Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Feels a bit like the Perth game where we let them (Johnson) get 50 more than they should have and it proved to be the difference. Maybe this time we'll bat on and get a lead. Anything over 350 would be doing well I think, giving a lead of perhaps 70/80. They have to win so could dash at this giving us - esp Swann - opportunities. Could leave us chasing 250 on a tricky strip last day.

Difficult for Australia. They need to win so have to either get a big first innings lead (looks unlikely) in order to have a good go at us, or they have to set a realistic total to chase for the win (or we won't go for it). Well poised test match.

Day 3: we'll have a lead of 70. They chase it down for 2 by close
Day 4: Australia have a dash - all out and lead by 240. England 20-2 at close.
Day 5: Wickets fall steadily all day but England get home - Prior hitting the winning runs.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
It is certianly set up to be the closest test match so far. England shouldn't have let them get away, I was waiting up to see the final two wickets fall but had to give in and go to bed as the runs started flowing. I agree it was like Perth wehre we let them out of a tight spot - something we didn't do at Melbourne with obvious results.
Big session tomorrow, Australai will look to get quick wickets and try and start a collapse, though I think that seems unlikely. Any lead above 50 will be a bonus for England - though I have a feeling they will regret those 70+ runs conceded to Johnson and Hilfenhaus.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's set up to be a good one, had a feeling Johnson would notch and just get enough runs to make it really difficult for us, real shame about the loss of KP. But you have to look at our order and believe we have enough to overhaul there total by a fair amount.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The positive way to look at things is that if the wicket flattens out and we bat all day tomorrow then the series is (pretty much guaranteed) ours.

PG

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think we need to crack on tomorrow morning and be close to the Oz total by lunch as I think the pitch will start to deteriorate soon. But hopefully that plays into the hands of Swann. I reckon Oz deciding to bat first was partly influence by not wanting to face Swann on a 4/5 day old track.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're scoring at 3 1/2 an over so if we make the second new ball at that rate the scores will be level, and if one of Bell or Collingwood are still in then we should get a big total.

I'd like to see Anderson be positive and do what Hilfenhaus did for them. If he sticks around for 45 mins or more he'll have the rest of the day to recover, and a 40 run partnership to see us past 200 could cause Aussie heads to drop. Anderson's not worked out that well as nightwatchman in previous tests and I think they should consider Swann in this role in the future.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with TRHK, shades of Perth all over again.

And what IS the real value of a nightwatchman? All it's done is effectively move Bell down a place (unless he comes in for Colly as U.B. favours) and there's even more chance of him being left with the 'rats and mice' (copyright Bob Willis) at the end of the innings

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Whats the weather forecast like for the remainder of the test?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Colly bagged a wicket and two catches, and with Anderson in as nightwatchman he knows he won't have long to wait to bat. It's a nice position to be in and I really hope Colly delivers. He's presently scored 70 in this series at an average of 14, and given he's 34 you feel England will look to Morgan in the next series unless Colly makes a big contribution in Sydney.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he retired from Test cricket after this series; you can't top beating the Aussies in Australia and he'll be too old for the next Ashes series, so he might as well stand aside for Morgan and let him get acclimatised as part of a winning side.

More significantly, if Colly is allowed to go on for another couple of years then England will be in danger of having 2 top order players retiring within a year of each other, as Strauss can't go on for ever either.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Wow, positive vibes from all, but personally, I am a little worried that we may not even get a lead, I hope I am proved wrong, only wants a couple of wickets in the 1st hour and they are right back in it.
The wicket will not flatten out, it is already 2 paced, with variable bounce and will only deteriate. Swann will be a nightmare for the Aussies to face in their second knock, but Beer could prove a handful in our 2nd knock.
If you offered me a lead of 60 now I'd snatch your arm off.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Colly bagged a wicket and two catches, and with Anderson in as nightwatchman he knows he won't have long to wait to bat. It's a nice position to be in and I really hope Colly delivers. He's presently scored 70 in this series at an average of 14, and given he's 34 you feel England will look to Morgan in the next series unless Colly makes a big contribution in Sydney.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he retired from Test cricket after this series; you can't top beating the Aussies in Australia and he'll be too old for the next Ashes series, so he might as well stand aside for Morgan and let him get acclimatised as part of a winning side.

