Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Yeah it's a tough one to call at the moment, we might end up with 60 - 70 mph gusts or just a gentle breeze. The analogy of it (which I've tried to explain to my work colleagues) is imagine a spinning top merrily spinning away but not too fast then whilst it's moving about you try and place your hand on top to make it go faster, if you miss it doesn't speed up, but if you get it right then it will go mad! A small depression is coming across the atlantic, the big question is whether it connects with a very fast jet streak above. It it does then gales if it doesn't then you won't know anything different.

We'll have an idea over the weekend as to what is going to happen.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's this little blighter that's got everyone interested.

There's a large low centred to the North of Scotland, with a secondary low zipping along the jet to it's south. It's how quickly this little feature develops that could really hammer us.

Storm.png

Flex Your Head

Nothing in the forecast down here... yet.

Funnily enough I was thinking about bumping this thread earlier today as a colleague mentioned that the temperatures in the second half of November are looking to be a fair bit lower than ususal. Anything to back this up, or has he just been quoting from the Express again?

Yoda

English & European
Funnily enough I was thinking about bumping this thread earlier today as a colleague mentioned that the temperatures in the second half of November are looking to be a fair bit lower than ususal. Anything to back this up, or has he just been quoting from the Express again?

Not the Express, I've noticed it on a few runs lately.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Were all doomed I tell ee. I feel it in my water. This winter is going to be an EPIC.

I've been modelling it on my home met station. All of the signs are BAD.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's nothing to indicate snow down here in the model output. The GFS ensemble had had the odd 5-10% chance showing, but there's been no cross or intra model support

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Any suggestions to what the weather's going to be like at the weekend Papa, met office only does 5 days. I've got a shed to put up on my allotment so sunny and calm would be nice if you could arranger it :D

Dec 29, 2011
If this thread is bounced I always get a little bit excited inside, even if it was mid-summer I'd have a little bit of hope there might be snow coming up.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There's a 50% chance of snow over here in Boston tomorrow. Once that starts it doesn't bloody stop for the next four or five months.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Any suggestions to what the weather's going to be like at the weekend Papa, met office only does 5 days. I've got a shed to put up on my allotment so sunny and calm would be nice if you could arranger it :D

Looking ok at the weekend. The GFS ensemble shows low chance of rain on Saturday, slightly higher on Sunday

D

Deleted member 18477

Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

There's a 50% chance of snow over here in Boston tomorrow. Once that starts it doesn't bloody stop for the next four or five months.

Ahhhhh how do you get to work! Madness! Imagine even a month of snow in england :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And longer term, what in your opinion, are the chance of snow this side of Christmas?

There's nothing clear in the available data to point either way. I'd expect the same pattern as recent winters to appear at SOME point, but that might be before Xmas as it did in 2010, or Jan or Feb as it did on other winters. However, if there is a pattern change I'll report it and the fun can start.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok, so we're starting to see the first signs of colder weather for the UK. This spell (if it occurs as forecast) will probably only give snow to the North, but it does mark the first attempt at Mid Atlantic blocking, which has been a feature of the past 4 or 5 winters when snow has fallen down here.

This is the latest ECM output, with cold air forecast to push across the UK from the NE. Down here the upper air would be warm for snow, but there is some very cold air forecast for Scotland.

ECM 12-11-13 216Z SLP.png

The other models shows slightly different evolutions, but they all feature some form of ridging from Mid Atlantic, so a change is potentially afoot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here