Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Burnley matchday experience v likely AMEX matchday experience for Watford

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
**** off and support Burnley if you like it so much. Does your description of 'good atmosphere' include barely disguised racism towards our players and booing of an anti-racist gesture?

It's a Brexit heartland. You'd fit right in.

What a prick

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Burnley
Took forever to get there. They really need to move it closer.
Was able to park for free within 10 minutes walk of stadium.
No covid checks needed or required. No facemasks worn.
Through turnstile in a matter of seconds. No body search.
Bought drink and bottle lid was allowed to be kept on.
Cheap but ugly looking food.
Decent enough view provided you moved more centrally to avoid the pillar that was otherwise slightly blocking the penalty area.
VAR didn't poke it's ugly nose in.
Good atmosphere but mostly generated by the split home and away support.
Long drive home. They really need to move it closer.
Note, could have easily passed ticket to someone else if couldn't go (for nothing).
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Shouldn't take long to get there, but will trains and car parking cope. New mobile ticket for parking might mean long queues at parking. Lack of parking may mean more people getting train?
Covid check point.
Ticket checkpoint and activation? Bag check, body search.
Turnstile and in.
Fans must wear a face covering at all times when moving around inside the stadium.
Expensive but decent food and drink, no bottle tops allowed, and don't dare bring a flask.
VAR hopefully won't poke it's ugly nose in.
Atmosphere - hopefully good, probably depends on how the team is performing. But generous view and position given to away support will probably help them more.
Home trip, likely big queues for trains, difficulty getting out of Bridge Car Park, easier from Uni I suspect.
Cost £42 minimum, but includes train travel if you are reasonably local.

Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach. I'll prepare to be flamed though but if you're a floating fan, you can see why we are not selling out our first home game with fans for a long time. :eek:

Just one ever sop small caveat to what you say. Even at Turf Moor, as well as every other football stadia in the country, Covid checks will become essential as from 1st October.

The Albion have just decided to implement them early, so that fans can become used to tbem, and officials used to implementing the checks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Been said many times, all clubs are going to have to use some sort of covid check to give access. Having t'whippet giving you a quick sniff will not do it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Just one ever sop small caveat to what you say. Even at Turf Moor, as well as every other football stadia in the country, Covid checks will become essential as from 1st October.

The Albion have just decided to implement them early, so that fans can become used to tbem, and officials used to implementing the checks.

That is not true. It has to be passed in Parliament.

At the moment that looks unlikely due to Covid passports being hugely divisive, although they seem extremely popular on NSC for some unfathomable reason

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Don't forget that many of the measures that Brighton are using on Saturday (and Chelsea and Spurs) are to future proof what is expected to be required at all clubs from October.

In effect Brighton are trying to introduce what will be a consistent approach for both before and after October.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

At the moment that looks unlikely due to Covid passports being hugely divisive, although they seem extremely popular on NSC for some unfathomable reason

Really? Boris can whip the vote if he wants to and if Labour oppose vaccine passport use and cases rocket they'll become even more unelectable.

Tony Bloom and Paul Barber think they'll probably come in and are preparing. You don't. I know who my money is on to have sounder judgement.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Amex has far too many rules in place. Maybe it’s the high incidence of Covid in the area at the moment? But your comparison is stark. At some point we are going to have to accept we need to get on with normal life.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Overlooked that although Burnley have upgraded their wooden seats in the away end to plastic seats, there is still insufficient leg room for anyone who is an inch or more taller than Maty Ryan, and the Amex seats and leg room are far superior.
As I didn't sit down I didn't really notice but you're probably right it had a West Stand at the Goldstone feel to it.

**** off and support Burnley if you like it so much. Does your description of 'good atmosphere' include barely disguised racism towards our players and booing of an anti-racist gesture?

It's a Brexit heartland. You'd fit right in.
How very pleasant. I do like the old school feel of the place to a certain extent. But not sure that had anything to do with Brexit? I moved on from that debate several years ago, maybe you should?

What a prick
Well quite.

And I agree with their approach.

Where did that come from? :eek:
I suspect I must have said something to offend him at some point. Irrelevant though that may be to this thread.

The Amex has far too many rules in place. Maybe it’s the high incidence of Covid in the area at the moment? But your comparison is stark. At some point we are going to have to accept we need to get on with normal life.
I don't know. I agree with what they have done on Covid but I guess some of the other things (although minor) build in to mean that when you add them it seems like more of a ballache to go to football than it should do. Most of that is down to location though, other than bottle tops and flasks! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Comparing Burnley and Brighton is a bit like comparing Fyodor Dostoyevsky seminal work Crime and Punishment with...

... a packet of Scampi Fries.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Covid passports aren’t hugely divisive though. Small number of Piers Corbyn types hate them and everyone else just shrugs their shoulders and gets on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Covid passports aren’t hugely divisive though. Small number of Piers Corbyn types hate them and everyone else just shrugs their shoulders and gets on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or more commonly known as:-

Being English.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
From bottle tops to passing tickets to discouraging ST cards I think Albion are over the top. However still nothing can beat watching Albion at Amex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why compare to just Burnley.
Old Trafford (a few years ago). Horrendous traffic jams, but coach park within grounds. Surrounded by tourists. Scarf sellers everywhere. No bags permitted. Search prior to entering. Squeeze through old turnstiles. Squeeze on to the smallest seat in the country. No atmosphere from home tourists. Lose. Horrendous traffic out of Manchester (do no Man U fans live in Manchester). Heavy snow on all motorways with M23 closed. Driver gets lost. Home some time the next morning.
Wouldn't change a thing.
As for masks, Covid precautions and security. It is my aim to attend the last game this season. I'll wear my mask, put up with a search and use the hand gel.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Old Trafford (a few years ago). Horrendous traffic jams, but coach park within grounds. Surrounded by tourists. Scarf sellers everywhere. No bags permitted. Search prior to entering. Squeeze through old turnstiles. Squeeze on to the smallest seat in the country. No atmosphere from home tourists. Lose. Horrendous traffic out of Manchester (do no Man U fans live in Manchester). Heavy snow on all motorways with M23 closed. Driver gets lost. Home some time the next morning.
Wouldn't change a thing.
As for masks, Covid precautions and security. It is my aim to attend the last game this season. I'll wear my mask, put up with a search and use the hand gel.

Must have been at the same match a couple of years ago. Snow all the way!!!. Not my favourite away day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wouldn't change a thing.

You forgot to include the worst concourse (well, probably equally worst with Anfield)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here