Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Catholics are at it again

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I actually can't believe this is such a huge issue. Just shows how the gay lobby push their barrow so much harder to the point where actual important issues get less coverage in the media.

Really, who gives a f*** if a couple of fat, ugly old birds can't get married when the amount of homeless people in western societies grows each day.

Most overated topic of discussion on the planet by a long stretch.

Yes damn those terrible gays for wanting equality, when there are so much more important issues to discuss. Personally I think we don't give enough time to the discussion of the extent of the involvement of the catholic church in fascist atrocites during the 20th century. Where's all the debate about the role of their role in the Ustase of Croatia or their support for the dictatorship of Franco?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
it's about equality, that's all. And you, old son, are a bigot. Whatever you try & hide it behind

No. I'm a Libertarian.

I'm all for letting them get married, the sooner the better so everyone shuts the f*** up about it. My objection is to the coverage this topic gets in the media and how it's made out to be some vital issue. An issue that has no relevance to the economic, health or stability of a nation should not be, it's a small small issue funded by a rich, vocal lobby group.

You know what they say about people who love to assume...

And you my old son are an ass.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The issue is a non issue both ways.

The thing is I don't give a f*** if they get married, just shut the f*** up about it as if it's something vitally important. Important enough to over shadow real issues.

What a clergymen says about gays getting married isn't news worthy, neither is gays bleating on about getting married.

Trouble is too often its page 1 on the news and not page 15 where it belongs.

But really, calling people bigots because they dont care or agree with it is a stupid assumption.
If you don't care then maybe stop going on about it? It obviously bothers you however much you wriggle

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes damn those terrible gays for wanting equality, when there are so much more important issues to discuss. Personally I think we don't give enough time to the discussion of the extent of the involvement of the catholic church in fascist atrocites during the 20th century. Where's all the debate about the role of their role in the Ustase of Croatia or their support for the dictatorship of Franco?

Could you be any more of a wanker if you tried?

By all means put gay marriage one the front page of the newspaper if that's your thing. Excuse me though if I'd rather see as more debate and coverage given to something like mental health issues within society and how people truly suffer from that.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Could you be any more of a wanker if you tried?

By all means put gay marriage one the front page of the newspaper if that's your thing. Excuse me though if I'd rather see as more debate and coverage given to something like mental health issues within society and how people truly suffer from that.

Good point, let's talk about damage caused by child abuse. Or perhaps the spread of Aids in Africa. Oh hang on...

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Pretty sure I stated why it bothers me...

Page 15 news, not page 1.
your cardinal put it on page one. Maybe you should take it up with him?
Of course there's more important issues but because of him, we (& you, although apparantly you don't care) are currently debating this one

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good point, let's talk about damage caused by child abuse. Or perhaps the spread of Aids in Africa. Oh hang on...

Dropped on your head as a child?

You chose to mock a far more serious issue in mental health within society so you can have some cheap shot with f*** all relevance to the topic.

Bright spark you are.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
your cardinal put it on page one. Maybe you should take it up with him?
Of course there's more important issues but because of him, we (& you, although apparantly you don't care) are currently debating this one

Unless you're a Scottish Catholic then anything he says is irelevant to you, to me, to anyone outside of his diocese.

It's a politican issue, not a relgious one. people can have opinions, but their opinions mean nothing, including the Cardinals.

The only way it becomes a relgious issue is if a law is proposed where by religious organisations are bound by law to marry gays within their churches.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
To the christian church, marriage is a union between a man and woman to the exclusion of all others. Given that is what they believe then it is hardly surprising that they have a view on a proposal to have marriage that is not between a man and woman. hence his comment (so badly put) that why not allow multiple parties to the marriage (as in if they dont believe the first part why then not allow the second part).

I dont actually agree with him - I have no issue with gay marriages but in the same way as some faiths do not allow divorcees to remarry in their church then I suspect (and understand) that many will also do the same for gay marriages (may allow blessing but not the actual marriage).

One part that hasnt been explained is does this now allow a man and woman to have a civil partnership rather than a marriage? Since CPs have been allowed, those who have wanted one but arent same sex have been told that marriage is the route for them. It would seem discriminatory to have same sex marriages and civil partnerships but only allow marriages for differing sex couples

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
To the christian church, marriage is a union between a man and woman to the exclusion of all others.

Isnt that a bit of a sweeping statement? I thought the "christian church" would include all christians from whatever denomination within the christian faith, which must surely include some that believe gay marriage is not abhorrent? Or are you suggesting that in order to be a true Christian you must be against gay marriage?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The church moves it's moral compass DECADES behind modern day public thinking, and always has done. It's the main reason why it is frankly laughable that anyone should pay any attention to the teachings of any organised religion. They do it all the time. I think the funniest recent example of this is when the church of England swept aside 500 years of history to ensure the King in waiting (Prince Charles) could re-marry and take his place on the throne when the time comes. They won't allow divorcees to marry in their church, yet the head of the church will be a re-married divorcee. WTF?

