Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Catholics are at it again

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately in this world, equality doesn't really exist.

Did that stop women fighting for the right to vote, or african americans fighting for their civil rights? Your "equality doesn't exist" argument is as weak as your "that's the way it's always been" argument.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So they DON'T like gays but happy to protect kiddie fiddlers. At least that's clear.
Always liked that Stephen Fry speech in which he pointed out pretty much that (and a number of other good points mentioned in this thread) so - this.

City

Feb 17, 2012
Manchester City FC
Care to explain what effect two people of the same gender marrying will have on you ?

It doesn't have any effect on me.
I am not even religious but I just do not believe in gay marriage. I was raised with different principles.

By that logic I could say:
Why are drugs illegal if it has no effect no me as I don't used them...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I am not even religious but I just do not believe in gay marriage. I was raised with different principles.
I don't know how old you are, but you are allowed to question the principles you were raised with.

Especially when they're obviously nonsense.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have absolutely no doubt that this will be completely ignored (feel free to reply if you actually notice), but devout, church-going (and involved in other stuff) Catholic here who finds this embarassing and wrong. But hey, don't let that prevent the general abuse about an entire religion.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Or...why did people care about apartheid when they didn't live in South Africa?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I have absolutely no doubt that this will be completely ignored
:moo:

I didn't realise saying you're allowed to question the principles you're raised with would be regarded as a specific attack on the catholic church. Especially as it was in response to someone that's said he's not religious.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And therein lies the problem - the church and religious people believe not only in some Sky Fairy but also that they OWN the right to marriage. The change in law won't force those houses of kiddy fiddling sin marry people of the same gender. It will only make it legal for gay people to be equal and, if they wish, to have a civil marriage. Quite why religious bigots feel the need to force their beliefs on everyone else is beyond me. How EXACTLY will two men or two women getting married in a registrar office effect YOU precisely ?

For a start,I am not a religious bigot;in fact I am non religious.
Two men or women getting married would not affect me personally anymore than a lot of things that I do not necessarily agree with, but happen, affect me personally.I just happen to believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.Not really such an outrageous stance to take,I reckon.
I am all in favour of civil partnerships for gays and I believe this was a long overdue piece of legislation.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:moo:

I didn't realise saying you're allowed to question the principles you're raised with would be regarded as a specific attack on the catholic church.

Read through the thread, plenty of generic attacks at Catholicism not related to the topic.

City

Feb 17, 2012
Manchester City FC
for a start,i am not a religious bigot;in fact i am non religious.
Two men or women getting married would not affect me personally anymore than a lot of things that i do not necessarily agree with, but happen, affect me personally.i just happen to believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.not really such an outrageous stance to take,i reckon.
I am all in favour of civil partnerships for gays and i believe this was a long overdue piece of legislation.
this.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Read through the thread, plenty of generic attacks at Catholicism not related to the topic.
Then why didn't you quote them instead of my post?

That gave me the impression you were replying to me.

:)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Two men or women getting married would not affect me personally anymore than a lot of things that I do not necessarily agree with, but happen, affect me personally.I just happen to believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.Not really such an outrageous stance to take,I reckon.
I am all in favour of civil partnerships for gays and I believe this was a long overdue piece of legislation.

This.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Illegal drugs produce crime which often affects innocent bystanders. Two gay people demonstrating their love for each other by getting married affects NOBODY. Hence, if it doesn't affect you then quite frankly why would you object on anything other than bigotry grounds ?

Oct 21, 2007
Portslade

Perfectly put. I too am not religious, have no problem with sexuality, race, colour, whatever. But why should traditions throughout our society be eroded away just to please the minorities?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Principles that make you homophobic ? What if I said I was against blacks getting married because that was the principle I was raised with ? Would that be right ? No of course not, it would make me racist in exactly the same way anyone against gay marriage is homophobic.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Perfectly put. I too am not religious, have no problem with sexuality, race, colour, whatever. But why should traditions throughout our society be eroded away just to please the minorities?

So you advocate discrimination against one minority (homosexuals) to please another (religious people)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here