Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Although I don't know all the technical terms, the chart I am showing is the temperature higher up in the atmosphere. The chart you have is lower down.

GFS Weather Charts - updated four times daily - Netweather.tv

Select chart types, and you can flick between 500hpa (Your chart) and 850hpa (My chart).

I don't know a lot about this weather stuff, but some people are getting very excited....but its still a long way away.

Ah yes, my bad mate, those charts are showing similar things to yours now, if it comes to fruition how cold could it be and for what period of time? (In your opinion)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Ah yes, my bad mate, those charts are showing similar things to yours now, if it comes to fruition how cold could it be and for what period of time? (In your opinion)

Not a clue, but with extremely cold uppers and a brisk Easterly wind coming off a bitterly cold continent, there is the possibility of plunging temperatures and snow.

It's still a good 10 days away, so like any forecast theres always a chance it will never happen. Hell, we were getting excited about the prospect of snow on Monday for Today, and that never happened!

So a cold weekend ahead, followed by a spell of midler weather with a possible return to the cold the following weekend.

Yoda

English & European
Although I don't know all the technical terms, the chart I am showing is the temperature higher up in the atmosphere. The chart you have is lower down.

GFS Weather Charts - updated four times daily - Netweather.tv

Select chart types, and you can flick between 500hpa (Your chart) and 850hpa (My chart).

I don't know a lot about this weather stuff, but some people are getting very excited....but its still a long way away.

The main 2 you want to be checking on the GFS charts are the 850hpa & HGT 500-1000. 850hpa needs to be -5 or below and HGT 500-1000 no thicker than 528 for a REAL risk of snow. That and precipitation.

More ice on the roads tonight - and after the drizzle this afternoon and evening, it's going to come as a surprise to some motorists. I have to admit, I got a little wake-up when my car fishtailed after rounding a bend on the way home - then I had to tread carefully walking from where I'd parked to get to my door.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The main 2 you want to be checking on the GFS charts are the 850hpa & HGT 500-1000. 850hpa needs to be -5 or below and HGT 500-1000 no thicker than 528 for a REAL risk of snow. That and precipitation.

Very interesting, its a long way off but if the forecasts come to fruition there could be come extremely cold weather, something to keep our eyes on. :clap2:

Anyway, back to the near future, what's your prediction on the prospect of snow in the next 3-5 days?

Yoda

English & European
Very interesting, its a long way off but if the forecasts come to fruition there could be come extremely cold weather, something to keep our eyes on. :clap2:

Anyway, back to the near future, what's your prediction on the prospect of snow in the next 3-5 days?

Slim pickings for the next few days. May get a little with a weak front moving south on Sunday evening, but apart from that, almost none. :(

As for the following week, it's TOO far ahead to predict for certain. Apparently, the models can't decide what's going to happen, but most of the 'mean' one's posted have had the really cold snap moving in due to a beast of a high pressure system moving towards Scandinavia from Sybira.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This morning's model output is very disappointing for snow lovers. The GFS has come in line with the UKMO and ECM showing milder wet weather arriving next week.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A nice dusting of the white stuff in Worthing today. We want more though!!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Quite a lot of snow in Wolverhampton today... the office is quiet.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nothing but extreme frost here in BN2, the models seem to now be pointing to a warmer spell at the start of the month, rather than the predicted colder spell, disappointing for all snow lovers. :tantrum:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Scrap that Wizard.

This evenings models are very interesting, and are hinting towards the cold snap coming back as early as next week.

I wouldn't want to be a weather forecaster right now!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Scrap that Wizard.

This evenings models are very interesting, and are hinting towards the cold snap coming back as early as next week.

I wouldn't want to be a weather forecaster right now!

Interesting dj, i've been laid up in bed all day, so i've not seen the models. Is that just the GFS, or is there cross model support?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Interesting dj, i've been laid up in bed all day, so i've not seen the models. Is that just the GFS, or is there cross model support?

Not a clue I'm afraid Papa! Merely a keen onlooker with a Geography degree, as opposed to a clued up weather enthusiast!

People seem to be looking at the ECM 12z, and getting quite excited. The GEM 12z seems to have backtracked to an Easterly for early next week too.

Certainly enough in the models to suggest Winter may not be over.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I was just about to bounce this thread, the latest models are interesting indeed, but as we have seen in the last week, it can change very easily, lets hope it doesn't for all us snow lovers. :clap2:

Also interesting that its 0 degrees outside now when its supposed to be 5 degrees..???

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey. I just had a look, and the ECM 12z is a thing of beauty, with a snow laden long fetch bitterly cold easterly.

And has been mentioned the other models, including the Meto isn't too dissimilar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here