Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Catholics are at it again

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
"If Roman Catholics don't approve of same-sex marriage, they should make sure they don't get married to someone of the same sex." Ben Summerskill of Stonewall with my quote of the day.

This. There are plenty of issues of wider morality that religions are entitled to an outward opinion on. This, in my view, isn't one. Very embarassed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If marijuana was legal, the entire infrastructure of organized crime involved in its manufacturing and distribution would lose any reason for existence because marijuana would be legally produced and sold at a much cheaper price by legitimate companies.

The blood bath in Mexico would stop.

Many intelligent people have already conjectured this.

The majority? Show me the statistics.

I can't see the point in criminalizing someone for smoking dope or really having laws controlling supply.

But I'm not convinced on the reduction in crime argument. Why ? Alcohol and fags are both legal but the black market industry is huge.

Realistically if Governments controlled and taxed narcotics, someone would move into the market illegally to supply them cheaper.

The only way to take the crime aspect of drugs is to make them so cheap to supply it's worth nobody's business creating a black market. That realistically isn't going to happen, so perversely - retain/increase the penalties for those who supply them without a license.

Quite understand why anything thinks that legalising drugs will lead to a safer product either. It definately isn't happening with fags, since people are readily lapping up the counterfeit ones.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This. There are plenty of issues of wider morality that religions are entitled to an outward opinion on. This, in my view, isn't one. Very embarassed.

Hope you be making that point when the letter is read out on Sunday presuming you will be in church?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
"If Roman Catholics don't approve of same-sex marriage, they should make sure they don't get married to someone of the same sex." Ben Summerskill of Stonewall with my quote of the day.

Excellent.

Sums the whole thing up perfectly.

Do what you like, but don't tell other people what to do.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hope you be making that point when the letter is read out on Sunday presuming you will be in church?

Am I going to shout down the priest during a ceremony I believe is sacred? No. Am I quite happy to make my point in discussion with anyone who will listen (including priest), then yes.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
What a legitimate reason for the Holocaust then!

To be fair, my comment was mainly meant facetiously, since I knew loads of people would just spout a load of "bloody Catholics blah blah blah". But that comparison (which others have made) is completely moronic, since the Holocaust was clearly an illegal act, whereas arguing about the technicalities of marriage laws is not.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
i agree that marriage now holds little or no meaning than what it once meant. It used to mean a stable relationship. Now it seems as though people do it for money (mills/mccartney) or as a temporary solution, not because they want to spend their life with someone.

Alas, however, the Catholics have once again, blown this out of proportion. Bad marriages aren't just down to the LGBT community, rather, the whole population of those who get married for the wrong reasons.

Everyone does it, in reality, not just gays.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I hate blacks, gays, asians, chinese, jews, muslims and i do not believe they should have equal rights.

But its ok, because it was the way i was raised!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
It doesn't have any effect on me.
I am not even religious but I just do not believe in gay marriage. I was raised with different principles.

By that logic I could say:
Why are drugs illegal if it has no effect no me as I don't used them...

Agree with this , do not argue because this is my opinion and i will always stick with this . You need a woman and a man to bring children into this world and this is how it should be !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the irony and stupidity of this debate is marriage and civil partnerships are exactly the same legally. its literally about semantics, the religious lobby forced the adoption of this new term so they could preserve the word marriage as meaning "a union of man and woman".

I think the resolution is for non-religious to have civil partnerships. only bizarrely straight couples cant, its exclusivly for same sex. its a nice little label. i recall there is a straight couple making their stand by refusing to marry as they want to have a civil partnership instead, and credit to them for highlighting this stupidity. thats what should change, because the dumb sky-god believers wont anytime soon, allow civil partnerships to be man/woman, thus removing the stigma and only difference. then the religious can go choke on their eucharist.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I actually can't believe this is such a huge issue. Just shows how the gay lobby push their barrow so much harder to the point where actual important issues get less coverage in the media.

Really, who gives a f*** if a couple of fat, ugly old birds can't get married when the amount of homeless people in western societies grows each day.

Most overated topic of discussion on the planet by a long stretch.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I agree. There should be no discussions about anything else until worldwide homelessness is resolved. Bozza will probably want to shut down NSC too as we can't be talking about a few blokes kicking some leather around while bad things are happening in the world.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Dandyman

In London village.
I actually can't believe this is such a huge issue. Just shows how the gay lobby push their barrow so much harder to the point where actual important issues get less coverage in the media.

Really, who gives a f*** if a couple of fat, ugly old birds can't get married when the amount of homeless people in western societies grows each day.

This thread was started because of comments made by Cardinal O'Brien the head of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland not the "gay lobby". Would your bigotry be dented if two fit birds wanted to get married ?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

it's about equality, that's all. And you, old son, are a bigot. Whatever you try & hide it behind

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This thread was started because of comments made by Cardinal O'Brien the head of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland not the "gay lobby". Would your bigotry be dented if two fit birds wanted to get married ?

The issue is a non issue both ways.

The thing is I don't give a f*** if they get married, just shut the f*** up about it as if it's something vitally important. Important enough to over shadow real issues.

What a clergymen says about gays getting married isn't news worthy, neither is gays bleating on about getting married.

Trouble is too often its page 1 on the news and not page 15 where it belongs.

But really, calling people bigots because they dont care or agree with it is a stupid assumption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here