Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brutal Truth...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
withdeanwombat said:
Well,I am not a believer in Dean Wilkins,I'm afraid.Probably a decent bloke,a good servant as player and youth coach,but just does not carry the kudos of a proper manager.

Have to say ,and I did at the time,that the vocal minority cost us a manager at Bristol City,and thats my view whether you like it or not.

Now we are left with a nice bloke.But clueless.And a youth team he sadly believes can keep us up,and laughably,be challenging for the top of the Championship in five years.

It's obviously not pints of whisky he's drinking,but he must be on something.

Get some hurry up,board.We have been here a couple of times quite recently,giving internal candidates a chance.

Quick,do something.Get a proper manager,a tried and tested one,one who does not look like a rabbit caught in the headlights.One who will know where to get plain ,old fashioned,tough lower league players,not someone who picks up discarded youth to augment our fresh-faced but out -of -depth youngsters.

Go on.Do it now.You are being self delusional if you do not think it makes sense.

I think i have just read one of the most sensible posts ever on NSC

I just hope we are wrong and Dean Wilkins becomes the Best Young manager around............but i just cannot see it. The club spiralling downwards was enough to finish off a battle hardened campainer in Mark McGee let alone a fresh faced virginal Dean Wilkins, I fear for him big time, he was an excelent youth coach but he does look like a rabbit caught in the headlights and if he is not made of stronger stuff than most his management career could be short lived!! Never critised Sir Dick before but thougt he panicked when the fans turned against MM and with very little to attract a big name manager to the Albion turned to the promising Deano. Trouble is if the change was needed the conditions were not right for Wilkins to take the reigns, he is on a hiding to nothing! I just cant see him being the right man to turn this farce around........................We must support him though!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Gullsworth said:

Never critised Sir Dick before but thougt he panicked when the fans turned against MM and with very little to attract a big name manager to the Albion turned to the promising Deano. Trouble is if the change was needed the conditions were not right for Wilkins to take the reigns, he is on a hiding to nothing! I just cant see him being the right man to turn this farce around........................We must support him though!

A couple things, firstly exactly how much of a say did the Blooms have in MM's departure and DW appointment. My understanding is that they wanted DW as manager at the beginning of the season. DK may have pulled the trigger but I expect the Blooms loaded the gun and aimed it at MM. The baying for MMs blood by certain parts of the crowd and the usual suspects on here just made the decision easier.

Secondly, what pisses me off is that before you sack someone you need to have a replacement lined up and I'm sure that DW wouldn't have been the choice in an ideal world. This is also the case for those that want DK out. Unless you have a couple of million quid spare or know someone that does then crying for his head is a total waste of time.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Deportivo Seagull said:
A couple things, firstly exactly how much of a say did the Blooms have in MM's departure and DW appointment. My understanding is that they wanted DW as manager at the beginning of the season. DK may have pulled the trigger but I expect the Blooms loaded the gun and aimed it at MM. The baying for MMs blood by certain parts of the crowd and the usual suspects on here just made the decision easier.

Secondly, what pisses me off is that before you sack someone you need to have a replacement lined up and I'm sure that DW wouldn't have been the choice in an ideal world. This is also the case for those that want DK out. Unless you have a couple of million quid spare or know someone that does then crying for his head is a total waste of time.

You could well be right, and i think there lies the problem The club is not in an ideal world, maybe though hanging on to MM and aiming for mid-table security would have been a safer bet than the shark infested waters of a change of managment ( a rookie one at that) and stareing relegation in the face. Just feel the timing was all wrong but have to admit DK's hands were probably tied over one or more of these issues!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
In my opinion for what it may be worth is that what people have already said is the formation is wrong! i feel we need to play a 5-3-2 with butters lynch hinsh/el abd back three with new lad at right back and rents on the left! butters for me will give the experince and detrmination that the back line needs!

in the middle i think mayo did well today much better than when he was at left back but still left hammond doing alot of running but if we had a three of cox hammond and mayo i think it would have the balance that is needed!

The front two for me it would have to be revell and hart, hart is possible one of the only players who has shown any passion for the club this season and im not a big gary hart fan but i think he is what is needed, williams looks nothing special and just looks non intrested most of the game and robinson just doesnt do it from the start! but a nice sub to have to come on and run at the defence!

also i think butters should be captin if given a run in the team as he is possible the only leader we have hammond is defently not a leader and chippy is well hmmm questionably to say the least!

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Fragmented Badger said:
But, why oh why have we signed a RIGHT-BACK?

I think since Reid went out, we have always been weaker at right back as we only have one player who can really play there, and thats El-Abd. Gary Hart is a midfielder! Rents could handle left back, giving Mayo the occasional game if absolutely needed.

I hope we get Whing permanently, looked a great fit.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
We have to stop leaking the goals firstly. If we'd picked up a couple of 0-0's it wouldn't be such panic stations.

We need a striker badly, I'd stick Robinson upfront with Revell and Hart pushing in behind or on the wing.

Hinshelwood & Lynch at the back with Whing and El Abd out wide. El Abd is not a very strong centre half and is out muscled too easily for a well built guy (Watch the goals again from Saturday).

