Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Burnley matchday experience v likely AMEX matchday experience for Watford

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
That is not true. It has to be passed in Parliament.

At the moment that looks unlikely due to Covid passports being hugely divisive, although they seem extremely popular on NSC for some unfathomable reason

I expect COVID passports are popular because if you are going to mix with a crowd of 30,000 it would be reassuring to know that everyone has had the common sense and curtesy to get vaccinated. Simple really.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
But isn't "wear a mask if you like" effectively the advice from HMG based on the science? Could it be argued that the club imposing mask wearing suggests that the club knows better than HMG when it comes to the wearing of masks?

It is a matter of personal choice surely? Sometimes I wear a mask. Mostly I don't. I've not encountered any shop, bar/restaurant (bar one cafe!!) or public transport where I've been commanded to wear a mask...........except the Amex!

The club's premises = the clubs rules. They've just got their paying customers back and don't want to jeopardise things for the future. And frankly if people don't know by now that mask wearing is bloody sensible if you want to reduce your chances of catching COVID (which can be nasty even if double jabbed) then it's not worth trying to explain it all to them again...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The club's premises = the clubs rules. They've just got their paying customers back and don't want to jeopardise things for the future. And frankly if people don't know by now that mask wearing is bloody sensible if you want to reduce your chances of catching COVID (which can be nasty even if double jabbed) then it's not worth trying to explain it all to them again...
I don't think it's that we don't know that mask wearing reduces your chances of catching covid. Any more than we didn't know that mask wearing reduces your chances of catching flu, or that not driving to Cornwall reduces your chances of having an accident. It's a matter of what is worth the risk and what is not, for the benefit you get from it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But isn't "wear a mask if you like" effectively the advice from HMG based on the science? Could it be argued that the club imposing mask wearing suggests that the club knows better than HMG when it comes to the wearing of masks?

It is a matter of personal choice surely? Sometimes I wear a mask. Mostly I don't. I've not encountered any shop, bar/restaurant (bar one cafe!!) or public transport where I've been commanded to wear a mask...........except the Amex!

Yes, it’s a matter of personal choice and it is the club’s personal choice that fans wear a mask. Nobody is forcing you to go to the game so nobody is forcing you to wear a mask. There is absolutely no reason why the club should copy bars and cafes if they have a different opinion on the matter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, it’s a matter of personal choice and it is the club’s personal choice that fans wear a mask. Nobody is forcing you to go to the game so nobody is forcing you to wear a mask. There is absolutely I reason why the club should copy bars and cafes if they have a different opinion on the matter.

You are correct ..also I dont
think the club will force you either

Sitting in seat …we don’t have to anyway ..someone wants to then that’s their choice.

Majority(?) of people on concourse at HT eating and or drinking ..no mask ..probably the most risky place

Loos…masks probably beneficial anyway ..not the most pleasant place

For Getafe I arrived bang on ko ..forgot all about mask until I got to seat..wasn’t challenged ..still concourse was empty ..ht I was Billy no mates so stayed in my seat area .full time stayed to clap players off ..waited a bit …left no mask as very few people left :shrug:

Anticipating Saturday may be different…but I’m going to enjoy it ..I don’t think the rules/guidance is going to prevent that

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You are correct ..also I dont
think the club will force you either

Well, they say they will. Most people are pretty decent and will comply themselves. The boorish minority will behave without consideration and it will be best efforts to avoid them, as it always has been. I’m looking forward to catching up with family I haven’t seen for a long time and seeing some football of course.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A reminder that the club argue that aside from ensuring that football continues with full stadiums - the rules are in place - to help protect their young staff (some of whom won't be fully vaccinated) who have no or little choice when it comes to who they come into contact with.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
One of the attractions of following a team around the country is the variety of experiences. You can go to Billion pound stadiums like Tottenham, old school marquee names like Villa Park or the more rough and tumble Burnley within a season.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Last time I went to Huddersfield the bar for the away end was outside at the top of the stand I think. It was a while ago though.

Last time I went to Huddersfield it was at Leeds Road!

Seem to remember it being really snowly (early to mid 90's?) and getting coins chucked at us from the home support. The only time I've been to a football match and come away from the ground with more money than I went in with. I think it was a draw if I remember rightly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A reminder that the club argue that aside from ensuring that football continues with full stadiums - the rules are in place - to help protect their young staff (some of whom won't be fully vaccinated) who have no or little choice when it comes to who they come into contact with.

