Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brighton Centre

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm old enough to remember it opening, I'm sure I saw Status Quo there in 1977. used to head there often to see all sorts of bands - Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, The Police, Clapton, The Who and one memorable evening, Hawkwind along with only about 150 others punters huddled round the front of the stage.

U sure Lizzy did the centre? I saw them twice at the dome where they were brilliantjust don't remember them doing elsewhere

Re the Centre my fav concert was Queen on a miserable Monday night

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I work at similar venue in Portsmouth, which basically has exactly same acts as the Brighton centre, as someone has already said for example the kaiser chiefs, Noah and the wale coming up, the kooks, chase and status and all I will say is, at least the Brighton Centre has air con! for Massive concerts or gigs the main hall becomes unbearable!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm old enough to remember it opening, I'm sure I saw Status Quo there in 1977. used to head there often to see all sorts of bands - Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, The Police, Clapton, The Who and one memorable evening, Hawkwind along with only about 150 others punters huddled round the front of the stage.

ah the days...didnt the hawkwind concert end as one of the speakers fell over ( or was that saxon) the memory hazes.....supertramp, genesis, Peter gabriel, duran Duran, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Adam Ant, Alice Cooper, 10cc, thin lizzy queen, dancing on ice, John barrowman, Kiri Te kanewa, Rod Stewart, The Faces, Nik Kershaw, Visage, .....aaah

...and the Jacksons ( with michael Jackson) Bob Marley and Bing Crosby - the last concerts either of them did before dying. Steel Pulse, Average White Band, Black Uhuru...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Haven't been there since Ricky Gervais was down there - and that was a while back! , used to go alot when they had great bands but I think my next visit is the Vaccines gig.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
i saw bryan adams last year and it was very good, i also saw avenged sevenfold and stone sour which was awesome

does anyone remember the plans of rebuilding the brighton centre

Sadly, like the King Alfred, West Pier/i360, and Ice Rink put on hold 'til f*** knows when.
That is why they have just spent £1m on a tart up.:glare:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Never been a favourite venue of mine. Much prefer The Dome. Has the feel of the School Hall about it. Just a bland square functional box with a stage at the end.

Dome all day long for me. Last gigs there include Sterophonics and Kasabian. At the Brighton Center it was Razorlight, Plan B and Paul Weller. The Dome was A MILLION times more enjoyable! Shame really

Edit: I did see the Prodigy there on their Poison Tour back in '94/95 and that was f***ing quality!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Two points, they can only put on what is available. If artists would rather be spots on the horizon at the O2, what can the Centre do? Secondly, refurbishments? it has just had one. When were you last there?

Oct 25, 2003
Two points, they can only put on what is available. If artists would rather be spots on the horizon at the O2, what can the Centre do? Secondly, refurbishments? it has just had one. When were you last there?

that was just a bit of turd polishing though really.....it (along with the building next to it) still looks AWFUL next to the magnificent grand

brighton's seafront should be filled with iconic buildings, not a grey lump of shit

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Given that the O2, NEC, festivals etc are the standard way to see top acts now, I would say the Centre is positively Cosy and a real gem. Over the years highlights include The Who, many Jam nights, The Stranglers (Arsenal at home in the cup. We all missed it to see the band but they were mega late on because they went to the game), the Piranhas, Police etc but the genuine highlight for me was the Boomtown Rats c. 1979. There is a photo of Geldof from thst night in one of the bars

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Many years ago Andy McLusky from OMD called it an Aircraft Hanger which was spot-on.

Now its a very tired Aircraft Hanger. The Dome is, on the other hand, a great venue now.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Until recently, I used to work at the Brighton centre. Believe it or not, it actually makes the council a few million pounds profit each year.
Yes, it's a turd, but a profitable turd

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
U sure Lizzy did the centre? I saw them twice at the dome where they were brilliantjust don't remember them doing elsewhere

Re the Centre my fav concert was Queen on a miserable Monday night

I'm sure although old enough not to remember everything too accurately! Sure it was the Gary Moore lineup and I recall him swinging a kick at a guitar tech who wasnt quick enough with a guitar change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here