Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Duckett should do the lottery this week. He's been dropped by Green, had an lbw overturned by a whisker, top edged between two fielders and had a catch grounded. That's some streak.

We can do this if with that sort of luck

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
When has that ever been a legitimate catch?

If you start letting people catch the ball like that, then the art of catching becomes a hell of a lot easier. Incredible that Starc a) took the catch like that, making no attempt to get his hand under the ball b) appealed for it as if it was a totally normal catch.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When has that ever been a legitimate catch?

If you start letting people catch the ball like that, then the art of catching becomes a hell of a lot easier. Incredible that Starc a) took the catch like that, making no attempt to get his hand under the ball b) appealed for it as if it was a totally normal catch.
Never. Am not convinced the one Smith took in the first innings was either.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Never. Am not convinced the one Smith took in the first innings was either.
Oddly the main justification that Ponting gave on the Sky coverage that the catch was valid was that it seemed way more secure than Smith's

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How can that not be out. Clearly caught it well of the ground. This was always in his hand unlike some catchers who straight away throw ball in the air

It's not about length of time, but being 'in control'. Fielders who throw the ball in the air already (by definition as they are able to throw it) have the ball and themselves under control.

1688237173255.png

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
England are playing like a bunch of clowns. Stokes is trying to rewrite the unwritten rules of cricket - don't declare a first innings and don't win the toss and insert your opponents.
He's trying to become some sort of legend but is totally ficking it up.
I predict an Australian whitewash.
I don’t think it’ll be a whitewash. The teams are too well matches in terms of ability. The difference in both tests has been poor decision making by England when batting.

In the first test it was a declaration that didn’t pay off and then overly aggressive batting against Lyon. In this test we were in a commanding position at 190-1 and could and should have got 450+ but kept trying to take on the short ball instead of taking easy 3-4 singles an over with field spread.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Kid on the field collecting the ball. He'd be doing time for that now.
Although it was very, very irritating back then. There were even grown adults doing it. Sometimes the ball wouldn't even have made it to the boundary. The final moments in a Lords final were always a problem for players as there were hundreds waiting to come on and fight for the stumps. Players potentially getting injured.

I'm glad it's like it is now. I think there was a problem in an Ashes match and at that point the authorities started putting their foot down.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How can that not be out. Clearly caught it well off the ground. This was always in his hand unlike some catchers who straight away throw ball in the air

Think about how many times people attempt amazing catches and it pops out either when they land or in mid air, you can’t then say that’s a legitimate catch, he’s used the ground to stabilise his catching hand whilst clearly pushing the ball into the ground.

Until you have full control of your body and ball it’s not a legitimate catch, never has been, all he had to was clasp his hands together, it’s Starcs mistake as he made that catch then fluffed it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think about how many times people attempt amazing catches and it pops out either when they land or in mid air, you can’t then say that’s a legitimate catch, he’s used the ground to stabilise his catching hand whilst clearly pushing the ball into the ground.

Until you have full control of your body and ball it’s not a legitimate catch, never has been, all he had to was clasp his hands together, it’s Starcs mistake as he made that catch then fluffed it.
100% this imo - you haven’t completed the catch until you have full control over your movements, so sliding, mid dive or whatever is still part of the act of catching. He slid the ball along the floor as he stabilised himself.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Why declare when your flying with over 4 days of a test to play?

I’ve read respected cricket writers view of this, during that test, none enamoured to say the least. Calmly explaining why it was wrong.
I’ve not read further this but Stokes had said he didn’t want to see Jimmy with the bat, he wanted to see him with the new ball, bowling at the Aussie openers. He had 20 minutes to try and take a wicket, maybe two, and he took a punt. I’ve already said this on this thread and I’ll say it again. I hope he does it again! It didn’t work on that occasion. Now… he HAS to abandon the ‘Bazball’ approach as he needs to keep his team in an ashes series. The draw will keep it at 1-0 with 3 to go. I admire his scattergun approach but now, right now, is not the time.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It's not about length of time, but being 'in control'. Fielders who throw the ball in the air already (by definition as they are able to throw it) have the ball and themselves under control.

View attachment 162962
“The act of making the catch shall start from the time when the ball in flight comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person other than a protective helmet, and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement.” Starc did not have control of his own movement.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I always remember Starc celebrating at The Oval 10 years ago when the umpires ended the game for bad light and it finished a draw meaning Australia had lost The Ashes 3-0 and thinking what a special kind of ****head he was. 10 years later nothings changed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve not read further this but Stokes had said he didn’t want to see Jimmy with the bat, he wanted to see him with the new ball, bowling at the Aussie openers. He had 20 minutes to try and take a wicket, maybe two, and he took a punt. I’ve already said this on this thread and I’ll say it again. I hope he does it again! It didn’t work on that occasion. Now… he HAS to abandon the ‘Bazball’ approach as he needs to keep his team in an ashes series. The draw will keep it at 1-0 with 3 to go. I admire his scattergun approach but now, right now, is not the time.
Unless it rains there’s really no chance of a draw….simply can’t see us staying in all day and not scoring 257 (less than 3 an over with Lyon out of action) as essentially it’s down to Pope, Stokes and Bairstow.

Draw is 60/1 with the bookies, Convicts 1/6 and England 11/2.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Unless it rains there’s really no chance of a draw….simply can’t see us staying in all day and not scoring 257 (less than 3 an over with Lyon out of action) as essentially it’s down to Pope, Stokes and Bairstow.

If it's down to Pope I'd say England have no chance........😉

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

I know. My point was that England really can’t go out and smash sixes everywhere this time. I was trying to highlight that Bazball, which I like, isn’t the way forward here. Stokes says he won’t change his approach but, in my opinion, he doesn’t have a choice. You can not gift the Aussies a 2-0 lead when you have a TINY chance of keeping it at 1-0.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here