Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bastards ! Lewes Council to challenge Falmer

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BRIGHTON and Hove Albion fans last night accused a council of trying to kill off their club after councillors decided to challenge John Prescott's decision on Falmer stadium.

Lewes District Council dealt a blow to thousands of Seagulls fans across Sussex by agreeing to launch a legal bid in the High Court to call for a judicial review.

Club chairman Dick Knight said a successful appeal against Prescott's decision to allow the stadium at Falmer would destroy Brighton and Hove Albion.

But he maintained the council's legal challenge would not stop the club from going ahead with plans for the £50 million stadium.

Fans reacted angrily after councillors met in secret, refusing to let the public hear their discussion by barring The Argus from their meeting, before sending out a statement by email to announce their decision.

This is despite a legal appeal by The Argus which called on the council to hold last night's cabinet meeting in public.

The Argus tried to challenge the private meeting by quoting the Local Government Act 1972 which states that council cabinet decisions must be made in public.

But the challenge was refused on the grounds the meeting included legal advice from the council's barristers.

Cabinet members left via fire exit doors, not the main exit, after the meeting.

Tim Carder, chairman of the Albion's supporters' club, accused the council of trying to destroy the Seagulls.

He said: "I can only conclude that Lewes District Council is seeking to delay the building of the stadium in the hope that the Albion go under for financial reasons.

"Despite the lip-service paid in their statement to the need for a new home for the club, it's obvious to me that they are anti-Albion and would be happy to see the club go out of business.

"Fortunately the club - the board, the staff and the supporters - are strong and are as one on this. There might be more delay and uncertainty, but we will come through this, just as we have with every other obstacle put in our path over the last decade."

After the meeting, Lewes District Council released this statement: "John Prescott's decision to grant planning permission for a new football stadium at Falmer is to be challenged in the High Court because it conflicts with his own Government's planning guidance, designed to protect Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) against this sort of development and because a number of important planning issues were either overlooked or were not properly considered."

The council said it decided to proceed with the legal challenge after taking advice from a barrister.

It said: "The district council has never argued that the Albion should not have a new stadium and believes there are alternative sites available which are more suitable for this development."

Council leader Ann De Vecchi refused to about the decision, saying she would not comment until discussions with "interested parties" were over.

The decision is a bombshell to thousands of fans who only a month ago were jubilantly celebrating when the 22,000-seater stadium was given the go-ahead after a seven-year battle and two public inquiries.

Mr Knight said: "We will carry on with business as usual. We are determined to get this stadium.

"It's bad news for our fans but totally predictable. Lewes District Council has done everything possible to stop this stadium happening.

"Myself and Martin Perry are very pragmatic and we don't count our chickens. It does not surprise me they are going to lodge this appeal. There is no guarantee that the judge will say there is a justified reason for lodging it anyway.

"Why don't they actually name a better site and tell me where it is. We would be only too happy to go there."

A High Court judge will now consider whether or not to hear the appeal. If it goes ahead, the judge could order Mr Prescott to revisit the report from the third planning inspector.

This could be a lengthy process before he has to make a decision for a second time.

Paul Samrah, of the Falmer For All campaign, said: "The fans will be absolutely horrified and totally shocked.

"To commit more public money to this would be an absolute abuse."
-------------------------------------------------------------
It's a dreadful waste of time and public money apart from anything else. It's also a total abuse of power. The fact that the council did all this in a closed meeting shows what a complete and utter bunch of wankers they are. I think that their council tax payers should refuse to pay until they cease this ridiculous charade.

Last edited:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Lets just hope the there is not enough evidence to support there claim for another appeal.Why can't they just except Presscott's decision?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
How can this go to another inquiry?They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not much of a surprise. This bit is relatively cheap.

And it doesn't breach AONB planning considerations, that was the point of the last public enquiry.

