Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 11 Sep - WITH GUESTS RICHARD HEBBERD & PC DARREN BALKHAM

Feb 14, 2010
They don't really understand anything do they.

My son (STH) attended the match today, with his 7 year old son (my grandson). It is the first time my grandson has his own season ticket. Unfortunately, my grandson had toothache, and despite putting a brave face on it during the first-half.........the pain was too much for him and his dad had to pop him home at the end of the first half.

My son asked if he could be re-admitted after taking my grandson home to his mum....................'NO' was the answer.

Wankers.

If this is true then what a bunch of jobsworths - dont put up with it, ask for refunds on 3 seasons tickets and do something else on a saturday afternoon unless they apologize and also get the actual steward to apologize by presenting you kid with a shirt or something at the next home game. Who are these people that dont have a clue, and how do they get employed?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
If this is true then what a bunch of jobsworths - dont put up with it, ask for refunds on 3 seasons tickets and do something else on a saturday afternoon unless they apologize and also get the actual steward to apologize by presenting you kid with a shirt or something at the next home game. Who are these people that dont have a clue, and how do they get employed?

Actually, they are just following what they are told to do. You can't be re-admitted for legal reasons.

I'm not saying it's right at all, just pointing it out! :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just listened to the interview. Quite a lot of waffle, no solutions to the fans frustrations and no acknowledgement of a problem. This won't have made any difference to the stewards attitude towards the life blood of the football club imo.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Actually, they are just following what they are told to do. You can't be re-admitted for legal reasons.

I'm certainly not going to argue with a fellow supporter, but where is the common sense in this...?

My son is a long-standing STH.......how difficult is it, for the steward to look at his tickets. If the steward is so stupid, he cannot 'remember' the situation for my son leaving with my grandson for a few minutes.........what is this thicko doing, being a steward...?

Much of the debate about 'stewarding' has really been about the lack of common sense.........!

Obviously, their leader Richard Hebberd, has had a 'common sense' by-pass.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
So, was it business as usual regarding the response stewards in H/J block?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can I ask the people in H block who think it's necessary to stand the entire game, why you do that ?

Is your view restricted or is there another reason ?

My son (STH) attended the match today, with his 7 year old son (my grandson). It is the first time my grandson has his own season ticket. Unfortunately, my grandson had toothache, and despite putting a brave face on it during the first-half.........the pain was too much for him and his dad had to pop him home at the end of the first half.

That in itself is a very stupid ruling and had a similar experience when I tried asked to pop outside to get a poncho for something getting wet in the disabled area.

Don't want to throw petrol on the fire, but I was spoken to very very rudely (even after explaining the situation) and I'm as nice as can be to the stewards.

This was a few seasons ago - and someone from the supporters club who overheard it, went and got me one from "behind the scenes...".

There is now a quite obvious them and us attitude on both sides. From the people standing in H block and the gang of stewards at the bottom. In their defence, they are probably feeling a bit threatened by the current situation and are acting er.. accordingly.

What I witnessed today was a stand off - pure and simple.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Also the ground rules on standing were printed in the program today.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'm sorry, but that is bollocks. There are all kinds of public, ticketed events that you can leave and gain readmission, with a pass-out or whatever. Just issue every steward with some pass-outs, they'd hardly be used but would get round this sort of pathetic situation described earlier with the guy's son. I actually can't believe he wasn't let back in, incredible.

Feb 14, 2010
its the "cant do" attitude that was so obvious with the bloke on the radio. Let the customers sort out different ways of watching. Some want to stand and shout, some dont, some want a mix, you choose your area of the ground accordingly. stewards should be there to help not hinder, its really not difficult, would love to see this bloke at anfield and write in the program "Dear members of The Kop, please sit down" :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Am I alone in thinking that they will simply fall back on the most despised, misused and abused three words in the English laguage, Health and Safety?

I would need a lot of convincing that there will ever be a meaningful middle ground between the fans' aspirations and the stewards' fulfillment of their self-perceived obligations.

well I reckon I got that right at least

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You're the sort of aunt that is making the game un-accessible for the likes of myself.

Well done for ruining football!

Get some perspective. ??? When did going to a football match stop being about your team and stop being football. Seriously, I'm asking. Because it's still about supporting my team for me, and amazingly, I get through it without feeling the need to start ranting and raving. Why? Because it's inappropriate. Unless you're having a hissy fit at a referee or opponent!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
They don't really understand anything do they.

My son asked if he could be re-admitted after taking my grandson home to his mum....................'NO' was the answer.

Wankers.

Richard Hebbard........you can shove your pontificating views up your arse as far as you can get them.................and if it's anything like your mouth, that will be a considerable distance.

Bang out of order from that steward. I would be straight on the phone to the club monday morning wanting answers.

I once at Brentford away had my mates ticket. I had arranged to meet him at one of the 4 corner pubs, but forgot and entered the ground. Luckily for me the Brentford stewards were spot on, allowed me out to give the ticket to my mate and let me back in, no problem. Our stewards have alot to learn.

In the interview Bulkham spoke well. Hebbard on the other hand spoke like a complete wanker.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Get some perspective. ??? When did going to a football match stop being about your team and stop being football. Seriously, I'm asking. Because it's still about supporting my team for me, and amazingly, I get through it without feeling the need to start ranting and raving. Why? Because it's inappropriate. Unless you're having a hissy fit at a referee or opponent!

Don't patronise me you fucktard.

The game I grew up with and fell in love as a child is a different game to the game that is about today. Why? Because it's full of cuntiods such as yourself moaning about people swearing.

You get some f***ing perspective, else we'll become as sanistised as yank sports and it'll be more about Pepsi Cola than a nuclear bovril and pissing through a rolled up programme!

****!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Don't believe that. At rugby matches, it's common practice for fans to nip outside of the ground for a fag and be readmitted. While I don't go along with some of the stick the stewards get, if this story is true then it's a disgrace - they obviously have no common sense at all.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I have just listened to the whole interview on 'Roar'............well done TLO.......good interview.

Apart from a lot of fudging by both Hebberd and Balkham, it is very clear that PC Balkham has a good understanding of football supporters viewpoint and realise that the 'friendly approach' will be far more productive, but Richard Hebberd................?? WTF...!

Hebberd has no real idea of football supporting at all.It was like listening to a robot, that has no ability to admit any deviation from the rules..........unless it involves 850 away supporters standing, which he clearly states that the stewards will not intervene. Yet, if it is 4or 5 Brighton supporters standing........his stewards ARE instructed to intervene.

This, apparently (hebberds own words) is OK , because we are the home supporters, so therefore should know the rules and the 850 away supporters who are standing, are only here once a year. Now, either the 'no standing' rule is national or it isn't.

Make your mind up Hebberd.

Personally, listening to Hebberd giving an account of his career, he sounds a bit 'past it' to be honest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't patronise me you fucktard.

The game I grew up with and fell in love as a child is a different game to the game that is about today. Why? Because it's full of cuntiods such as yourself moaning about people swearing.

You get some f***ing perspective, else we'll become as sanistised as yank sports and it'll be more about Pepsi Cola than a nuclear bovril and pissing through a rolled up programme!

****!

This. Though I have to admit I've never had the pleasure of pissing through a rolled up programme. Maybe I'll try it at peterborough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here