Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The clubs last chance to help create an atmosphere.

Wouldn't it be best to start with something simple like somehow getting the crowd to sing SBTS correctly, I find the most depressing time is when the players come out, at the moment it sound like the start of a circus.

Goodoldsusxbytseagoodoldsusxbytseaweregooinguptowinthecupsussexbythesea breath alltogethernow ............ all done whilst clapping faster than singing.

ITS TIME WE DROPPED GOSBTS AND GET AN ADOPTED ONE PEOPLE CAN SING:moo:

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If they converted it to terracing it would hold 4,000+, that has to be the answer! It is a shame it only holds 2500, but think of the noise we've made at some away games down the years, Peterborough for example (yes I know the terrace helps massively) when we've had 2500 there. If we could create that kind of noise it would be amazing.

That is not going to happen though is it C ?
I went to the Goldstone from 1967 to its sad demise and there were a hell of a lot more times when the atmosphere was shit rather than good. Old grounds were noisier with their low roofs when they got going but those days are gone with the designs of new stadiums. As for safe standing ? I'm still not convinced.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I went to the Goldstone from 1967 to its sad demise and there were a hell of a lot more times when the atmosphere was shit rather than good. Old grounds were noisier with their low roofs when they got going but those days are gone with the designs of new stadiums. As for safe standing ? I'm still not convinced.

I wouldn’t be so sure, if as suggested standing returns to Scotland without any hiccups then I don’t see any reason why it won’t happen here.

The rake of the North Stand would be perfect for a standing section and the proximity of the control box would be ideal for crowd monitoring purposes. I genuinely believe that if it was to be trialled we’d be one of the first to be given the chance, providing our board is willing of course.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn’t be so sure, if as suggested standing returns to Scotland without any hiccups then I don’t see any reason why it won’t happen here.

The rake of the North Stand would be perfect for a standing section and the proximity of the control box would be ideal for crowd monitoring purposes. I genuinely believe that if it was to be trialled we’d be one of the first to be given the chance, providing our board is willing of course.

It has been here for over a hundred and forty years though hasn't it ? Just of late in the lower divisions. If you can guarantee that no one moves to one side of a terrace over another and no crush ever develops - and you limit capacity then fine but we'll see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I do love this revisionist, rose tinted glasses, view of how great the Goldstone was. I started going in '79 as an 8 year old and while the noise and choreographed clapping from the North Stand was indeed enticing the fighting that often took place really wasn't, especially for the adults who were trying to keep me safe. There was never any singing in the West Terrace where I went as a lad except for a very odd chant of 'Seaaagulls' when we got a corner. By the time I'd shed my minders and graduated to the North (and the North had a roof put on it) we'd dropped a division. While we still got decent crowds for big games (Southampton and Arsenal in the cup, Bristol Rovers promotion game) we also regularly got under 10,000.

During many of these routine games the only part of the ground that sang was my bit, behind the North goal at the back. Rarely did the blocks either side join in and sometime nor did those at the front. This is where the celery chucking and the left side / right side thing started. Essentially songs and activities to make up for how boring the rest of the North Stand and indeed ground were.

Contrast that with Tuesday. People saying the atmosphere was crap but we had over 20K in attendance and three different stands contributing noise / songs. And no fights.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It has been here for over a hundred and forty years though hasn't it ? Just of late in the lower divisions. If you can guarantee that no one moves to one side of a terrace over another and no crush ever develops - and you limit capacity then fine but we'll see.

Traditional terracing will never return, which I actually agree with. This is more down to policing and security reasons than safety as you can’t identify an individual if they cause trouble but the German model of safe standing, where you are allocated a specific standing space will return, I have every faith, there’s too much support for it not to IMO

I do love this revisionist, rose tinted glasses, view of how great the Goldstone was. I started going in '79 as an 8 year old and while the noise and choreographed clapping from the North Stand was indeed enticing the fighting that often took place really wasn't, especially for the adults who were trying to keep me safe. There was never any singing in the West Terrace where I went as a lad except for a very odd chant of 'Seaaagulls' when we got a corner. By the time I'd shed my minders and graduated to the North (and the North had a roof put on it) we'd dropped a division. While we still got decent crowds for big games (Southampton and Arsenal in the cup, Bristol Rovers promotion game) we also regularly got under 10,000.

During many of these routine games the only part of the ground that sang was my bit, behind the North goal at the back. Rarely did the blocks either side join in and sometime nor did those at the front. This is where the celery chucking and the left side / right side thing started. Essentially songs and activities to make up for how boring the rest of the North Stand and indeed ground were.

Contrast that with Tuesday. People saying the atmosphere was crap but we had over 20K in attendance and three different stands contributing noise / songs. And no fights.

I'm not sure we want to go back to the days of brawling on the terraces thank you very muchpunish:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Not any time soon, unfortunately. But you never know in the future.

The big German terraces that hold 20,000 are essentially 10 seperate terraces that hold 2,000 each. If it's safe to stand on the terrace at Peterborough then it's safe to stand on ten of those seperate terraces put together, each with their own seperate entrance and capacity. There is no reason why it couldn't work in England, apart from the fact that no polotician is going to put their name to it and try and push it through.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That's a brilliant post but as a long time season ticket holder in the old west stand i must leap to its defence as frequently the place sung 'come on you blues'. There, that's doubled the number of songs!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
still waiting too see away fans drinking in the home areas,what a joke that was :shrug:

Indeed. Remember how we were told the North concourse was going to be full of Pompey / Leeds / Cardiff etc happily supping pints and chatting to the home fans?

The club are f***ing lucky that very few away fans fancied it (or more likely even realised it was an option) or it would have been carnage.

Jan 30, 2008
Indeed. Remember how we were told the North concourse was going to be full of Pompey / Leeds / Cardiff etc happily supping pints and chatting to the home fans?

The club are f***ing lucky that very few away fans fancied it (or more likely even realised it was an option) or it would have been carnage.
maybe they should send out invites :D

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
maybe they should send out invites :D

It would be the first time that "Come and join us over here" would actually be a viable option. "Come and join us for a beer"?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What has happend is simply evolution , those of us who grew up on the terraces of the goldstone northstand are now at a age where the norm on a saturday afternoon is to be planting some seeds or reading how long a individual steak and kidney pie takes to explode in the microwave , as you could'nt be bothered to read the bit about the silver foil , and if its a evening kick off most are asleep by 8pm anyhow , so the atmosphere will be a bit of a let down , not by the lack of people being unenthusiastic but simply age has started to creep up and the thought of once again being in the north stand watching Brighton play lured many into thinking they could jump back 20 years and still go left then right and scream obcenities at the ref for 90 mins.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The OP is blatently fishing as per his normal form. The atmosphere at The Amex is possibly the best of any home team in this division. When its good it is very loud from any stand. On average I cant think of many grounds if any that are better. If the game is dire then things are a bit quieter just like at any other stadium in this country!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here