Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, the thought of snow makes me depressed.

The snow is fine as long as you don't need to use the crappy roads. Guaranteed someone somewhere will have a prang causing hours of misery for the other drivers.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 6Z GFS is starting to roll out. Suffice to say, at the key time 84-96 hours it's still rubbish for sustained cold. :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Flex Your Head

The next model output available is the 6Z GFS, which starts to trickle out from about 10:30 and is complete (inclucing ensemble) by about 11:45am.

Was there anything at 11.45 to give hope to us snow fans?
If not, do you think the Mirror and Express will just include something buried deep on page 17 along the lines of "Phew, that was close" following their rather hysterical front pages?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Was there anything at 11.45 to give hope to us snow fans?
If not, do you think the Mirror and Express will just include something buried deep on page 17 along the lines of "Phew, that was close" following their rather hysterical front pages?

The BBC forecasts are openly talking about next week being cold and snowy on the TV, so they are happy with the ECM / UKMO outlook, and are ignoring the GFS.

Other info:

The GEM (one of the 2nd tier models) ensemble is very much in favour of the low moving down across the UK and a strong Easterly feed. I believe GEM is closely aligned to ECM.

The CFS (minor US model) has the same evolution, and because it runs out to 800 hours(!) has over 400 hours of cold snowy weather. Mental.

The ECM supports the sinking low, but pushes everything too far north, leaving southern England in milder rain.

The UKMO shows a continued cold spell throughout next week, with snow likely.

The GFS ensembles do support their main Op run. The fact that the Met Office (who do use this model) have totally discounted it in their forecasts is encouraging.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Will very interesting to see the what the models thing this evening!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

The GFS ensembles do support their main Op run. The fact that the Met Office (who do use this model) have totally discounted it in their forecasts is encouraging.

Yes, encouraging for those of us who want cold and snow. For those of us who would prefer otherwise :eek:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not going to be around to comment on the blizzard of model output this evening (spending the late time at the Amex for the Stargazing thing). I'm sure there are many others who follow the charts who can comment on what are being called 'the most eagerly awaited 12z model runs in years'...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is stolen from the TWO discussions..

For anyone who has been on Pluto, the key time to watch is around 60 hours. Below we have the 66 hour chart on 06Z GFS vs the 72 hour from 00Z ECM.

This run, we want that low to show signs of curving down to the SE, with the HP "opening up" to let it pop through...

vwy9vb.png

Simple as that - we need the low to head our way - not towards Northern Scandinavia.

This is stolen from the TWO discussions..

View attachment 38328

Simple as that - we need the low to head our way - not towards Northern Scandinavia.

So if the low heads out towards Scandinavia we don't get snow and cold but get mild and wet, is that right?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this is going the same way as our search for a striker, the snow thing has been a wild goose chase and we will end up with a barn door billy period of mild and very wet....you think you have signed the "target man" and snow is gonna bury us and bang is gone as quick as that!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

I was kind of messing around but with a an awful sense of dread about Mr Scotland. Anyway back on topic, cold and rainy is shite, especially as I have to cycle to work every day.

As it is for those who spend there whole working day outside ..but then if it snows I can't even see my work

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A bit better 12z GFS run so far!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The GFS Run at 6am +132hours
h500slp.png

The GFS Run at Midday +132hours
h500slp.png

This is the model which was suggesting a return to milder atlantic conditions in the middle of next, but has backtracked somewhat and has the cooler air still with us. Us cold lovers will take that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here