All denominations will think condoms and same sex marriages are wonderful ideas in 2063 when we're all eating insect burgers, water is rationed and half of Africa has been wiped out because of Aids. I have no time for any of them.

It's sad that in this day and age 2000 year old word of mouth and 1500 year old+ books (note the gap between apparent events and writing them down - chinese whispers anyone?) have an active role in political decision making (Bishops in the Lords etc). No one in society should be less equal than any other in terms of rights and freedoms.

As some have already mentioned - what harm does it do anyone if 2 people get married; whether straight, gay or bisexual? It is a private matter for the individuals and their friends and family.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
The church moves it's moral compass DECADES behind modern day public thinking, and always has done. It's the main reason why it is frankly laughable that anyone should pay any attention to the teachings of any organised religion. They do it all the time. I think the funniest recent example of this is when the church of England swept aside 500 years of history to ensure the King in waiting (Prince Charles) could re-marry and take his place on the throne when the time comes. They won't allow divorcees to marry in their church, yet the head of the church will be a re-married divorcee. WTF?

All denominations will think condoms and same sex marriages are wonderful ideas in 2063 when we're all eating insect burgers, water is rationed and half of Africa has been wiped out because of Aids. I have no time for any of them.

That's your opinion and fair enough. What puts in you in a position to be able to pass such a damning indictment and generalisation and pass it off as fact? I'm not questioning your opinion only the use of phrases such as 'It's the main reason why it is frankly laughable that anyone should pay any attention to the teachings of any organised religion. They do it all the time.'

I dont necessarily agree or disagree with your view point - but surely to simply dismiss hundreds of millions of people as being somehow intellectually inferior to you is surely strange.

Religion comes from the Latin meaning 'set of rules' - and therefore the supposition that religion is in fact faith/belief based on typical Christian values is in itself misleading. Secular ways of life or athiest beliefs are themselves religious as they are based on beliefs or ideals.

For an articulate poster I'm simply saying that if you paint yourself as an enlightened one and see those who have faith or beliefs whatever their denomination as 'laughable' it would probably be a good idea to use your language and terminology correctly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That's your opinion and fair enough. What puts in you in a position to be able to pass such a damning indictment and generalisation and pass it off as fact? I'm not questioning your opinion only the use of phrases such as 'It's the main reason why it is frankly laughable that anyone should pay any attention to the teachings of any organised religion. They do it all the time.'

I dont necessarily agree or disagree with your view point - but surely to simply dismiss hundreds of millions of people as being somehow intellectually inferior to you is surely strange.

Religion comes from the Latin meaning 'set of rules' - and therefore the supposition that religion is in fact faith/belief based on typical Christian values is in itself misleading. Secular ways of life or athiest beliefs are themselves religious as they are based on beliefs or ideals.

For an articulate poster I'm simply saying that if you paint yourself as an enlightened one and see those who have faith or beliefs whatever their denomination as 'laughable' it would probably be a good idea to use your language and terminology correctly.

that is far too impartial and eloquent.........cant you spice it up a bit old chap...???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This is the second time you've pulled me up for my religious beliefs inside a week. Clearly this is all my own opinion and not fact.

I find it laughable that the church is so riddled with hypocrisy that on the one hand it preaches that it is the one and only moral compass, led by blind faith - yet on the other it will change it's position on many issues so readily, in response to public opinion, but a long time afterwards.

Another example just off the top of my head (and this is obviously a very extreme example) is that the Dutch Reform Church thought apartheid was acceptable, based on the spurious "teachings" of one sentence in a 2,000 year old book. How odd then, that it's position has changed after the 1990 white-only vote to abandon the policy. Why should anyone ever believe what that church says ever again? Yet people still go to Dutch Reform Churches in South Africa don't they?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Principles that make you homophobic ? What if I said I was against blacks getting married because that was the principle I was raised with ? Would that be right ? No of course not, it would make me racist in exactly the same way anyone against gay marriage is homophobic.

being against gay marriage makes u homophobic?...eh?...sorry but thats rubbish

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is the second time you've pulled me up for my religious beliefs inside a week. Clearly this is all my own opinion and not fact.

I find it laughable that the church is so riddled with hypocrisy that on the one hand it preaches that it is the one and only moral compass, led by blind faith - yet on the other it will change it's position on many issues so readily, in response to public opinion, but a long time afterwards.

Another example just off the top of my head (and this is obviously a very extreme example) is that the Dutch Reform Church thought apartheid was acceptable, based on the spurious "teachings" of one sentence in a 2,000 year old book. How odd then, that it's position has changed after the 1990 white-only vote to abandon the policy. Why should anyone ever believe what that church says ever again? Yet people still go to Dutch Reform Churches in South Africa don't they?

i think u said it yourself an extreme example for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here