The Apprentice - series 6 - 2010

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stuart is a wanker. Apparently he is safe because Stella is project managing his team. He's seriously deluded into believing that everyone rates him and no-one rates Stella. What a clown.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I found most shocking about this week's is that these were meant to be Britain's brightest business prospects. They're sent to work in Europe's largest economy and our biggest trading partner and not one of them can speak the language. I would guarantee that if there's a German version of The Apprentice, all their contestants would be able to speak English. It was even more cringeworthy than usual tonight.

I actually think Laura's worse than the Brand - her whining gets me down and hope she gets her cards soon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Our lack of foreign languages is hardly the fault of the contestants though. And in any case, if all our 10p telly, pop music and other popular culture was almost exclusively in German, I think you'd find we'd have plenty of German speakers in this country.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was cringing watching Laura this week, she was absolutely dreadful and if they'd lost the task, she would be sacked. Which is gutting for me, I've been championing her for weeks. Clearly, I've backed a loser. But still, I think she's sweet and does have her uses in business tasks. But she really did need to slow down with the German bloke, that was classically British though.

You can't criticise them for not speaking German, it's not fair. In Germany, alot of the posters/signs/newspapers are printed in both German, and English. It's a big advantage, and the fact that English is a very well spoken language (is it still second behind French?) and German isn't... what do you expect. Maybe if they'd gone to France and none of them spoke French, it's more of a valid criticism.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Our lack of foreign languages is hardly the fault of the contestants though.

You can't criticise them for not speaking German, it's not fair. In Germany, alot of the posters/signs/newspapers are printed in both German, and English. It's a big advantage, and the fact that English is a very well spoken language (is it still second behind French?) and German isn't... what do you expect. Maybe if they'd gone to France and none of them spoke French, it's more of a valid criticism.

Sorry, this is bollocks. I'd agree that it wouldn't be fair if we were talking about the average person in the street but we're not talking about average members of the public here, we're talking about a group of bods who claim to be dynamic and bright business people and they haven't been arsed to learn the language of the UK's biggest trading partner.

There's nothing special about Germans - they're not brought up speaking English (and it's total nonsense BTW that posters, signs and newspapers in German are in English. You won't see that apart from airports and major stations) but they realised that their big firms would struggle if they were limited solely to German-speaking markets and so every serious business person is required to know English. It's one of the reasons that the Germans have a car and electronics industry and we haven't.

If they'd sent the contestants to Slovenia or Denmark, fair enough but we're talking about the biggest economy in Europe here and it was a pathetic effort.

To be fair to Simster and NE, this attitude is widely held in the UK but it doesn't really reflect well on us.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sorry, this is bollocks. I'd agree that it wouldn't be fair if we were talking about the average person in the street but we're not talking about average members of the public here, we're talking about a group of bods who claim to be dynamic and bright business people and they haven't been arsed to learn the language of the UK's biggest trading partner.

There's nothing special about Germans - they're not brought up speaking English (and it's total nonsense BTW that posters, signs and newspapers in German are in English. You won't see that apart from airports and major stations) but they realised that their big firms would struggle if they were limited solely to German-speaking markets and so every serious business person is required to know English. It's one of the reasons that the Germans have a car and electronics industry and we haven't.

If they'd sent the contestants to Slovenia or Denmark, fair enough but we're talking about the biggest economy in Europe here and it was a pathetic effort.

To be fair to Simster and NE, this attitude is widely held in the UK but it doesn't really reflect well on us.

Do you honestly think Lord Sugar can speak German?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If Amstrad aren't a major brand in Germany and the job is with them, why would you need to be
fluent in it?
Also, I don't think any of us think they are the greatest 'prospects' but just good tv canon fodder.
I stopped watching it as a talent programme ages ago, now its a comedy series, with fantastic David
Brent moments

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here