Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Root and Bairstow got out running past Lyon at Edgbaston, and there's no need. It's not spinning, they're scoring freely, just keep doing what you're doing. You don't need to force it at the moment.

Jul 20, 2003
By all means get yourself out charging down the wicket to a spinner when you need 15 an over in a 20/20 game but WTF in Day 2 of a test. I don't get the risk / reward of a shot like that at this stage Bazball or not.

Indeed, to me it's second to an opener getting run out risking a run when there's no scoreboard pressure (albeit a.very distant 2nd).

Still, 100 for 1 I'd take any time with our current openers, or indeed any openers.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I know it’s how England approach it but it really annoys me when people run past a spinner, it is just an ego thing?

The ball isn’t spinning really, why run down the wicket especially if you’re only going to prod at the ball
If you use your feet properly it messes up the bowler's length and means they can't bowl effectively at you.
Something Ian Chappell's always banging on about:

Obviously it doesn't work if you completely cock it up like Crawley did, but at least he's finding new and exciting ways to get out other than caught behind for 16.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you use your feet properly it messes up the bowler's length and means they can't bowl effectively at you.
Something Ian Chappell's always banging on about:

Obviously it doesn't work if you completely cock it up like Crawley did, but at least he's finding new and exciting ways to get out other than caught behind for 16.
using your feet to a spinner if the pitch is a raging bunsen or if you are smacking it over the top, fine… why do it on day 2 of a test especially when it’s been such easy batting conditions.

Seems a risk that isn’t worth the reward.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Pope is going to get out to that Yorker, riding his luck a little, in amongst some glorious strokes as always with Ollie Pope.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
90 mph Starc goes for 16 off the over :laugh:
In fairness Starc is nearly always the Aussies most expensive bowler, he nearly got him a couple of times that over, purely because of the manner he bowls (full and fast) he will be expensive, normally he placates that by taking wickets.

Duckett nearly runs past one, always just feels the English batsmen are about to do something silly against Lyon, despite the fact he’s getting near zero help from the surface.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get bazball, but I'm not sure Crawley does. He is coasting at a run a ball and then comes charging down the pitch. Is it good enough to get 0-40ish runs at a run a ball but never consolidate on a great start, especially when you're chasing 400?
I just don't get it.
Bit harsh, actually forced Lyon into bowling a poor delivery, bit unlucky getting stumped off one hitting your thigh pad
In fairness Starc is nearly always the Aussies most expensive bowler, he nearly got him a couple of times that over, purely because of the manner he bowls (full and fast) he will be expensive, normally he placates that by taking wickets.

Duckett nearly runs past one, always just feels the English batsmen are about to do something silly against Lyon, despite the fact he’s getting near zero help from the surface.
Its a balance I suppose. If you let Lyon hold up an end, not being expensive and allowing the seamers to rotate, you create pressure on yourself and allow the bowling side to experiment a bit and settle. Knock Lyon about and charge at him a and you give them an additional problem. Crawley got it wrong but was also a bit unlucky.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
using your feet to a spinner if the pitch is a raging bunsen or if you are smacking it over the top, fine… why do it on day 2 of a test especially when it’s been such easy batting conditions.

Seems a risk that isn’t worth the reward.
I think there's two separate points here.
One is that using your feet is, in general, a really good idea to disrupt the length of the bowler, which opens up scoring opportunities and removes the risk of LBW, bat-pad and most caught behind dismissals.
The other point is that Crawley's shit at it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Declaration ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
72 runs to avoid the follow on

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Ben Duckett 52* (84 balls, 5 fours) :clap2:

#steady
Before this test some retired Aussie cricketer said he wasn't a test quality batter. Hope he shoves it back down their throat with a century plus.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lyon broken oh dear.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Lyon 100 tests in a row and out? Looks like a calf strain…

You know that that means, Marnus bowling and Smith bowling leg spin, probably take a 5 for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here