Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Birmingham match is *ON* thread

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
We took around six hours to get up here today by car, leaving around 10am and arriving at 5pm, stopping en route. Took it really easy all the way, saw a few prangs and the odd idiot driving like a maniac, but motorways were fairly passable. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but we will be at St Andrew's at 9am for the inspection (pitch by ref, and other areas by safety officer), and will bring fans news live via Twitter, Facebook and the club website. The latest word from Birmingham tonight was that the pitch is likely to be playable, but it will be the safety of the surrounding areas and roads which will ultimately determine whether the game will be on. Snow has now stopped, but there is a fair amount of snow and slush about, and forecast suggests there may be more snow overnight.

@OfficialBHAFC for the latest news.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
A tough 1 to call to be fair to Birmingham city fc pitch will be fine unless undersoil breaks down!! But unless surrounding roads and pavements are cleared there is no chance of game going ahead!!

Have they confirmed at what time they will make a decision. Have only seen that statement saying it will be before coaches leave?

Edit. Insider has just answered

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Leicester game on tonight...not a million miles away

Been past Leicester as well this evening. It was snowing, but the M1 and A46 were nothing like around Brum. I must say I am surprised it is on though with the modern passion for Health & Safety. Having said that, I have been to the Crisp Bowl in worse snow.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We took around six hours to get up here today by car, leaving around 10am and arriving at 5pm, stopping en route. Took it really easy all the way, saw a few prangs and the odd idiot driving like a maniac, but motorways were fairly passable. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but we will be at St Andrew's at 9am for the inspection, bringing fans news live via Twitter, Facebook and the club website. The latest word from Birmingham tonight was that the pitch is likely to be playable, but it will be the safety in the surrounding areas will ultimately determine whether the game will be on. Snow has now stopped, but there is a fair amount of snow and slush about, and forecast suggests there may be more snow overnight.

Thanks - most helpful.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Probably gonna be bus wankers, it's a direct bus from Brighton to Three Bridges - so hopefully the main roads will be ok.

Likewise. Just f***ing hate buses.

At least Virgin have done the right thing.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Will the Birmingham match be on/Birmingham snow thread (merged)

[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]

Any idea if BCFC will be clearing the area around the stadium or is it being left to the council ?

Would a full refund be given to those who have tickets if it is off ?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Would be good to know if there are refunds for those who buy a ticket but can't get there and it's on - I suspect not but you never know, Birmingham City might be quite reasonable with their T's and C's.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Would be good to know if there are refunds for those who buy a ticket but can't get there and it's on - I suspect not but you never know, Birmingham City might be quite reasonable with their T's and C's.

I called them about this, and they said ask the Albion. I asked the Albion and they said ask Brum.

I guess we are not entitlted to refund, but they could offer a gesture of goodwill in circumstances

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

No chance. Football clubs are there to fleece the punters. No reason why Birmingham would be any different.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Re: Will the Birmingham match be on/Birmingham snow thread (merged)

I live 15 minutes train ride from new street. Only problem is, I have no clue how I'll make the one and a half mile journey to the train station. Roads are completely impassible in my villiage. Hopefully the M6 is better!!

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
No chance. Football clubs are there to fleece the punters. No reason why Birmingham would be any different.

Bit of a scam really. I don't have a problem with not getting refunds on train tickets. I buy them well in advance as there is a massive discount for doing so. It is a calculated risk knowing the odd game might get postponed.

However, clubs almost force us to buy match tickets in advance, although we would prefer to POG. I know we don't acually HAVE to buy in advance, but we are encouraged to do so with loyalty points etc.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bit of a scam really. I don't have a problem with not getting refunds on train tickets. I buy them well in advance as there is a massive discount for doing so. It is a calculated risk knowing the odd game might get postponed.

However, clubs almost force us to buy match tickets in advance, although we would prefer to POG. I know we don't acually HAVE to buy in advance, but we are encouraged to do so with loyalty points etc.

I guess the argument put forward would be that they have staged the match that you have bought a ticket for. There could be a legal avenue I guess if your mode of transport (public) was cancelled and you had no way to attend. It would probably be easier to get the railway company/coach company to cough up. Or maybe the credit card company if the ticket was purchased with one.

But, given the circumstances they should really be sympathetic to the appalling conditions enroute and maybe call it as a 50% refund.

I think it will be called off anyway, it's not going to get any warmer during the night and the surrounding area will probably be like an ice rink!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I live 15 minutes train ride from new street. Only problem is, I have no clue how I'll make the one and a half mile journey to the train station. Roads are completely impassible in my villiage. Hopefully the M6 is better!!
:lolol:

I know its quite a trek, but have you considered walking?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Will the Birmingham match be on/Birmingham snow thread (merged)

Virgin have said if your due to use them tomorrow, you can get a full refund from who you bought your tickets from.

Southern then tell me that they will not be giving refunds because the tickets have already been printed.

I see train companies can actually communicate with each other then :facepalm:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
We've just been out for dinner in a small village just north of Birmingham (B roads) and they were drivable, the main A roads and motorways seem ok if you drive sensibly. Spoke to a couple of guys in the restaurant who live in Birmingham and they said there's no reason why we won't be able to get to the ground tomorrow, they seem to think it will all be clear. I don't know the area well enough to comment but they said they both come from that area and were pretty confident.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We took around six hours to get up here today by car, leaving around 10am and arriving at 5pm, stopping en route. Took it really easy all the way, saw a few prangs and the odd idiot driving like a maniac, but motorways were fairly passable. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but we will be at St Andrew's at 9am for the inspection (pitch by ref, and other areas by safety officer), and will bring fans news live via Twitter, Facebook and the club website. The latest word from Birmingham tonight was that the pitch is likely to be playable, but it will be the safety of the surrounding areas and roads which will ultimately determine whether the game will be on. Snow has now stopped, but there is a fair amount of snow and slush about, and forecast suggests there may be more snow overnight.

Thanks for the info , our train is scheduled to leave at 09.34 so we should know if the game is on or off before purchasing the train tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here