Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bastards ! Lewes Council to challenge Falmer

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
You could ask for the minutes of the meeting under FOI. They would cite exemption 42 "Legal Professional Privelege" and possibly exemption 36 "Prejudice to Effective Conduct of Public Affairs" and withold the information. You could then apply for an internal review by the council who would take about 2 months to uphold their own decision. Then you could apply to the Information Commissioner who would take about 6 months to uphold the Council's decision. Then you could apply to the Information Tribunal and possibly get the information, by which time the Stadium would be built.

Hope that helps :glare:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Don't panic ......

What we are forgetting here is that LDC are having to appeal ... to ..... appeal. This process will cost them bugger all but will no doubt give them a nice warm feeling. Basically they go to the courts, the courts say 'sod off'. LDC then ring their hands and tell Falmer residents ' we tried' ....

The club will still go ahead with raising the finance etc. Let face it, no work starts until this time next year.

Then again I could be talking bollocks

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
Don't panic ......

What we are forgetting here is that LDC are having to appeal ... to ..... appeal. This process will cost them bugger all but will no doubt give them a nice warm feeling. Basically they go to the courts, the courts say 'sod off'.

What if they've found legitimate grounds for a JR? Also, what if (as somebody said elsewhere) the High Court Judge is one of their kind? Lives in the country in a real village and believes all of their bollocks?

Seagull Stew

I'm afraid I feel it has come to a stage whereby the club and we the supporters have to come together to fight this in the most effective way.
And by this I mean hit the councillors where it hurts the most. It's voters!
We should now consider a very public campaign urging supporters of football in the Sussex area and beyond to not visit Lewes and give business to the town.
We have to make sure we make it clear exactly why we are doing this and point out how the council are using their own taxpayers' money to try to destroy the club.
This is not war against the people of Lewes but sometimes measures like these are the only way to go.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
mona said:
Shouldn't we be writing to the Lib Dem leadership and making life as uncomfortable as possible for Ann De Vecchi and her football-hating cronies.

So much for Norman Baker's talk of a healing process. This is war.

Totally agree we need an all out campaign to address these 'developments' but I suspect this was more a case of counsel advising what he/she believed LDC wanted to hear.

I cannot concieve anyway a judge will conceed & this go to JR. Prescott's decision as far as I can see is water tight on all points. JR can only happen if the decision is shown to be illegal & other options not considered. Prescott was very thorough as we would expect so LDC's QC as I see it is simply clutching at straws.

Best bet IMO is to go direct to those on the cabinet (I am not clear whether this was a full cabinet, council or just planning committee).

I think letters to Baker will be answered as nothing to do with him, which is probably right, but a letter campaign direct to leader of LDC & rest of LDC councillors responsible for this will be most effective.

Given Brighton fans not on NSC & other Lewes residents not fully aware until Argus announcement today, I suspect there will be a furore so I suggest we all start letter writing to Argus & LDC - I certainly will be.

Also as a long time member of the Lib Dems (awaits to be majorly flamed) I will be taking this up with them. We locally (at least I & others I know) did take various actions to get Bellotti deselected when he tried to stand for euro elections) & this may be why he moved away to resurface at Bath. There are also Lib Dems who are very pro Albion (although many of you may think otherwise) indeed voted for Falmer to be given the go-ahead whilst serving on Brighton & Hove council.

Anyway this will not rest & we all need to make our views clearly known least of all Lewes council tax payers.

I also like Atilla's suggestion re Forfars - whether we want to run a poster camapign could be considered although we need to be careful as we do not want to run foul of the law do we?

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Deportivo Seagull said:
Don't panic ......

What we are forgetting here is that LDC are having to appeal ... to ..... appeal. This process will cost them bugger all but will no doubt give them a nice warm feeling. Basically they go to the courts, the courts say 'sod off'. LDC then ring their hands and tell Falmer residents ' we tried' ....

The club will still go ahead with raising the finance etc. Let face it, no work starts until this time next year.

