Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

So is FFP based on "trading loss" not including depreciation? Because the amortisation of a 100million pound stadium over 25 years will be a hit to the accounts of £4m a year. So if we have £15 million loss now, we need to get that down to £8m loss next year. (that is £7million profit plus the £4 million amortisation ) so we need to turn a £11 million profit next year over what we have done this year to hit an 8 million loss.

Where are we going to save £11 million pounds?

Amortisation of stadium and training ground builds and the like are excluded from FFP as are a number of other things including the cost of AITC.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No depreciation for 2012/13 because the stadium was still in the course of construction. It's a bit surprising, but acceptable.

As one of the top Mods, could I ask that when the final accounts are available and you've dissected them, could you start a new thread ? There's too much in this one to spot the real financial posts over the "quirky" ones !

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
With the costs of running a stadium our size, Championship football does not pay the bills. No-one makes money in the Championship.

We have to make the Premier League even if it means we come back down for the huge financial windfalls.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At least we've saved money on the recruitment side now. No need to send countless scouts on trips abroad. Just let David and his team fire up their second-hand copy of Football Manager 2008/9 and find the players there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The FFP rules state that investment in infrastructure need not be included in accounts submitted to them although they will be included in the statutory accounts.

really?

So for FFP, is the trading profit/loss figure purely based on the playing side of the business + the day to day running costs, nothing to do with capital costs?

If so surly that is bad accounting as you must take into account amortisation/depreciation of your assets against your profit ( whichever way you do it in your annual accounts)

Sorry AAD just seen your post.

So it is purely based on trading then.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
No. Those costs are excluded, as the stadium and training ground is owned by a separate company, and my understanding is that those costs are not written off to the profit and loss account until the stadium and training grounds are completed.

So losses will be worse (next year?) when these costs are incorporated, although as I understand it they won't count in the FFP equation?

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With the costs of running a stadium our size, Championship football does not pay the bills. No-one makes money in the Championship.

We have to make the Premier League even if it means we come back down for the huge financial windfalls.

or what?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What's needed is a Europe wide, club level, salary cap system. That's never going to happen.

It won't happen because it contravenes EU employment law. So it won't happen so long as the EU stays as it. It also won't happen if the UK decides to leave the EU. It could happen if there is a change to EU employment law.
This would entail one hell of a struggle.
Ultimately, we need to accept that regulation at various levels is not some evil -- produced by an EU or global super-state -- but something that can bring benefits. This would be one of those benefits.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would be more happy having a competitive Championship team which was affordable to watch than a struggling mid table down Premier League team who overpaid average players, charged a lot for tickets, and was interested only in competing with the other bottom eight clubs.

What is the POINT of having the Premier League millions unless you are one of the teams competing at the top end?

I totally agree.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I am still struggling with why commercial (including ticketing) income has gone up so little despite the significant increase in gates. EP has suggested shirt sales were in the '2nd year' category but I can't believe that is a very significant factor. One area I have heard feedback on (from people who work at the Stadium) is that in Year 2, the novelty of Xmas parties, functions etc had subsided - and in truth many felt were poor value for money - and had dipped significantly.

TLO - any chance of getting Barber on with EP this Saturday (or when the detailed accounts are available) so we could have a forensic public debate on all this?

PG

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Delighted to say El Pres will be a guest on the Albion Roar this week.

I'll try to understand what he'll be on about. I can always pretend.

No-one expects you to. Give your expert guests the time to make their points, and do not worry too much that not all your audience will follow all of it. You should collect questions from NSC - there are some knowledgeable people on here.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
None. He's not available on matchdays.

It's quite short notice, and the accounts aren't even available for minute scrutiny yet.

Fair enough Al re. this Saturday. But that's why I suggested 'when the detailed accounts are available'. Got to be worth a try.

PG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps that's the way forward - establish ourselves as a competitive Championship team, flirting with the playoff each year, and really focus on going as far as possible in both cup competitions - after all, this is the only place where any vestige of 'romance' in football remains.

But it remains to be seem how competitive we can be in an FFP world where there will be a constant cycle of teams who have massively higher tv income, and an initial years amnesty on FFP allowing them to pay the best players the fees they want leaving the clubs who don't have that income having to settle for lesser players.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So losses will be worse (next year?) when these costs are incorporated, although as I understand it they won't count in the FFP equation?

PG

They will be for the parent company but not the Albion itself, as the club does not own the stadium.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
One way to bring in revenue From BBC website.

Brazilian First Division club Gremio are to open their own chain of fast food restaurants in a bid to diversify and bring in cash to sign new players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here