Midfield is a problem; Carpenter is not playing as well as he can, Hammond is looking worried and lost at the moment, don't know why, he can play much better.

For me Hart should always start, he gets stuck in and battles and that is contagious. Revell is getting better, just needs someone to either help him out or start becoming a poucher - staying pushed right up the field - How many corners when we are defending do we have no one pushed up on their half way line awaiting a quick counter attack? ? ? ? NEVER! Wrong tactics, defence is the best form of attack. So leave Hart or Revell or Jake on the Centre circle waiting on his heals.

So for me...

Henderson (Normally Kuipers but he lost his chance to keep the shirt on Saturday so back it goes)

Whing
Lynch
Hinshelwood
El Abd

Carpenter
Hammond
Hart

Cox
Revell
Robinson

Getting them to play is another matter!

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
el abd at left back rents would do a much better job! and the 3 in the middle hammonds the only one who could run for the full 90 whats harty going to do in a 3????

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
How anyone can even consider playing El Abd ANYWHERE in the team at the moment beggars belief.

For what it's worth I would play:

Henderson

RB - Whing - this guy is actaully a very good right back - give him a chance,

LB - Rents - thought he did OK against Chesterfield, harsh to be dropped.

CBs - Hinch and Lynch

RM - Hart

CM - Hammond and Fraser

Cox - let him play behind the front 2, left/right - anywhere - make the oposition think about him

Upfront - Ravell and Robinson

Subs

Butters - almost put him in at CB, with Lynch at LB

Gatting

Mayo

Kuipers

Williams - as were paying his wages he should at least be on the bench but frankly I think he's hopless.

Carpenter and El Abd need to have a few games out

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
How anyone can even consider playing El Abd ANYWHERE in the team at the moment beggars belief.

For what it's worth I would play:

Henderson

RB - Whing - this guy is actaully a very good right back - give him a chance,

LB - Rents - thought he did OK against Chesterfield, harsh to be dropped.

CBs - Hinch and Lynch

RM - Hart

CM - Hammond and Fraser

Cox - let him play behind the front 2, left/right - anywhere - make the oposition think about him

Upfront - Ravell and Robinson

Subs

Butters - almost put him in at CB, with Lynch at LB

Gatting

Mayo

Kuipers

Williams - as were paying his wages he should at least be on the bench but frankly I think he's hopless.

Carpenter and El Abd need to have a few games out

Wow! This is one of those fairly rare NSC threads where there are some sensible and well thought out comments from people who actually care about the club we support.

And for what it's worth I think the line-up above could be the best we can manage right now, but would maybe put Mayo in midfield for Fraser.

I do beleive that one thing Wilkins needs to do is stick with the same team for a few games whatever the results.

For me, it's getting the blend of kids and experience right.

I would play:

GK Henderson

RB - Whing (El Abd when Whing goes back)
CB - Hinsh
CB - Butters
LB - Lynch

CM - Hart
DCM - Mayo
CM - Hammond

ACM - Cox
CF - Revell
CF - Robinson

Subs:
Kuipers
Fraser/Carpenter
Williams/Gatting
Rents/El Abd
Loft/Frutos

Mayo is capable of sitting in front of the back 4 and playing the ball out. Not spraying 60 yard passes, but quick passes to players in front of him. Butters will give the back 4 much needed experience. Both Hinsh and Lynch can learn so much from him, and both need him talking to them during the game, Lynch especially.

Cox should play in the hole, getting forward to support Revell and Robinson. Revell causes so many problems in the air and with his workrate and could be a great foil to Robinson. Hart and Hammond in midfield simply because of their workrate and their willingness to get back and help out. Both Lynch and Whing can get forward when appropriate.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
still think lynch is better in the middle! and should have a back 3 of hinsh/el abd butters and lynch with wing backs of rents and whing

I think Lynch will be a good centre half but at the moment he makes too many mistakes. He's looked fantastic when he's had Butters alongside him, and I think at the moment it would be a winner to have him on the left.

I know what you mean about 3 at the back, but I'm worried that it would be a change too far for the team. It's not a formation they're used to and I'm not sure that we can afford to go into games unprepared.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
I think Lynch will be a good centre half but at the moment he makes too many mistakes. He's looked fantastic when he's had Butters alongside him, and I think at the moment it would be a winner to have him on the left.

I know what you mean about 3 at the back, but I'm worried that it would be a change too far for the team. It's not a formation they're used to and I'm not sure that we can afford to go into games unprepared.

fair point but i think it could be a gamble we could take would def sturdy up the defence as i 4t butters looked very good in waht was a poor game lack of pace at times but with lynch and hinsh sweeping here be a god once again! neway what happend to santos in all this! :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The cause of our problem at the moment is that DW is trying to find a formation to accomodate the players that he has rather than set the formation and then fit the players into it.

For us any formation other than 4 - 4 - 2 is suicidal. We are not good enough to stop conceding goals with 3 at the back nor scoring enough with 3 up front.

As Cloughie always said you must have a spine of 4 players and then build around that Goalkeeper central Defender, central midfield and central striker.
We have one acceptable goal keeper with either Kuipers or Henderson and possibly a central defender in Butters or Lynch(who I prefer at full back) The rest we need to get or convert Hinsh to central midfield.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here