More significantly, if Colly is allowed to go on for another couple of years then England will be in danger of having 2 top order players retiring within a year of each other, as Strauss can't go on for ever either.

Whilst this is likely to be Collingwoods last test, I do not think Morgan will come in for him.

Against Sri Lanka I suspect Broad will come in for Collingwood, with Prior moving to 6, Bresnan 7, Broad at 8 and Swann at 9. Effectively it means we end up with 3 number 8's playing, but England do need to be going with 5 bowlers as standard.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with TRHK, shades of Perth all over again.

And what IS the real value of a nightwatchman? All it's done is effectively move Bell down a place (unless he comes in for Colly as U.B. favours) and there's even more chance of him being left with the 'rats and mice' (copyright Bob Willis) at the end of the innings
Totally agree. I hate the night watchman concept. A recognised batsman ought to be able to concentrate for a couple of overs, moreso than a tired bowler anyhow.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Whilst this is likely to be Collingwoods last test, I do not think Morgan will come in for him.

Against Sri Lanka I suspect Broad will come in for Collingwood, with Prior moving to 6, Bresnan 7, Broad at 8 and Swann at 9. Effectively it means we end up with 3 number 8's playing, but England do need to be going with 5 bowlers as standard.

I would like to see this. I think 5 bowlers is the way to go. And the top five + Prior + Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Tremlett and Anderson should be plenty of batting.

And that leaves Morgan, Bopara, Onions, Shahzad, Finn, Treadwell, Monty P et al as decent strength in depth.

Happy days.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Here's a scenario Titanic:

Against a decent, or even consistent, bowling attack Strauss goes early and Cook gets a poor decision. Trott is hanging around and Pietersen goes for 30 - again. Bell gets in but Trott gets a good ball. Bell on 25, England on 125-4 with Prior joining Bell. Prior can be roughed up (and I know can sometimes be great) but he's under pressure because Broad, Swann and Bresnan are behind him. None of these is consistent against decent bowling. Suddenly we don't look overly heavy in the batting department.

If Prior was better under pressure; if Swann and Broad were stronger batsmen; if Bresnan was averaging 35 - then I'd agree with you. However, don't think we can yet have Matt at 6. Just my view.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Here's a scenario Titanic:

Against a decent, or even consistent, bowling attack Strauss goes early and Cook gets a poor decision. Trott is hanging around and Pietersen goes for 30 - again. Bell gets in but Trott gets a good ball. Bell on 25, England on 125-4 with Prior joining Bell. Prior can be roughed up (and I know can sometimes be great) but he's under pressure because Broad, Swann and Bresnan are behind him. None of these is consistent against decent bowling. Suddenly we don't look overly heavy in the batting department.

If Prior was better under pressure; if Swann and Broad were stronger batsmen; if Bresnan was averaging 35 - then I'd agree with you. However, don't think we can yet have Matt at 6. Just my view.

Priors average at 6 is better than at 7.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think if we get a lead of 50+ we can look to Swann to really get going on this track which looks as if it's going to be the only real turner that he's bowled on all tour. I wish that this game was dead, I have to be up at 5am tomorrow but am going to have to stay up until midnight to watch this crucial first hour now!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think if we get a lead of 50+ we can look to Swann to really get going on this track which looks as if it's going to be the only real turner that he's bowled on all tour. I wish that this game was dead, I have to be up at 5am tomorrow but am going to have to stay up until midnight to watch this crucial first hour now!

I'm going to be up at 7 but I have to listen to that first hour too !

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
as always first session is likely to be very important. My thinking is that this is by no means done and dusted and if we lose 2 or 3 quick wickets we may be in trouble. I certainly dont see us as 4/6 like skybet do to win the test. If an aussie i would still have a crack at the 7/2 they are

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here