Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ashes staying with Aus. Only one team in history came back from this, a Bradman team in the 30’s.

:lolol: Bazball, shite captaincy and dopey batsmen, outclassed by a proper test eleven. Fundamentals never change.
The lack of pace in our bowling attack, the long batting tail and some pretty weak top order batsmen in our lineup are playing a big part. I disagree about the captaincy. Stokes tries to make stuff happen. It hasn’t worked this time but other times it has and will.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Ashes staying with Aus. Only one team in history came back from this, a Bradman team in the 30’s.

:lolol: Bazball, shite captaincy and dopey batsmen, outclassed by a proper test eleven. Fundamentals never change.
Bazball didn't need to be as reckless as it has been this test. I can forgive the declaration in the first test: if we'd fielded properly we'd have given ourselves enough time to win the game what with the declaration. The sheer stupidity with the bat in this test especially has been incredible. You have to be able to play controlled cricket at certain points in test cricket - bazball or no bazball. If we'd not kept swinging at the short balls, they'd have gone back to bowling more full length. Then go more bazball again. We've just ended up an embarrassment

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bazball didn't need to be as reckless as it has been this test. I can forgive the declaration in the first test: if we'd fielded properly we'd have given ourselves enough time to win the game what with the declaration. The sheer stupidity with the bat in this test especially has been incredible. You have to be able to play controlled cricket at certain points in test cricket - bazball or no bazball. If we'd not kept swinging at the short balls, they'd have gone back to bowling more full length. Then go more bazball again. We've just ended up an embarrassment
I can think of loads of times England have been considerably more embarrassing that this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The lack of pace in our bowling attack, the long batting tail and some pretty weak top order batsmen in our lineup are playing a big part. I disagree about the captaincy. Stokes tries to make stuff happen. It hasn’t worked this time but other times it has and will.

I specifically talking about the colossal f@ck up of the first day of the series declaration. Root was flying. Test cricket, every run counts.

Too clever by half, would be too kind. Instead arrogance, a lack of grey matter.

Set the tone. Similar in a way to Harmison’s opening ball shocker at The Gabba. Gave a psychological lift to the opposition, Harmison admitted he was then down in the dumps for the ensuing two months.

Sport at the highest level is often fine margins, technically and psychologically. Incremental gains (Dave Brailsford, Matthew Syed). We opened the door to the opposition.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We had plenty of time in the first test - and pretty much had it won at 8 down.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I specifically talking about the colossal f@ck up of the first day of the series declaration. Root was flying. Test cricket, every run counts.

Too clever by half, would be too kind. Instead arrogance, a lack of grey matter.

Set the tone. Similar in a way to Harmison’s opening ball shocker at The Gabba. Gave a psychological lift to the opposition, Harmison admitted he was then down in the dumps for the ensuing two months.

Sport at the highest level is often fine margins, technically and psychologically. Incremental gains (Dave Brailsford, Matthew Syed). We opened the door to the opposition.
There’s an element of hindsight trading in that. It suggests never to be bold when making test match cricket decisions in case that charge is leveled against. If it had worked we wouldn’t have been having this conversation. We will never know.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Before gobal warming we might have got away with it. All day rain in summer days seems to not to happen anymore.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
IMG_3593.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:facepalm:

He must have absolutely known he dragged the ball along the floor there……it went for bloody miles. The ‘under control’ rule needs clarification - he’s still in the act of catching it when he falls and slides imo so correct decision.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There’s an element of hindsight trading in that. It suggests never to be bold when making test match cricket decisions in case that charge is leveled against. If it had worked we wouldn’t have been having this conversation. We will never know.

Why declare when your flying with over 4 days of a test to play?

I’ve read respected cricket writers view of this, during that test, none enamoured to say the least. Calmly explaining why it was wrong.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why declare when your flying with over 4 days of a test to play?

I’ve read respected cricket writers view of this, during that test, none enamoured to say the least. Calmly explaining why it was wrong.
It’s a brave new world I suppose. Stokes is trying something new. There will always be opposition from the traditionalists. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here