Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is a worrying trend in the models for a period of above zero dew points across Sussex and Hants on Monday. This is the result a little low pressure system that develops and draws milder air in from the SW for a spell, with colder air behind it again. That aspect may be removed in subsequent output though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

The BBC, met office and daily express, successfully over hyped an outside chance of Kent/Ashdown Forest getting max 1cm of snow, and everyone fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Stories the media have waited 24 mild months to drag out such as Gatwicks new snow ploughs, were finally aired.

The Sussex coast was always forecast to get zero, and now the whole of Sussex will get zero.

The temps are simply many degrees too high.

Err, we had loads of snow last year. Where were you?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Err, we had loads of snow last year. Where were you?

Since the mid December snow 2010, in the intervening 25 months, Brighton's had one day of snow on Sunday 5th Feb 2012, with approx 6cm at Westdene, Woodingdean, and Ditchling Beacon; but nil even on that solitary occasion in central Brighton & Hove, Rottingdean, etc.

Where was this loads of snow last year? The Alps?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Since the mid December snow 2010, in the intervening 25 months, Brighton's had one day of snow on Sunday 5th Feb 2012, with approx 6cm at Westdene, Woodingdean, and Ditchling Beacon; but nil even on that solitary occasion in central Brighton & Hove, Rottingdean, etc.

I remember that. We were up at Stanmer Park with the greyhound walk and there was snow everywhere. Nothing in Worthing though.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's a lot of uncertainty as the models are giving different outcomes beyond about 96 hours at. They all appear to point to a cold snap, and the exact extent of snow is uncertain.

After reading the Model Discussion Forums on NetWeather there are a lot of confused people trying to ascertain what is happening. There's stratospheric data which is really confusing everything.

Some runs are pointing to the 'potential' for a significant event in the south-east on Mon/Tue if certain events unfold. But then a run from a different computer model (ECM) may predict slightly warmer conditions in the SE with sleet.

It's fair to say that this is really testing the forecasters. Also, these battles between cold/warm, snow/sleet/rain have always been a nightmare to get right, and local conditions effect things as well.

Alternatively, just look out of your door this morning, check the temperature and make a judgement for that's going to be happening over the next 48-96 hours. Yeah; that's what I'll do !!!!!

Just like to say. This.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Just one correction 2010 was beginning of December and not mid.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Probably in Brighton, where we had none.

Sorry, didn't remember Brighton missed out. We had loads in Eastbourne. I think, if I remember correctly, that we also had some in late autumn, early winter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

I thought it was mid, as it was still on the ground on Xmas Day, at least in Barnstaple, where we celebrated it that year.

Here close to Brighton it was beginning of December...I remember it well partly because of my job (gardener) but mainly because it snowed on my daughters birthday Dec 1st

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It snowed heavey on the evening of tues, 30th Nov 2010. I remember it well as i walked home from the pub in Lewes after watching West ham destroy man U 4-0 in the league cup...a game played in a blizard.

D

Deleted User X18H

In 2010 snow fell heavily on 30th November and 1st December in Brighton . No trains ran on the Brighton mainline on 1st December. Jan 2010 was bad as well, or good depending on your outlook.

But the best /worst recently mid December 2009.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Get your supplies in and snow shovel at the ready:

Sunday 4c sunny
Monday 5c wet

You get used to boringly non snowy winters spending a lifetime in Sussex.

(Or good news if you detest snow, and enjoy atlantic low pressure systems with their inherent wind and sunless skies).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Get your supplies in and snow shovel at the ready:

Sunday 4c sunny
Monday 5c wet

You get used to boringly non snowy winters spending a lifetime in Sussex.

(Or good news if you detest snow, and enjoy atlantic low pressure systems with their inherent wind and sunless skies).
having suffered a prolapsed disc in a sledging accident in 2010 (the first significant snow I'd seen since the age of four) and been in constant pain ever since, it's a hurrah from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here