Fair enough point.

However, when we get to October if Boris really does insist on a double vaccination passport being shown instead of the option of negative LFT, surely that goes for everyone aged over 18 in the Amex and its perimeter, including all staff, players (maybe, suppose there could be exceptions in the red zone for those tested regularly), media and fans. It would be weird if they insist on it for fans sat outside but not someone stuck on a concourse selling burgers. However, surely that would mean a change to staff terms and conditions?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fair enough point.

However, when we get to October if Boris really does insist on a double vaccination passport being shown instead of the option of negative LFT, surely that goes for everyone aged over 18 in the Amex and its perimeter, including all staff, players (maybe, suppose there could be exceptions in the red zone for those tested regularly), media and fans. It would be weird if they insist on it for fans sat outside but not someone stuck on a concourse selling burgers. However, surely that would mean a change to staff terms and conditions?

Aren’t they temps on agency contracts ? Doubt it would be a problem.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair enough point.

The point for a lot of young staff and young Albion fans and also my sons is that given you have to have a 8 week wait between jabs then many won't be fully vaxxed yet even if they want to be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The point for a lot of young staff and young Albion fans and also my sons is that given you have to have a 8 week wait between jabs then many won't be fully vaxxed yet even if they want to be.

Totally get that concern which is why the mandatory vaccination thing won't be before October and why people should be as responsible as possible tomorrow.

It's a valid question though, I don't see the point in demanding fans vaccination status after October if we have unvaccinated players, stewards and bar staff.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agreed and it won't be long now but we're not quite there.

No we are not.
It's teenagers that are the problem, unjabbed and no masks.
My daughter tested positive yesterday, my friends daughter also tested positive after going to Boardmasters in Newquay, where a group of 30 friends went, 20 caught covid so potentially 2/3 of those that went have Covid and Newquay was packed anyway.
So me and Mrs Chopper went to get a test today even though we are double jabbed and negative on the lateral flow as she is high risk.
And people are moaning about wearing a mask and distancing at The Amex.
As soon as kids aged 12 and above are jabbed the better and then we can lead some sort of normal life, it is crazy that events, indoors or out where unjabbed teenagers and 20's are the vast majority, are allowed is crazy.
The Covid restrictions alone at The Amex makes it a better experience than Burnley, its only a mask and being sensible FFS at least we are now allowed in to watch live football, yet that is not good enough for some.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No we are not.
It's teenagers that are the problem, unjabbed and no masks.
My daughter tested positive yesterday, my friends daughter also tested positive after going to Boardmasters in Newquay, where a group of 30 friends went, 20 caught covid so potentially 2/3 of those that went have Covid and Newquay was packed anyway.
So me and Mrs Chopper went to get a test today even though we are double jabbed and negative on the lateral flow as she is high risk.
And people are moaning about wearing a mask and distancing at The Amex.
As soon as kids aged 12 and above are jabbed the better and then we can lead some sort of normal life, it is crazy that events, indoors or out where unjabbed teenagers and 20's are the vast majority, are allowed is crazy.
The Covid restrictions alone at The Amex makes it a better experience than Burnley, its only a mask and being sensible FFS at least we are now allowed in to watch live football, yet that is not good enough for some.

You’re not understanding that their human rights are being trampled upon. They are being discriminated against in the same manner as women in Afghanistan or black slaves in America. Show some empathy man.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've been away from home this week so away from the news a bit, but I was just reading about Boardmasters.

The infection rate from that event seems to be astoundingly high.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Burnley was that good they would have got more than 17,000 in a 22,000 seater ground for the first game back.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Interesting thread. Thanks for sticking your neck out.
I am more than happy with the precautions being taken by the Albion.
If there were to be a major COVID outbreak traced back to the Amex we would be forced back to the restrictions of last season.
No doubt the macho ‘I am too hard to ware a mask’ attitude is common in Burnley and the rest of the northwesk where COVID numbers have been so high.
As Albion supporters we should show solidarity with each other and try to make as many of our fellow fans as possible comfortable about returning to the Amex. Let’s set an example, take precautions against COVID, support the players taking the knee and sing our hearts out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here