Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 11 Sep - WITH GUESTS RICHARD HEBBERD & PC DARREN BALKHAM

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just listened to it on the train home and I thought it was a very good program and both presenters and guests put their cases forward very well.

Some issues can easily be resolved by common sense which should be applied as in CJD issue however the rules on standing are very clear and home fans visit the ground every other week so therefore the club and stewards know who you are and where you sit so if you stand and get into trouble it is easy to understand why.

Also the point about lack of noise was something I had never thought of before and how easy it is to hear what is said on the pitch.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
With respect Beach Hut, the bloke on the radio from the albion wouldnt last 5 minutes at Liverpool telling the Kop to sit down, or Goodison, or Leeds, or Spurs, or Leicester or Forest or west Ham, I can go on.

The way forward is to have a word with Dick Knight. He is still involved, he remembers the fans during the Archer years and he can have a word with Tony Bloom, who in turn can tell the steward bloke on the radio to wind his neck in and remind him that actually its the customer that is important, and they are they to help not hinder.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect if we were any of these teams with those type of crowds then yes the attitude would be different however we are not but things may change.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
and stand for 90 minutes. hopefully,

:love:

Sadly it's against the law, not ideal, but like drug dealing, drink driving, murder and driving whilst using a mobile phone, it's not allowed, and won't be allowed.

"Those are the rules", "It's the law" and "If people stuck to the rules there wouldn't be a problem .

So where do you stand on blokes who reckon they can drive perfectly well after 4 pints even though it goes above the LEGAL limitfor driving, or age limits on kids driving, or shops selling fags to under 18s? All rules, all imposed by democratically elected bodies? Are you simply happy to break those rules, or are you happy to simply break any rules or laws that simply don't suit you?

With respect Beach Hut, the bloke on the radio from the albion wouldnt last 5 minutes at Liverpool telling the Kop to sit down, or Goodison, or Leeds, or Spurs, or Leicester or Forest or west Ham, I can go on.

What the hell does it have to do with them?

Last edited:

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Sadly it's against the law, not ideal, but like drug dealing, drink driving, murder and driving whilst using a mobile phone, it's not allowed, and won't be allowed.

So where do you stand on blokes who reckon they can drive perfectly well after 4 pints even though it goes above the LEGAL limitfor driving, or age limits on kids driving, or shops selling fags to under 18s? All rules, all imposed by democratically elected bodies? Are you simply happy to break those rules, or are you happy to simply break any rules or laws that simply don't suit you?

What the hell does it have to do with them?

Not really the same is it superphil? Drink driving and using the phone at the wheel can kill people. Standing on the spot, shouting as loud as possible to try and create an atmoshere is hardly going to kill someone.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My point is, these are the rules, and if we didn't have rules where would we be? Joking aside, my point is, rules and laws are not in fact there to be broken, I used to drive about 5 days a week, on the phone for probably 25% of the time, and I never even cane so much as close to an accident, let alone kill someone, however, when the law was changed to make this illegal I simply got a car kit. It's the way it is, it might not suit some people, but it does suit others. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid advocatory of standing, swearing and not letting football get sanitised, but I also hVe no love of being arrested, charged or chucked out. 30-40 years ago drink driving was never considered anything more that high jinks, things change, football ground rules (and laws) change. Get over it

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

The difference is that this is a ridiculous and outdated law, which you've demonstrated on this thread with your own observations and experience in Cyprus.

There's evidence to suggest that it's unpopular with football fans. At what point do you just accept a law that the majority dislike because that's what you've been told to do. Unfortunately they've got us by the short and curlies on this one, things only get change if you cause a massive scene, and fans in general don't seem to dislike it enough to cause that scene

Feb 14, 2010
drink driving is illegal in Liverpool, Leeds, London. What does it have to do with them? Simple mate, we are under the same law, and if they wont make the Kop sit down and have "snatch squads" of stewards trying to make them, then they shouldn't try and intimidate kids at Brighton either. This steward fella needs to read Build a Bonfire and Dick Knight / Tony Boom need to have a word in his ear as he is upsetting the clubs customers, and not helping the team as he is stopping an atmosphere.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What is Hebberd's personal view of the current UK alcohol ban regulations at sporting stadia, and would he be in favour of any relaxation of the rules (if it was on the national agenda) so that people could drink from plastic glasses in the stands, or in view of the pitch?

The ban has been in place since 1985, but football is a very different experience now, and grounds are also very different places.

Supporters are allowed to drink in the stands at top-class rugby matches, and while football supporters probably deserved that discrimination and second-class treatment in the 1980s, it is hard to see why they still do.

I forgot to mention that I asked this question before we went out on air (never got round to it while actually on air).

Apparently, the law is that you can drink in sight of the pitch at a rugby ground while watching rugby (e.g. Harlequins at The Stoop), but you can't drink in sight of the pitch at a football ground while watching rugby (e.g. Saracens at Vicarage Road).

RH was non-commital, DB called it 'mad'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here