Then again I could be talking bollocks
Agree but would be nice to put the wind up LDC in the meantime.:lolol:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
hmmm

is it it as bad as it sounds? As said they have to appeal for the right to appeal. Then if it happens Prescott has to look at the evidence again and admit he was wrong? Is that the bottom line, and Prescott can still have the final say?

In the mean time the club get on with preparation for the tender and finance

Or am I missing something?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm afraid I cannot see a judge turning down the request for a Judicial Review. Whilst I believe Lewes DC's case is very weak there is a case to answer that Prescott has gone agaist his own planing guidelines. But Prescott has given good reasons for that.
My guess is that a learned Judge will think this is an important point of law which should be investigated. Remember it's got nothing to do with Football or the Albion. It's all about planning and the decision of Prescott on a planning matter.

:down: :down: :down:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bwian said:
What if they've found legitimate grounds for a JR? Also, what if (as somebody said elsewhere) the High Court Judge is one of their kind? Lives in the country in a real village and believes all of their bollocks?

Because OPDM spent ages tying the whole thing up in knots so as to prevent a JR. BTW being an area of AONB does NOT prevent it from being built on, especally when that so called AONB is already ear marked for development.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Seagull_Stew said:
I'm afraid I feel it has come to a stage whereby the club and we the supporters have to come together to fight this in the most effective way.
And by this I mean hit the councillors where it hurts the most.

Between the f***ing eyes with a ball pane hammer??

A kick in bollocks with 'Rosa Kleb' shoes??

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
33057 Seagull said:

Best bet IMO is to go direct to those on the cabinet (I am not clear whether this was a full cabinet, council or just planning committee).
Also as a long time member of the Lib Dems (awaits to be majorly flamed) I will be taking this up with them. We locally (at least I & others I know) did take various actions to get Bellotti deselected when he tried to stand for euro elections) & this may be why he moved away to resurface at Bath. There are also Lib Dems who are very pro Albion (although many of you may think otherwise) indeed voted for Falmer to be given the go-ahead whilst serving on Brighton & Hove council.
The fact that you are a LibDem is good news as we can put more pressure on the anti-football elitists who are mismanaging Lewes DC. De Vecchi and her cronies have made life unpleasant for many of us over the last couple of years. Now is payback time. Please could you write to LibDem HQ, Charles Kennedy etc.
I believe Mark Oathen MP is a LibDem who is mildly in favour of the stadium.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Fourteenth Eye said:
i actually think that is a really good idea

Maybe the Arsgas can distribute it in theire lewes editions

I still think mine is better

Staly said:
You could ask for the minutes of the meeting under FOI. They would cite exemption 42 "Legal Professional Privelege" and possibly exemption 36 "Prejudice to Effective Conduct of Public Affairs" and withold the information. You could then apply for an internal review by the council who would take about 2 months to uphold their own decision. Then you could apply to the Information Commissioner who would take about 6 months to uphold the Council's decision. Then you could apply to the Information Tribunal and possibly get the information, by which time the Stadium would be built.

Hope that helps :glare:

Actually I have just had to deal with a FOI request, for the requester it a bit of p*** just ask the above question " I would like minutes of the meeting under FOI".

For the public authorityi ts a real pain, I had to spend at least two hours preparing a draft, it then had to be proofed by legal and then the FOI tea.

If you want to bugger up Lewes council lets plan an orchestrated FOI campaign.

LC

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London Calling said:
Actually I have just had to deal with a FOI request, for the requester it a bit of p*** just ask the above question " I would like minutes of the meeting under FOI".

For the public authorityi ts a real pain, I had to spend at least two hours preparing a draft, it then had to be proofed by legal and then the FOI tea.

If you want to bugger up Lewes council lets plan an orchestrated FOI campaign.

LC

I have to deal with FOI requests occasionally and it is less of a problem if you are answering the same question more than once but if the question is subtly different you have to do a lot more work each time. We may get some useful answers, but the point will be more to cause LDC a lot of grief

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gaffer said:
. Remember it's got nothing to do with Football or the Albion. It's all about planning and the decision of Prescott on a planning matter.

:down: :down: :down:

HOOOFUCKINGRAY

Spot on aged namesake

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here