. I think there are acoustic issues as when I've been in the south stand the north does not sound as raucous as from my regular WSU seat where the noise levels are pretty high.

We are no longer in the 70's or 80's anymore and the 'terrace culture' has changed and any attempts to artificially recreate it are doomed to failure. The one thing we need to get the atmosphere going is a superb performance or crap ref, when the occasion demands it I think the Amex steps up to the plate.

For me the atmosphere is just fine at the Amex, when the game is deserving of it the noise volume rises, when the game is dull the atmos goes a bit flat. Compared to other away grounds I've been too I think we do a reasonable job and have nothing to be ashamed of. I was lucky enough to sit in a mates 1901 seat on tuesday night and the stadium sounded ok, I could even hear the south stand at some point. I think there are acoustic issues as when I've been in the south stand the north does not sound as raucous as from my regular WSU seat where the noise levels are pretty high.

We are no longer in the 70's or 80's anymore and the 'terrace culture' has changed and any attempts to artificially recreate it are doomed to failure. The one thing we need to get the atmosphere going is a superb performance or crap ref, when the occasion demands it I think the Amex steps up to the plate.

Sort go along with this but its a shame young fans are going to be stuck in areas they might not want to be in as they become teenagers,i know my son will sing and shout at an away game with mates but not in the confines of the season ticket seat:moo:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus, this is a joke surely. Next they will be holding 'x factor' auditions for people to get a seat in the singing section. In many cases, the opposition and the tempo of the game will be the factors that get an atmosphere going. The style of football we play also is not conducive to an electric atmosphere, most of the time. That's not a criticism of the way we play but just the way it is.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jesus, this is a joke surely. Next they will be holding 'x factor' auditions for people to get a seat in the singing section. In many cases, the opposition and the tempo of the game will be the factors that get an atmosphere going. The style of football we play also is not conducive to an electric atmosphere, most of the time. That's not a criticism of the way we play but just the way it is.

lol rev wil play the role of simon cowell

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
*sigh*

The atmosphere at The Amex is one of the best in the country.

When I can be bothered, I'll post in detail about my experience watching Nottingham Forest vs Hull last season. I was in their equivalent of the West Stand and couldn't see/hear literally one person in the whole of our stand chant at any point during the match.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well I go to watch the football.

What an interesting concept! Do you think it will catch on?

Or will the football always be a minor distraction to assessing the standard of singing, the volume of singing, counting the empty seats, abusing the away fans, getting out in time to have an essential pie and pint at half-time, complaining about the cost and quality of said pie and pint, getting out in time to get a train/bus at 4.55, etc., etc.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wouldn't it be best to start with something simple like somehow getting the crowd to sing SBTS correctly, I find the most depressing time is when the players come out, at the moment it sound like the start of a circus.

Goodoldsusxbytseagoodoldsusxbytseaweregooinguptowinthecupsussexbythesea breath alltogethernow ............ all done whilst clapping faster than singing.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My two pence worth:

I also think the NSK, who I am supportive of (although not my cup of tea) would do well to congregate in the south stand rather than the North where there’s more scope for accommodating new ‘members’ I feel the NSK with their flags and banners and willingness to try new chants are a brilliant addition to our home support but not really in keeping with the traditional North stand support.

Actually that is a very good idea. I understand the NSK but don't really like that kind of thing, but anything that helps create and atmosphere should be encouraged. If they were in the South Stand it could work really well, creating a different kind of atmosphere there and leaving the North to the more traditional English atmosphere.

Wouldn't it be best to start with something simple like somehow getting the crowd to sing SBTS correctly, I find the most depressing time is when the players come out, at the moment it sound like the start of a circus.

Goodoldsusxbytseagoodoldsusxbytseaweregooinguptowinthecupsussexbythesea breath alltogethernow ............ all done whilst clapping faster than singing.

I actually think that's got a bit better this season, although it is still nothing like loud enough.

Make the North stand non reserved seating.. Your season ticket grants you access to the north but you sit where you like... :rave:

Great idea in theory, but you cant do that if it's sold out, which it is, every week.

For an all seater stadium the atmosphere is good

Next people will say it should be hostile where now it is friendly and welcoming

Maybe we should have a fighting area

I think it is quite hostile sometimes. I don't mean for opposition fans, but when we are attacking the North and we need a goal and nothing is going our way and there are dodgy refereeing decisions etc, the crowd really get on the officials and opposition players' backs. That's when the Amex is at it's loudest. I would have thought it's a fairly hostile stadium to play in, if not to visit as an away fan. And that's what we want, really. I don't mind away fans enjoying the Amex, but we don't want opposition players enjoying it.

The better we play and the more goal chances we have the better the atmosphere will be. Playing a big team with plenty of visiting supporters is also likely to create an atmosphere. Last two games have been subdued because our football has been a bit pedestrian and the away fans a bit quiet too. Not sure that you can FORCE an atmosphere if the fans aren't excited.

There have been plenty of games where the Amex has rocked.

Indeed, any stadium in the world can have a good atmosphere. Even Withdean on the odd occasion (play-off games, promotion deciders etc) was good sometimes. It's always going to be better when things are exciting on the pitch.

The style of football we play also is not conducive to an electric atmosphere, most of the time. That's not a criticism of the way we play but just the way it is.

I think that's true to a certain extent as well. The style of football is more suited to a Spanish style atmosphere of slow, constant singing, and the more European type songs. I think that's why the Great Escape works. Maybe the NSK have it right after all!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Whatever the acoustics, if everyone in the North Stand sings they will be heard in all parts of the ground. Is it not public knowledge enough yet that the NS is meant to be the rowdy stand? The new ST holder next to me is some old lady who wants to stand there in silence politely clapping now and then. I actually cringe for her.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I think the north do a great job considering the number of fans which I think is 2.5 k. When I first saw the plans the lack of a largish kop behind our North goal was disappointing. I think if our kop was twice the size approaching the numbers in the old North Stand at The Goldstone it would make a big big difference. I'm sure a larger North could have been incorporated and the offices built outside of the actual stadium area. Anyone else think this?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think the north do a great job considering the number of fans which I think is 2.5 k. When I first saw the plans the lack of a largish kop behind our North goal was disappointing. I think if our kop was twice the size approaching the numbers in the old North Stand at The Goldstone it would make a big big difference. I'm sure a larger North could have been incorporated and the offices built outside of the actual stadium area. Anyone else think this?

If they converted it to terracing it would hold 4,000+, that has to be the answer! It is a shame it only holds 2500, but think of the noise we've made at some away games down the years, Peterborough for example (yes I know the terrace helps massively) when we've had 2500 there. If we could create that kind of noise it would be amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here