Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Wonder if we should have attacked more when the ball was popping from Swann late on? Fourth wicket at the end may have swung it our way if there are enough overs tomorrow between the showers (downpour).
I'm remaining positive - the downpour / storm is not expected until the afternoon by which time hopefully we'll have wrapped it up.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm positive too rcf0712, but I would have traded another 50 runs for them being 6 down at the close - which they could have been if we'd crowded the bat for the last hour or so. Of course they might not have been - but that ball was spitting at times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Confident if we remove Hussey early

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Massive wicket at the close there for Pietersen.

Outrageous that the umpire didn't give it and Clarke didn't walk. If England had no referrals left then he'd still be in.

Fingers crossed for the weather tomorrow...

MClarke23 Michael Clarke by miller_cricket
Just want to apologise for not walking off the ground tonight when I hit the ball. I was just so disappointed, my emotions got best of me.
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just want to apologise for not walking off the ground tonight when I hit the ball. I was just so disappointed, my emotions got best of me.

Good man.

What I didn't like was the looks Collingwood et al were giving the umpire whilst it was being referred. The looks, and exagerated hand gestures, kinda suggested "you bloody fool - anyone could see he hit it". Not appropriate and not worthy.

larus

Good man.

What I didn't like was the looks Collingwood et al were giving the umpire whilst it was being referred. The looks, and exagerated hand gestures, kinda suggested "you bloody fool - anyone could see he hit it". Not appropriate and not worthy.

I know what you mean, but if we'd used our 2 reviews then he would have got away with it, so I can understand the frustration at the failure to see something which appears to be straight forward.
Bit like Hussey in the first test.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I didn't really see what happened properly. Looked like he was walking at one point then he changed his mind?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I didn't really see what happened properly. Looked like he was walking at one point then he changed his mind?

He started to walk but when he realised the England players stopped celebrating he turned and looked at the umpire who had given not out, then he stood his ground and England had to refer. A ridiculous situation really as it was a huge edge. I don't think the England players did a lot wrong in giving the umpire a bit of grief, it was a horrible decision and one that could change the outcome of the match.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
He started to walk but when he realised the England players stopped celebrating he turned and looked at the umpire who had given not out, then he stood his ground and England had to refer. A ridiculous situation really as it was a huge edge. I don't think the England players did a lot wrong in giving the umpire a bit of grief, it was a horrible decision and one that could change the outcome of the match.

Was it the same umpire that had given Clarke out earlier when he didn't get near it? That might be reason why he didn't give it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On this referral system is the referral still registered as one if it is successful like in the Clarke Iincident or does that not count as one of our referrals as it was the correct decision.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
On this referral system is the referral still registered as one if it is successful like in the Clarke Iincident or does that not count as one of our referrals as it was the correct decision.

If the referral is successful it does not count as one used.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
It was very odd though. Tony Hill kind of nodded at the England players when they were appealing as if to say "I don't need to give it out as he is walking" but then he stopped. Bad error by the umpire but exactly the sort of thing the review system was intended for, not questioning the marginal LBW's that both teams seem to do. Always best to keep a referral up the sleeve to avoid such errors happening.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I am not surprised he apologised ................ he won't hear the end of that for a while. He must have regretted it as soon as he stopped walking.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Will England's decision to bat for 40mins this morning come back to haunt them?

Will England's decision to bat for 40mins this morning come back to haunt them?

I don't think it's fair to say, even if they don't win, that this was the wrong decision. I'm sure Katich and Watson assumed they'd be facing first thing this morning, so putting them out in the field may well have thrown them a bit mentally. Also, if they had been batting all day they may well have put on another 50-odd for the first wicket in great batting conditions (as they were at the time) and now be level with England, knowing that every run scored tomorrow would count double (as England would have to score it as well). Those extra 70 runs also took an Aussie win completely out of the equation. If they don't bowl them out tomorrow then it's because the Aussies have batted really well or the weather has saved them, it won't be due to 9 overs faced this morning.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No evidence that Katich or Watson WERE thrown.

Personally, I would have declared and backed the bowlers who skittled out the Aussies for 250-odd in the first innings. I acknowledge that it is a tight call, but look at the odds - England and the draw are both 10/11, while the Aussies are 250-1. That means the bookies think we've got less than 50% chance of winning which, given the position we were in yesterday, is a little disappointing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here