And I don't believe they are allowed to appeal for Judicial Review on the basis that "ODPM overlooked something". Could we then appeal on the basis that the earlier inspectors overlooked just about every important fact? There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

At least I don't live in Lewes and have to pay for it.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
the meeting included legal advice from the council's barristers - something like this then:

council - if we appeal we can guarantee you some more work at that nice overinflated fee

barrister - OK, on legal grounds you should then

council - OK we will

fraudulent fckers

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's quite disgusting. Luckily, as they refused to admit the Argus you can bet that they'll be on this decision and will ensure every bit of bad publicity for what is clearly a small bunch of narrow minded tossers who should all be relieved of their seats at the next election.

They seem to forget that not so long ago many people in Lewes were bemoaning the fact that their home town team had to play a big cup match at Stoke as there was no suitable venue in the whole of Sussex to stage this historic game.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I would love to hear the governments view on this

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Curious Orange said:

This is today's Argus front page (which I think is the point that Frank is trying to make)
I'm glad the Argus is on our case (despite what people think of it as a paper)
I hope it causes an uproar from non football Lewes DC tax payers. There are lots of people, whilst not fans, still think the stadium should go ahead and are sick of their money being wasted.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
This is today's Argus front page (which I think is the point that Frank is trying to make)
I'm glad the Argus is on our case (despite what people think of it as a paper)
I hope it causes an uproar from non football Lewes DC tax payers. There are lots of people, whilst not fans, still think the stadium should go ahead and are sick of their money being wasted.

Just making sure everyone has all the info Yorkie.

The Argus have been right behind the Falmer campaign for a long time, so I should think that Lewes residents are about to become very well informed about what their councilors are up to behind their backs.

What makes me sick is the fact that they made the decision in secret, just like the decision to sell the Goldstone was ten years ago.

I can understand the reasons for hearing the legal advise behind closed doors, but the decision, one where there is evidently so much public interest, should have been made in public.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In our favour this government isn't too good at backing down or admitting mistakes, so we should be ok ???

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Lewes District Council
It said: "The district council has never argued that the Albion should not have a new stadium and believes there are alternative sites available which are more suitable for this development."

I can't believe the stupid f*ckers have dared to use that line again. They backed a couple of sites at the re-opened Inquiry, and the Inspector said they weren't suitable. Where is this available alternative site? Oh that's right, it doesn't exist!! :censored:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The whole idea is just to delay the contruction of the stadium as altough it's pretty clear that Lewes Council is made up of a bunch of complete fuckwits even they must realise that there is no hope of having the decision overturned. I'm sure that they hope we'll fail financially before the stadium can be competed. In that event they'd end up with a half constructed arena which would be a complete eyesore.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I wonder if any of the national dalies would run this story? Council tax money seems to be a hot potato at the moment?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Shouldn't we be writing to the Lib Dem leadership and making life as uncomfortable as possible for Ann De Vecchi and her football-hating cronies.

So much for Norman Baker's talk of a healing process. This is war.

Absolutely outrageous. These officious :censored: are just indulging their own petty prejudice against the wishes of their own electorate. If they spend one penny of public money they should all be made personally liable for it.

Whilst the football club has had to spend millions of pounds trying to secure its future these self-righteous prigs are more than happy to spend other peoples cash on a totally destructive measure.

Quite frankly I think kicking them out via the ballot box is too soft a punishment, we should be able to sue them for the uneccessary costs and losses incurred by the club. :angry:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not another bloody delay:angry:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This has probably been discussed before but can't we use the Freedom of Information Act to ask specific questions on usage of ratepayers money, the grounds for this decision?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mona said:
Shouldn't we be writing to the Lib Dem leadership and making life as uncomfortable as possible for Ann De Vecchi and her football-hating cronies.

So much for Norman Baker's talk of a healing process. This is war.

Damn right it's war-no more Mr Nice Guys (or Girls). Dick Knight called for LDC and the club to work together-well, they can f*** right off. We've been tippy toeing through this campaign because we haven't wanted to ruffle anybody's feathers but now the gloves should come off. LDC are kissing the butts of 200 'villagers' with over £200,000 of council tax money already spent and now they're looking to spend more.

Forfars should be picketed until they go out of business.

Time we got nasty!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here