Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Burnley matchday experience v likely AMEX matchday experience for Watford

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why compare to just Burnley.
Old Trafford (a few years ago). Horrendous traffic jams, but coach park within grounds. Surrounded by tourists. Scarf sellers everywhere. No bags permitted. Search prior to entering. Squeeze through old turnstiles. Squeeze on to the smallest seat in the country. No atmosphere from home tourists. Lose. Horrendous traffic out of Manchester (do no Man U fans live in Manchester). Heavy snow on all motorways with M23 closed. Driver gets lost. Home some time the next morning.
Wouldn't change a thing.
As for masks, Covid precautions and security. It is my aim to attend the last game this season. I'll wear my mask, put up with a search and use the hand gel.

Its not particularly surprising that the traffic is horrendous when you've got 73,000 people travelling to and from a stadium.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wolves is dire too when we have the seats that run along the length of the pitch.

I thought Wolves ground was pretty good, the concourse in the away stand that you mentioned was fine when I went there.
I honestly can’t think of another away stand I have watched the Albion from the half way line.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Covid passports aren’t hugely divisive though. Small number of Piers Corbyn types hate them and everyone else just shrugs their shoulders and gets on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's the case this will be approved by Parliament

Kier Starmer is against them I don't think he is a Piers Starmer supporter

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I thought Wolves ground was pretty good, the concourse in the away stand that you mentioned was fine when I went there.
I honestly can’t think of another away stand I have watched the Albion from the half way line.

Just following on the theme of crappy concourses. Just remember it being narrow and cramped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Couldn't pay me enough to watch what passes for football at Burnley every week. Give me an overpriced pie and pint over that any day.

Predictably, all of Burnley’s attacking match highlights were in our 6 yard box, other than a free-kick from 20 yards which Sanchez calmly watched miss by miles.

By complete contrast, there were two great team goals from open play, involving vision, guile, passing and pace ….. scored at the other end.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just following on the theme of crappy concourses. Just remember it being narrow and cramped.

I thought the opposite about the concourse, maybe one end was narrow and cramped.
I came into the stand in the middle and went right, the concourse towards the big new stand behind the goal had plenty of room and very good service at the bar/kiosk.
This was the game we won 2-0 just before promotion to the PL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought the opposite about the concourse, maybe one end was narrow and cramped.
I came into the stand in the middle and went right, the concourse towards the big new stand behind the goal had plenty of room and very good service at the bar/kiosk.
This was the game we won 2-0 just before promotion to the PL.

We were there, same game, in the middle. Funny about different perspectives.

I’m guessing that your gallon of ale and the result is giving you rose-tinted memories :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burnley
Took forever to get there. They really need to move it closer.
Was able to park for free within 10 minutes walk of stadium.
No covid checks needed or required. No facemasks worn.
Through turnstile in a matter of seconds. No body search.
Bought drink and bottle lid was allowed to be kept on.
Cheap but ugly looking food.
Decent enough view provided you moved more centrally to avoid the pillar that was otherwise slightly blocking the penalty area.
VAR didn't poke it's ugly nose in.
Good atmosphere but mostly generated by the split home and away support.
Long drive home. They really need to move it closer.
Note, could have easily passed ticket to someone else if couldn't go (for nothing).
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Shouldn't take long to get there, but will trains and car parking cope. New mobile ticket for parking might mean long queues at parking. Lack of parking may mean more people getting train?
Covid check point.
Ticket checkpoint and activation? Bag check, body search.
Turnstile and in.
Fans must wear a face covering at all times when moving around inside the stadium.
Expensive but decent food and drink, no bottle tops allowed, and don't dare bring a flask.
VAR hopefully won't poke it's ugly nose in.
Atmosphere - hopefully good, probably depends on how the team is performing. But generous view and position given to away support will probably help them more.
Home trip, likely big queues for trains, difficulty getting out of Bridge Car Park, easier from Uni I suspect.
Cost £42 minimum, but includes train travel if you are reasonably local.

Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach. I'll prepare to be flamed though but if you're a floating fan, you can see why we are not selling out our first home game with fans for a long time. :eek:

You’ve only covered the ‘incidentals’, not the actual football. If you’re more worried about the ‘matchday experience’ and want to go and watch that bunch of cloggers every week and save a few quid and a teeny bit of inconvenience, you crack on. They obviously have plenty of ST seats available judging by the number of empty (yet cheap) seats.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Burnley
Decent enough view provided you moved more centrally to avoid the pillar that was otherwise slightly blocking the penalty area.
Note, could have easily passed ticket to someone else if couldn't go (for nothing).
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Shouldn't take long to get there, but will trains and car parking cope. New mobile ticket for parking might mean long queues at parking. Lack of parking may mean more people getting train?
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.
Fans must wear a face covering at all times when moving around inside the stadium.
Expensive but decent food and drink, no bottle tops allowed, and don't dare bring a flask.
Atmosphere - hopefully good, probably depends on how the team is performing. But generous view and position given to away support will probably help them more.
Home trip, likely big queues for trains, difficulty getting out of Bridge Car Park, easier from Uni I suspect.

Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach. I'll prepare to be flamed though but if you're a floating fan, you can see why we are not selling out our first home game with fans for a long time. :eek:

Less likely to catch Covid, racist booing, must be a few more ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We were there, same game, in the middle. Funny about different perspectives.

I’m guessing that your gallon of ale and the result is giving you rose-tinted memories :lolol:

I really hate a cramped concourse so I would have remembered.
My seat was in the middle but I went down towards one end of the concourse before the match, didn’t seem that busy and definitely wasn’t narrow.
I did notice more Albion fans up the other end of the concourse when I went to find the entrance to the seats.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Burnley
Cost £30 plus travel
OUTSIDE TOILET :)
AMEX for Watford game
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.
INSIDE TOILETS with hot and cold water :)

Slight edit :moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really hate a cramped concourse so I would have remembered.
My seat was in the middle but I went down towards one end of the concourse before the match, didn’t seem that busy and definitely wasn’t narrow.
I did notice more Albion fans up the other end of the concourse when I went to find the entrance to the seats.

We were back row in the middle, in front of the executive boxes, where were you?

That was a brilliant day out. We only went because someone in my son’s school year and his Dad decided it wasn’t a key game so couldn’t be arsed and sold us their tickets. They regretted it btw. After a nervy first half, Muzza and Knockaert took them apart, it could’ve been 5-0. Then we avoided all jams and busy motorways by having a celebratory meal in a lovely little Italian restaurant in the city centre. A relaxed drive on a quiet M40 later on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We were back row in the middle, in front of the executive boxes, where were you?

That was a brilliant day out. We only went because someone in my son’s school year and his Dad decided it wasn’t a key game so couldn’t be arsed and sold us their tickets. They regretted it btw. After a nervy first half, Muzza and Knockaert took them apart, it could’ve been 5-0. Then we avoided all jams and busy motorways by having a celebratory meal in a lovely little Italian restaurant in the city centre. A relaxed drive on a quiet M40 later on.

I have got a photo saved somewhere, it’s the scoreboard at full time.
I’m sure I was near the middle of the stand and about 4 rows from the back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have got a photo saved somewhere, it’s the scoreboard at full time.
I’m sure I was near the middle of the stand and about 4 rows from the back.

A load of 25 year olds, double the number of total fans intended for the row, kind of tried to take our seats. Apparently common at away games, I rarely go away these days. So we all stood like sardines for the game.

This also happens at the back of the NS by the scoreboard, smashed mates meeting up, it can get a bit silly.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Burnley
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.

Away tix are capped at £30 aren't they?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A load of 25 year olds, double the number of total fans intended for the row, kind of tried to take our seats. Apparently common at away games, I rarely go away these days. So we all stood like sardines for the game.

This also happens at the back of the NS by the scoreboard, smashed mates meeting up, it can get a bit silly.

I definitely didn’t see anything like that at Wolves in our row.

I haven’t really done as many away games in the PL, I went to loads in the lower leagues, I don’t enjoy travelling these days, and stick to non league if the Albion are away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here