Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brutal Truth...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I write this as a supporter of Dean Wilkins.

Right now the Albion are little more than a collection of kids who, in footballing terms, are still in nappies, and has-beens who are well past their sell-by date.

Wilkins needs to find his starting XI and formation AND STICK TO IT. My take is as follows:

Goalkeeper: Either start Henderson when available or sell him at the first opportunity. He is one of our few cashable assets.

Full-backs: Never start Mayo or Hart. Play Whing, and if we can't get him long-term stick El-Abd at right-back. We need a left-back desperately - I'd go back to Millwall and sign Bagayoko, he impressed me pre-season. Rents still too raw.

Centre-backs: Lynch and Hinsh all the way. Butters only in an emergency.

Midfield: Play 3 across the middle with Cox in the hole behind the front two. Get rid of Frutos - he hasn't got the stomach for a fight, poor goal return.

Attack: Play Revell in his proper position of centre-forward, slightly right with Jakey slightly left and Cox bursting through. Sam Williams doesn't look up to it to me - he doesn't have the workrate and doesn't win enough headers.

My team (4-3-1-2)

1. Henderson
2. Whing
3. El-Abd
4. Lynch
5. Hinsh
6. Carpenter
7. Hammond
8. Hart
9. Revell
10.Robinson
11.Cox.

The key to the season is getting Hammond back to his best and getting Carpenter fit and on song.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
leaky defence and not enough goals , Cant see too much changing with that,

We need more loans + a few old experienced heads to improve

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With a decent left-back and forward I think we'll be OK - El Abd and Robinson's places in my team are most at risk.

What the f*** has happened to the Hammond of Spring 2005??

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry, Pav. I find parts of that line-up fundamentally flawed.

That centre-half pairing is a comedy pairing, and Carpenter is finished. And Hammond withouy Chippy is a FAR better prospect - he had a couple of decent games as skipper in Chippy's absence.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
TLO, Butters and El-Abd is a comedy centre-half pairing.

We need to stop shipping goals and our best chance is getting Hinsh and Lynch together.

I agree there is a question mark over Carpenter but there is no one else at the club who can dictate play in the middle of the park. He should still be able to handle League 1 provided the team around him is settled and he can establish some understanding with them.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The brutal truth is that you are on a downward spiral. Players don't want to play for you no matter how much you pay them (and you can't pay them that much) and you've lost your best players. What you can do is build a team with what you've got. IMO the worst thing you can do is get more loan signings. You need the players you have to gel and become a team which ismor than the sum of it parts.

You may well get worse before you can get better, but I for one don't think you will go down, but you'll be bottom half. Maybe by next season you'll have the Falmer go ahead, which makes you a much more attractive club that is "on the up" which is when players will start to want to play for you again.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
hinsh and lynch is the best pairing we have - hinsh is by far away away the best defender at the club, and if he can rediscover the form that saw him get an under 21 call up then we will be doing quite well

lynch has shown what he can do at centre back, hes the one to win the headers in the butters role, with hinshlewood sweeping round behind

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the experienced players aren't performing and the kids are making basic mistakes you have to get loan signings in to bridge the gap.

By Christmas I'm sure that the kids will be playing consistently better, but they need direction from players who can still do it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
The only way to improve things is simple, what did Mickey Adams do ?
Got rid of all the dross and youngsters and bought in TRIED and TRUSTED players to do the job which they did.

The voice of reason.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
The voice of reason.

treason ?

If these tries and trusted players were available for our budget - MsGhee would have got them in. I don't believe they are there - and the danger is we get a bunch of has-beens and never-was crocks.

If that makes sense.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Well,I am not a believer in Dean Wilkins,I'm afraid.Probably a decent bloke,a good servant as player and youth coach,but just does not carry the kudos of a proper manager.

Have to say ,and I did at the time,that the vocal minority cost us a manager at Bristol City,and thats my view whether you like it or not.

Now we are left with a nice bloke.But clueless.And a youth team he sadly believes can keep us up,and laughably,be challenging for the top of the Championship in five years.

It's obviously not pints of whisky he's drinking,but he must be on something.

Get some hurry up,board.We have been here a couple of times quite recently,giving internal candidates a chance.

Quick,do something.Get a proper manager,a tried and tested one,one who does not look like a rabbit caught in the headlights.One who will know where to get plain ,old fashioned,tough lower league players,not someone who picks up discarded youth to augment our fresh-faced but out -of -depth youngsters.

Go on.Do it now.You are being self delusional if you do not think it makes sense.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Dick Knights Mum said:
treason ?

If these tries and trusted players were available for our budget - MsGhee would have got them in. I don't believe they are there - and the danger is we get a bunch of has-beens and never-was crocks.

If that makes sense.

Mickey Adams knew exactly what was required and who was able to do the job and we need the same now.
Unfortunately kids and Dean Wilkins is not the answer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
TLO, Butters and El-Abd is a comedy centre-half pairing.
I agree. I've probably mis-read your line-up, as I saw it as Lynch and El-Abd together. A new right-back was not really our first priority - there are far more urgent places requiring strengthening. I want to see El-Abd at right back where I think he is usually pretty effective.

I would prefer Lynch and Butters as centre-half pairing for now, with Hinshelwood taking over soon from Butters. Lynch could learn so much more from Butters than from Hinshelwood at present, if only because of his experience. For now, I would be quite happy to play Hinshelwood alongside Hammond in the centre of midfield, with Hinsh doing Chippy's job.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Well,I am not a believer in Dean Wilkins,I'm afraid.Probably a decent bloke,a good servant as player and youth coach,but just does not carry the kudos of a proper manager.

Have to say ,and I did at the time,that the vocal minority cost us a manager at Bristol City,and thats my view whether you like it or not.

Now we are left with a nice bloke.But clueless.And a youth team he sadly believes can keep us up,and laughably,be challenging for the top of the Championship in five years.

It's obviously not pints of whisky he's drinking,but he must be on something.

Get some hurry up,board.We have been here a couple of times quite recently,giving internal candidates a chance.

Quick,do something.Get a proper manager,a tried and tested one,one who does not look like a rabbit caught in the headlights.One who will know where to get plain ,old fashioned,tough lower league players,not someone who picks up discarded youth to augment our fresh-faced but out -of -depth youngsters.

Go on.Do it now.You are being self delusional if you do not think it makes sense "

NAIL HEAD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here