Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brighton/Palace rivalry

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Prior to that friendly,the last League match between Brighton and Palace was on 12th Jan 1962, at The Goldstone, which ended in a 2-1 win for the scum.

yes,their last ever win in the league at the Goldstone

anyone remember turning Malcolm MacDonald's car over?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I'm not sure why you've brought Malcolm MacDonald into a thread about Brighton/Palace rivalry, but I remember the incident with his car outside Luton's ground(1969/70 season?)
We had a few run-ins with Luton in the late 60's /early 70's, their Oak Road end was a bit tasty.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London

I remember that I was a really young lad at that match. I was also at Bournemouth in 1972,.

Thing is I feel theres an element of glorifying the past. Amongst all those involved were lot of cowards and there was a lot of picking on innocents.

Its not always been a big thing between Brighton and Palace. I was at East Croydon after we'd beaten Wimbledon in a league cup tie (I think, 2002(?)), when Wimbledon were in one or poss 2(?) divs above us. I was heading north wearing my colours and on an Albion high reading my programme when a train pulled in, I didn't look up and was oblivious until they all started chanting Palace stuff.

There were loads of them and I didn't even register with them they didn't know bout us. that wouldn't be the case now..

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'm not sure why you've brought Malcolm MacDonald into a thread about Brighton/Palace rivalry, but I remember the incident with his car outside Luton's ground(1969/70 season?)
We had a few run-ins with Luton in the late 60's /early 70's, their Oak Road end was a bit tasty.

yeah,highway61 brought it up on the first page,should of replied with quote

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Prior to that friendly,the last League match between Brighton and Palace was on 12th Jan 1962, at The Goldstone, which ended in a 2-1 win for the scum.

Just looked it up, and that game you mention was 1963. Quite a lot of snowy pictures from that game were doing the rounds on NSC over the last month or so.

Of course, if there was any trouble at this match, such as an impromptu snowball fight, or if Albion fans kicked over the snowman that Palace fans had created, we could show that the rivalry predates the 1973 friendly.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
:ffsparr:
Just looked it up, and that game you mention was 1963. Quite a lot of snowy pictures from that game were doing the rounds on NSC over the last month or so.

Of course, if there was any trouble at this match, such as an impromptu snowball fight, or if Albion fans kicked over the snowman that Palace fans had created, we could show that the rivalry predates the 1973 friendly.

My mistake, it was 1963.
I was at the game, my first season of watching the Albion, you would think I could correctly remember the year:ffsparr:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
:ffsparr:

My mistake, it was 1963.
I was at the game, my first season of watching the Albion, you would think I could correctly remember the year:ffsparr:

As you were at that game, were there any signs of trouble? Palace fans giving you dirty looks to you pouring Bovril over a Glaziers' supporter - that sort of thing.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
As you were at that game, were there any signs of trouble? Palace fans giving you dirty looks to you pouring Bovril over a Glaziers' supporter - that sort of thing.

Sorry, I don't remember any "incidents".
Mind you, I was only 10 and I don't think I even knew where Crystal Palace came from.
Prior to 1973, our main rivals were teams we played on a regular basis, such as Luton, Gillingham, Bournemouth, Aldershot.
However none of those rivalries came close to igniting the sort of vitriol that existed between Brighton and Palace in the mid to late 70's.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
As you have already noted by my user name you will know by now that I am a Palace fan. Dont shoot me down yet.

I got asked last night by a bloke at work what this Palace v Brighton thing was all about as he could not understand it.
He was under the impression that it was not a derby and our rivalry should be Millwall.

Took some explaining but in the end it sunk in.
It is nothing to do with being next door to each other or even in the same county. Its a rivalry and not a derby.
A lot of your boys will understand.

A few months ago I came on this site and a lot was being said that it started in 76.
One of your lot said it didnt as it started in 74. Well the bloke who said it started in 74 was right.
One thing he did say was there were not loads of Palace in the Brighton end.
This was not the case as I was there along with hundreds of Palace fans.

Now back then I was 14 and this was to be my first away game to Brighton. Me and loads of mates who were mostly young skinheads boarded the train at East Croydon and were amazed to see the numbers of Palace fans heading down to the south coast. When we got off at Brighton there were Palace fans everywhere. There was trouble kicking off all over Brighton. Back then there was no have to have a ticket to get in at grounds and me and about 300 Palace fans were herded by OB into the Brighton end of the Goldstone as the away end was getting filled up pretty quickly. About 20 mins before kick off about 2 hundred of the Palace fans decided to join up with the rest of the Palace fans in the away end and went straight over the pitch that left about 100 or so Palace fans in with the Brighton fans in the home end. Lets make it quite clear we were not chased out of the Brighton end. It was just great fun running on the pitch. The hundred or so that stayed in your home end had quite a lively day.
When the game was over it was kicking off in the park and again at the station.
This was the begining of the rivalry. So the bloke that said it started in 74 was right.

Now over the years since then our rivalry has kept up and I look forward to hearing you loose games as I reckon you do the same with us.

40 Years on I dont want to kick any off your heads in as I would have liked in the late 70s. Had many a to do with your boys back then. Won some lost some.
Some of you lot who were around then and must be at least in their 40s and 50s now will understand.

I and some of your lot now have kids of our own and breed it into them about our rivalry. Hate Brighton. Hate Palace. But lets face it now its all bollocks. Most of the wanabee hooligans dont have a clue what they are chanting about and why.

Got to say. I saw a clip on you tube when 1 palace fan was taking a load of banter from quite a few Brighton fans in London. Fair play to your lot as it was only banter and with the wrong lot he could have taken a good kicking. I'd like to think if it was the other way around then the Brighton fan would get nothing but banter also.

So I will end it there and wish you the worst possible end to this and every future season. (You will understand):p

Nice stadium by the way.

WOW.......:rolleyes: SO GLAD YOU TOOK THE TIME TO TYPE THAT...........:rolleyes: REALLY......:thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh ..is it ...... ??? i thought the reference was towards what went on off the pitch rather than on it......hold on .....i'll read it again.......no , the world football is not mentioned once in that post.

now if you'll excuse me i'll just take one last dip in the pool before i go to bed.........gotta get up at 5.30.......surf's up innit.......:kiss::bigwave:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
oh ..is it ...... ??? i thought the reference was towards what went on off the pitch rather than on it......hold on .....i'll read it again.......no , the world football is not mentioned once in that post.

now if you'll excuse me i'll just take one last dip in the pool before i go to bed.........gotta get up at 5.30.......surf's up innit.......:kiss::bigwave:

Ahhh ripper mate! :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

If you could prove the rivalry started because the Albion fans knocked over the Palace fans' snowman then a large part of me would die with embarrassment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here